• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the cricket world call it stumps for West Indies cricket?

Should the cricket world call it stumps for West Indies?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2 tier system would end up being a farce. Picture this: say at the end of each cycle, the bottom 2 sides of tier 1 swap with the top 2 sides of tier 2. You'd get for example, NZ and SL being demoted for WI and Banglas. There is no guarantee that WI and Banglas will be better sides than NZ and SL, in fact it's highly unlikely. So then for the next cycle you'd get Bangla and WI being thrashed by everyone (much as it is now) and NZ and SL dominating tier 2 and literally having not a single competitive game ever except against each other.

edit: ^and as the above guy mentioned, how the **** are NZ and SL in this situation supposed to remain viable financially and keep fans interested.

2 tiers for Tests is stupid and irrelevant in this context.

Last edited:

Ryan19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Michael Clarke played 115 tests. 57 of those tests were against India and England. It's not like Australia are being subjected to a lot of low quality test matches regardless

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I also agree that it's harsh to judge them on performances in Australia. They were improving as a test nation last year or so. Australia can be a tough place to tour.
They've apparently been improving for the last 10 years or more but the record remains totally dire.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Clarke played 115 tests. 57 of those tests were against India and England. It's not like Australia are being subjected to a lot of low quality test matches regardless
Another reason why Aus supporters complaining is annoying. In the history of cricket Aus have played just 4 tests against Bangla and 3 against Zim, ever. We generally get pretty good series.

But the real tragedy is that this is the boxing day test. We can't have this on Boxing day. Even when England toured and were thrashed 5-0, or when India were here last year, the games were more competitive.

Slifer

International Captain
No. WI are woeful atm but if I recall most teams who have toured Australia recently have been demolished. In fact for the most part, most teams have been awful on the road. Also, I think we need to give Oz credit for playing their usual brand of positive cricket. I just hope the Oz fans don't think that recent performances are any sign of a resurgence.I'd certainly be behind a two tier system. WI are not good enough to play the top teams (especially away).

Ps wi selectors are dumb as?*es.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I have rather unfortunately lurked around some west indian cricket boards over the past few days and was completely oblivious to the amount of nationalistic infighting amongst fans. Is there generally this much bitterness and angst amongst the islands?

Slifer

International Captain
I have rather unfortunately lurked around some west indian cricket boards over the past few days and was completely oblivious to the amount of nationalistic infighting amongst fans. Is there generally this much bitterness and angst amongst the islands?
It's not to the level of say India and Pakistan but it's more along the lines of an England and Scotland. I was in the wi 2 years ago and trust me there's still plenty of interest in cricket, yes even tests. We need outside administrators to inject their unbiased opinions and strategies....

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It would be terrible if teams can only play within their tier. How do you think New Zealand Cricket would fund their domestic competitions and youth development if they didn't have bumper tours against India and Australia? I think the best test cricket countries shouldn't have to play the worst teams much. A division structure which cuts the next tier off entirely just reinforces that separation.
You would have to allow for off-tier Test series which do count towards points tallies in your tier table in some way. If NZ were in tier 2, I would think England and Australia would still be keen to play them at least. Something like a minimum 3 Test series for teams in your tier, and a one or two test minimum for inter-tier challenges. And obviously no automatic promotion/relegation - a five test series, three tests at the home of the tier one team, two tests played at the home of the tier two team should work.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
WI haven't been great but making any major decisions based on the results of an australian home series is a terrible idea

Tom Flint

International Regular
There is lots of hope. Braithwaite is a sound disciplined young opener..bravo is more suited to tests so should remain in the format until he retires..holder if he continues to improve his batting can become the most effective all rounder in the world and in bishop have a great leggy as the Aussies found out last year. If they could negotiate and manage to tempt a few of the very talented players back from t20s they could have a very competitive team. Also think gayle could do a job still at the top of the order, must be better than hope chandrika ect

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
It's painful to watch West Indies in test cricket. I can't even remember when they last won a test match. Sounds like they are quite disinterested in test cricket.

Slifer

International Captain
It certainly doesn't help their cause to constantly play test matches with essentially 5 batsmen and 5 bowlers. Ramdhin is far from good enough to come in at 6 and holder is not an allrounder. Play a conventional lineup.

Tom Flint

International Regular
It certainly doesn't help their cause to constantly play test matches with essentially 5 batsmen and 5 bowlers. Ramdhin is far from good enough to come in at 6 and holder is not an allrounder. Play a conventional lineup.
I agree. Holder could become an all rounder in time but at the moment Blackwood ramdin and holder are batting one spot too high. Dwayne bravo would fit perfectly in at no. 6 but that option couldn't seem further away

Slifer

International Captain
Well then play four other bowlers...can't go against the grain with mediocre players and expect results. Outside of a wi team from the early 90s I don't expect a wi team to win a test. But they keeping tying their hands with this stupid lineup combo.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Well then play four other bowlers...can't go against the grain with mediocre players and expect results. Outside of a wi team from the early 90s I don't expect a wi team to win a test. But they keeping tying their hands with this stupid lineup combo.
all the problems with WI cricket and you think swapping one bowler for a batsman will change anything? talk about rearranging deckchairs

Redbacks

International Captain
The administration of the sport is not likely to produce a test standard team. Probably a 10-15 year process before they could be back competing with the top tier.