• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Kenya be given test status

Slow Love™

International Captain
My answer to the original question is no.

Are they playing five-day (or four-day) cricket on a regular basis domestically in Kenya ATM? I may be getting confused, but I thought a short while ago the answer to that was no. How about Bangladesh? Until that's true, it should not even be a matter of consideration (and if it is the case, forgive my ignorance - I haven't been keeping tabs on the situation) in the slightest.

BTW, though Banga was a mistake, I do like seeing them do well, and it does seem as though they are making some kind of progress, and are a lot more competitive of late. It's hard to judge their performance - people will talk about the games played by minnows in earlier eras, but in some ways, it's deceptive, given that the same core of players can participate in quite a lot of international cricket. I think you need to see a few generations of players go by over a decent time frame.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
short answer: not yet

long answer:
Methinks The Intercontinental cup matches (the current First class competition for top associates nations) should be converted into a full or at least second tier Tests with bigger financial rewards and (maybe even a shot at a weaker test team in a full test series) aimed at giving teams like Kenya, Ireland and Scotland the necessary funds to go ahead with incentives like Domestic First Class competitions, central contracts for national squad members etc... so when the time comes they will be much more capable to swim in the main Test arena

to slow love, No Kenya does not have a Domestic First class competiton, It was propsed a few months back but Cricket Kenya has yet to raise the neccesary funds to actually get it running.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just FYI, Jesse (Slow Love™) isn't actually around at present and won't read your reply. :)

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
short answer: not yet

long answer:
Methinks The Intercontinental cup matches (the current First class competition for top associates nations) should be converted into a full or at least second tier Tests with bigger financial rewards and (maybe even a shot at a weaker test team in a full test series) aimed at giving teams like Kenya, Ireland and Scotland the necessary funds to go ahead with incentives like Domestic First Class competitions, central contracts for national squad members etc... so when the time comes they will be much more capable to swim in the main Test arena

to slow love, No Kenya does not have a Domestic First class competiton, It was propsed a few months back but Cricket Kenya has yet to raise the neccesary funds to actually get it running.
You have it right regarding funds. If the ICC had the balls to take away the 11mil that Zim get and redistribute it equally between the top 7 Associates (include Zim in this), you would give them enough financial backing to introduce First class competition domestically. That has to happen for any current Associate before they can even consider Test status. Once it does happen, it will be realistically at least 5 years minimum of first class domestic cricket before the current Associates could compete with a Test side. It could and should happen. The money is there, it just needs to be distributed properly.

Even if standards are brought up however, I still think a two tier system is the only way to go given the current amount of cricket already being played.

sideshowtim

Banned
No. No side should be given Test status for some time. Kenya had a fortunate 2003 World Cup but since then have gone nowhere but backwards. With Tikolo's retirement imminent they are only going to get worse too. No way in hell do they deserve Test status.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we've already got two more Test sides than we should have at this moment in time, the last thing we need is another.

I hope for the sake of cricketing development in the smaller countries that the above statement ceases to be true as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Kenyan keeper Otiento (sp) hasn't been offered a contract for Kenya so is heading to Caboolture in Queensland to play out his career, after having a stint there last season.

Chemosit

First Class Debutant
The Kenyan keeper Otiento (sp) hasn't been offered a contract for Kenya so is heading to Caboolture in Queensland to play out his career, after having a stint there last season.
Otieno hasn't been Kenyan keeper for about a year now. He was dropped after alleged disciplinary issues during the tour of Zimbabwe and Bangladesh.
Maurice Ouma is the current keeper and opener, but is yet to prove as effective as Otieno on the international scene, certainly in terms of big scores.
That said, Ouma is 11 years younger and the stats are not too dissimilar:

Otieno averaged 23 in ODIs and 24 in First Class.
Ouma averages 18 in ODIs and 24 in First Class.

Given that and the fact that David Obuya can also keep wicket should the need arise, perhaps it is not surprising Kennedy was left out.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
^^^^^what he said..
Anyway, Otieno has been a great servant of Kenyan cricket and his not being offered a contract probably had as much to do with his availability as much as his age. After all if he is going to be in Australia for large stretches it would be rather difficult for him to be available for each and every national assignment, which is probly the reason players like Rajeb Aga and Mohhammad Sheikh aren't in the squad despite both being in their mid twenties

By the way does anyone know the exact list of players who got offered central contracts? All that is on the public sphere is tis the 2007 world cup squad +5