• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the rest of this series just be a preparation for Australia's subcontinent tours?

Gob

International Coach
Seems kind of pointless given Australia will probably cancel the tour(s) on security/covid/workload grounds anyway like they have in recent times.
They'll definitely go to India

Sri Lanka will depend on the Covid situation by the time.

Pakistan is the least certain out of the 3 since there are both Covid and security issues but its also the first to happen

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
As another senior CW member (I'm a few years older) I can sympathise with that sort of condition. My 'good' hip (the other has been replaced) is bone-on-bone and extremely painful.
Hi L-and-L - sorry I looked but couldn’t locate your name on the CW site:(

it’s always a good feeling to meet one’s seniors on CW. Doesn’t just make one feel good about one’s “youth” but also because you find a similarity of view that is not always the case with the ‘fitter’ lot ;)

I hope I am not heading for anything beyond another three months on a diet of pain/killers . . . But then who knows .

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Let Root know. Maybe you have a shot to open at the SCG for them.
Ha ha - In my present state I couldn’t even hold the door open for the team . . . As if I could do much more if fitter and younger ;)
By the way, Root gets simply too much of the June’s for England’s performance. No captain in England (or elsewhere on the planet) could make up for the disaster that is the English batting unit (Root the only exception)

The bowling is decent enough although it may become difficult for them to hold up their end with the ball.

I always worried about what the short and shorter forms of the game have done to bring down the batting skills around the world while making life for the bowlers a miserable existence.

But then I look at the Indian batting and see how they are still holding up the flag for batsmanship. I thought they would collapse under the weight of what IPL would do to their skills.

I also hoped that batting in the other countries, specifically England, would not decline as much thanks to the ‘firmness’ of their first class game and the weight of their being sticklers for the conventional technical game at the crease.

I was soooo wrong.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ha ha - In my present state I couldn’t even hold the door open for the team . . . As if I could do much more if fitter and younger ;)
By the way, Root gets simply too much of the June’s for England’s performance. No captain in England (or elsewhere on the planet) could make up for the disaster that is the English batting unit (Root the only exception)

The bowling is decent enough although it may become difficult for them to hold up their end with the ball.

I always worried about what the short and shorter forms of the game have done to bring down the batting skills around the world while making life for the bowlers a miserable existence.

But then I look at the Indian batting and see how they are still holding up the flag for batsmanship. I thought they would collapse under the weight of what IPL would do to their skills.

I also hoped that batting in the other countries, specifically England, would not decline as much thanks to the ‘firmness’ of their first class game and the weight of their being sticklers for the conventional technical game at the crease.

I was soooo wrong.
‘Root gets simply too much of the June’s for England’s performance.’

Apologies. I have no clue what that June’s was doing there. :(

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Hey SJS. Hope you’re feeling better soon mate. Look after yourself. Nice to hear from you.
Hi Burgey mate.

What a delight to even read and then type out your pseudonym. Brings back so many wonderful memories.

Thanks for the good wishes - I intend to be back as fit as I can be. ?

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
I'm not sure if there are any guys the selectors will be desperate to get a look at before the tours except for maybe Swepson. The back-up seamers are now obvious. The back-up bats will be depend on the Shield, with Renshaw getting a bit of credit for his reasonable performances in India as a 20 year old.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope you get better soon SJS. I like it when we get older folks in here to offer their insights on the game.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for the “get well” greetings Stephen. I intend to do just that . . . Hopefully :)

As for “offering insights” those are tricky words. Offering words is easy but whether they are seen as insight or just babble depends on the audience.

The internet chat groups are a painfully great place to learn that lesson. ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
As another senior CW member (I'm a few years older) I can sympathise with that sort of condition. My 'good' hip (the other has been replaced) is bone-on-bone and extremely painful.
Sorry to hear that. What stops you from getting the second one replaced - just wondering. Age ? Bones do become brittle don’t they and screwing the metal parts in can be dicey I guess ?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Every young cricketer MUST be made to watch England’s batting to understand what is meant by the term poor** footwork.

** I meant terrible/hopeless/deplorable/atrocious (all of them)
Good to see you back SJS! Seeing you post, and specially about footwork, brought back a lot of old memories from when I was more actively posting at CW. Hope you stick around and get to enjoy some great cricket in the coming days and months. :)