• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Kenya be given test status

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Will people stop including WC warm up games in these comparisons.

Its enough to drive anyone crazy. :@

Also, Twenty/20 games should not be in ODI comparisons.

TikoBestAssoPla

Cricket Spectator
What are u talking about Chemo!!! i am the biggest Kenyan fan around :laugh: The demise of Zimbabwe cricket, Bangladesh introduction to test cricket too early and the constant wrangling of the KCA destroyed any chance of us getting test status.All i want is ICC to give us back the permanent ODI status and schedule more ODIs.....Super 8 here we come byebye England!!!! :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not all teams are equal. Otherwise Rodger Federer and Vincent Spadea wont be playing in the same tour and Man U and Man City won't be playing in the same league. For the last 2 years Bangladesh have been winning enough matches in limited overs matches.

As for test matches I agree that Bangladesh have still did not get to that level to compete regularly with the top countries.
Football and tennis analogies are NOT appropriate. Cricket is a different game, totally.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I am not looking at the results..i am looking at the progress and there is certainly some progress there..
There's usually some progress there - until it becomes progress to a certain level (ie being able to compete with other teams) they don't deserve the status.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will people stop including WC warm up games in these comparisons.

Its enough to drive anyone crazy. :@

Also, Twenty/20 games should not be in ODI comparisons.
It's just complete straw-clutching and from certain types I'd expect little else.

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
You also have to consider that Bangladesh did not play any test match in last one year, when they were on pick of form.
There is more to it than this.Being successful in ODIs won't be bringing success in the longer version of the game too. Bangladesh would never be able to compete at test level until their first class cricket structure is strengthed. A country where club cricket is still preferred over first class cricket cannot expect to do well so easily in test matches.

But in the limited overs version things have really started to change. Bangladesh have just lost one of their last 20 matches against Zimbabwe, Kenya and the associates. Even India and Sri Lanka have lost more than one match in their last 20 matches against the same opponents. Moreover their performance against the top teams in the limited overs versions of the game is just a notch below England, a established cricketing super power.

Last edited:

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Football and tennis analogies are NOT appropriate.
That's according to you and to the best of my knowledge not the majority of sports loving people. To most sports loving person, a sporting meet needs both 'Man U and Man City', 'Alonso and Kubica', 'Federer and Spadea', Sri lanka and Bangladesh', unless ofcourse you believe in a elitist society.

People having similar mentality are also conspiring to destroy the Premier League by making plans to launch the European Super League. But these kind of elitist hopefully will never prevail and Wigan and Bangladeshi players will continue to add to the charm of premiership and ODIs respectively.

Last edited:

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
It was never been.
Not that it will never change.Slavery did go when southern forces were defeated but the mentality of some of those Southerns took time to change. Time is what is needed for these types to change, so dont worry about it mate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's according to you and to the best of my knowledge not the majority of sports loving people. To most sports loving person, a sporting meet needs both 'Man U and Man City', 'Alonso and Kubica', 'Federer and Spadea', Sri lanka and Bangladesh', unless ofcourse you believe in a elitist society.

People having similar mentality are also conspiring to destroy the Premier League by making plans to launch the European Super League. But these kind of elitist hopefully will never prevail and Wigan and Bangladeshi players will continue to add to the charm of premiership and ODIs respectively.
Comparing domestic to international is not 100% accurate in any case.

Simple fact of the matter is, cricket is elitist and that's how most people want it to stay. To play at a certain level, you have to be good enough - otherwise we'd just have Test and ODI cricket between anyone who showed the slightest interest - be that Argentina, Uganda or The Faroe Islands.

To most people in other sports, the feudal system barely matters - in international terms, in most sports, there isn't one. There are leagues in, for example, domestic football, and the format there is simple.

Cricket, however, isn't like that and I'd imagine most people want it to stay that way.

dass

Banned
there was a point around 1996-1997 when kenya were the strongest minnow side even more then Bangladesh, during around that time they should have been encouraged more to play stronger sides, to tell u the truth i think ICC has been really slow in giving kenya chances, i mean they gave Bangladesh their chance around 6 or 7 years ago and look how Bangladesh has improved over the last few years, to me kenya have always been one of the most enthusiastics minnow sides but for some reason ICC ignores them for the most part.

MiRPuRi ExPreSS

Cricket Spectator
Bangladesh were lucky because they had the backing of the asian sides. Back then Kenya were easily a better side than Bangladesh, probably getting good enough to compete with a full strength Zimbabwe, but the ICC failed them and right now they should have been a test side but the ICC doesnt know how to develop its ICC teams into test teams. Kenya should be given a series of four day games against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh and if it performs then chances should be given in 4 day games against the lower ranked test teams, NZ and WI, and if they can compete they should be given test status

MiRPuRi ExPreSS

Cricket Spectator
Peoples biggest fear of these sides getting test status is not that they will get battered day in day out, but will improve the averages of average players from other teams and give away easy records. All cricket fans love keeping track of stats and dont want them to be ruined by allowing minnows in.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Richard said:
Hmm, Ravi Ratnayeke and the like tend to strike me as being better than the Shahadat Hossains and the like of this World, if only by a bit...
Camberwell Magpies bowling coach... :cool:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Another claim to fame... (alongside being the only Sri Lankan seamer to take a five-for at Lord's)

Is he a well-regarded coach, BTW?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Helps out on a pretty casual basis, and has worked more with the pacemen - naturally. He's been alright from what others have said, I suppose. Certainly nothing "wrong" with what he's done.