• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the Black Caps do the haka?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
ohtani's jacket said:
Australia tried this once and were sorry they ever did it.
I dunno. I remember Campese doing much the same in a WC game years ago (maybe the 1991 semifinal) - spent the time kicking the ball around and generally minding his own business whilst the All Blacks did their thing - and then ran in a couple of tries to put NZ out of the competition. I've never been a fan, tbh. If it ever was a welcoming routine, it's pd obvious that it's supposed to be intimidatory nowadays, and I don't really see why the opposition should just stand there & put up with it. I know that puts me in a minority of 2, but there you go.

EDIT
But the picture of Vettori is great. :D

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
Since when was it a tradition to do war dances (or whatever type of dance it is) in a rugby game?
Since rugby was first played in New Zealand and since the Natives' tour of Britain in the 1880s. Do some research.

As for the cricketers doing the haka. No.

God, no. It should be restricted to the All Blacks and the Kiwis. The Tall Blacks look ridiculous doing it.

Hazza

U19 Cricketer
Although the Haka has a history I couldn't imagine the New Zealand players lead by Stephen Fleming walking out into the middle and doing it. Seems a little ungentlemanly if you ask me.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously the haka has no place in cricket, but there is no need to disrespect it like that.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
Since rugby was first played in New Zealand and since the Natives' tour of Britain in the 1880s. Do some research.

As for the cricketers doing the haka. No.

God, no. It should be restricted to the All Blacks and the Kiwis. The Tall Blacks look ridiculous doing it.
Agreed. Over the last few years a couple more of our national teams have taken it up, when it has little or no relevance to their sport. I know that the ABs, Kiwis, mens hockey team, and basketball team do it, but who else? Softball?

Next up: wheelchair rugby.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't know about the haka, but I think every team should have to come up with a team dance to perform before the game. Possibly a conga line out to the toss, Warney and McGrath doing the Lambada, Trescothick doing a modern contemporary dance (obviously not requiring any footwork) and so on...it would be fantastic, and everyone in the crowd would go home that much richer from the experience! :D

Scaly piscine

Voltman said:
I meant since when was there a tradition overall in rugby, not one just for one team specifically.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
I meant since when was there a tradition overall in rugby, not one just for one team specifically.
Put simply, it evolved from the New Zealand Natives tour. Other Pacific Islands - Fiji with the cibi, Samoa with the sivi tau and Tonga with the, umm.... - have all been doing it for as long as I remember.

As I said, the Natives tour - a totally Maori team, bar four players - introduced it to Britain in the 1880s, and it has always been part of rugby, particularly when NZ plays, since.

Even when the All Blacks tried to do away with it in the 1960s-1970s, the British rugby public asked for its return.

Many traditions start with one country, but it's a tradition.

I take it you want Samoa, Fiji and Tonga to get rid of theirs?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It's a haka that has a lot more relevance to what the All Blacks are about. I like it (although my view may be slightly coloured by the fact I was at Carisbrook when they unveiled it). The throat-slitting gesture may be going though.

Scaly piscine

Voltman said:
Put simply, it evolved from the New Zealand Natives tour. Other Pacific Islands - Fiji with the cibi, Samoa with the sivi tau and Tonga with the, umm.... - have all been doing it for as long as I remember.

As I said, the Natives tour - a totally Maori team, bar four players - introduced it to Britain in the 1880s, and it has always been part of rugby, particularly when NZ plays, since.

Even when the All Blacks tried to do away with it in the 1960s-1970s, the British rugby public asked for its return.

Many traditions start with one country, but it's a tradition.

I take it you want Samoa, Fiji and Tonga to get rid of theirs?
As said before, it's more the thing that the other team is supposed to observe in awe that irks me, if a team wants to spend some of their warm-up time dancing fine - but both teams should be able to do what they like.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Voltman said:
It's a haka that has a lot more relevance to what the All Blacks are about. I like it (although my view may be slightly coloured by the fact I was at Carisbrook when they unveiled it). The throat-slitting gesture may be going though.
Not trying to be funny, but in what way? Seems like the other version has been around for donkey's years.

No point having traditions if they get changed... :p

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
As said before, it's more the thing that the other team is supposed to observe in awe that irks me, if a team wants to spend some of their warm-up time dancing fine - but both teams should be able to do what they like.
I don't have any problem with the opposition being able to do what they like. In fact, I would prefer it if the IRB got rid of the stupid law which requires the opposition to stand behind their own 10-metre line. The response of the Irish to the haka in 1989 was awesome.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Not trying to be funny, but in what way? Seems like the other version has been around for donkey's years.

No point having traditions if they get changed... :p
BB,

A look at the translations will explain:

Ka Mate! Ka Mate!
Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra
A upane ka upane!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!!

English Translation:
It is death! It is death!
It is life! It is life!
This is the hairy person
Who caused the sun to shine
Keep abreast! Keep abreast
The rank! Hold fast!
Into the sun that shines!

Kapo o pango haka:

This haka was first performed by the All Blacks versus South Africa on 27 August 2005 at Carisbrook, Dunedin. The All Blacks won 31 - 27. This haka was written by Ngati Porou's Derek Lardelli. This haka will only be performed before special test matches.

Kapa o pango kia whakawhenua au i ahau!
Let me become one with the land
Hi aue, hi!
Ko Aotearoa e ngunguru nei!

This is our land that rumbles
Au, au, aue ha!
And it's my time! It's my moment!
Ko Kapa o Pango e ngunguru nei!
This defines us as the All Blacks
Au, au, aue ha!
It's my time! It's my moment!
I ahaha!
Ka tu te ihiihi

Our dominance
Ka tu te wanawana
Our supremacy will triumph
Ki runga ki te rangi e tu iho nei,
tu iho nei, hi!

And will be placed on high
Ponga ra!
Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi!
All Blacks!
Ponga ra!
Silver fern!
Kapa o Pango, aue hi, ha!
All Blacks!
http://www.nzallblacks.net/haka.asp

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ah, fair enough then. Unfortunately Maori wasn't an option when I did my GCSEs. :p

Guess it's just familiarity that makes me prefer the other one really.

& to answer the question that forms the title of this thread: no, no they shouldn't. Seems faintly ridiculous that your basketball team (a non-contact sport, IIRC) does one IMHO!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ka Mate is about a chief, Te Rauparaha, hiding from his enemies in a pit. The pit was covered over and a woman stood on top of it to hide him. Although it did mean he could supposedly see her, ahem.... more delicate parts - which is taboo in Maori culture...

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
I don't have any problem with the opposition being able to do what they like. In fact, I would prefer it if the IRB got rid of the stupid law which requires the opposition to stand behind their own 10-metre line. The response of the Irish to the haka in 1989 was awesome.

I can't believe that the Irish could keep a straight face