• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson, you're a star

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I was thinking about this last night. I don't think it's "hype", more rabid fanboyism. Back in like, 2005 and 2006, it was pretty much just me and f00ler arguing the Watson case, mainly on the back of domestic performances for Tasmania and Hampshire (iirc). PEWS was obv. a member but only posted non-sensical rubbish in OT from what I can remember. Since then others have joined, Gelman, Clapham etc

It's comes across as hype because of the polarising effect he has. You either think he's a great cricketer or you think he's trash, there really isn't many in the middle (especially in Australia). We've been arguing the case for so long that the "hype" when he performs well is more relief than anything else. It's not gloating and it's not overstating his abilities, it's pretty much pure joy at his success.
What if you think he's both :ph34r:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS was obv. a member but only posted non-sensical rubbish in OT from what I can remember
Never posted much in OT at all before last year actually. I posted heaps of non-sensical rubbish indeed, but most of it was in CC. I made slightly more sense after 2005 after learning a bit more about the game but then I lost the plot mentally.

My first post which both mentioned Watson and actually made any sense at all was in late 2005.

That was followed by several posts merely indicating my support of him for about a year, after which I started actually arguing his case properly.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Certainly have. :laugh:
It's funny really, because now I actually do have a reputation as a Symonds-hater over here. Back then I rated him about as highly as a lot of people on this forum. I think my constant debates at that other forum (a rugby league PC game forum FWIW) may have played a part in my dislike of the player. Every time he did something vaguely useful, there were five threads started about how much better than Watson he was.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can think of about 10 players who had similar stuff in some of those respects.

One that comes to mind is Scallywag making a "Langer a great cricketer" thread a week or so before he made 191 and 98 (or whatever it was) at The WACA.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
To those who dislike the Watson hype, just wait until Flintoff is back and better than ever, then you'll see what hype is all about :ph34r:

Seriously. I like Watson, I respect him because he's hardly had the luckiest career, thus far. But he comes back, and maybe, just maybe, Australia are going to get a lot out of him in the near future.

Whenever I see he's done well, I think of the likes of Smith, Gelman & EWS. But then thinking of those ****s makes me angry so I punch a wall or something.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
To those who dislike the Watson hype, just wait until Flintoff is back and better than ever, then you'll see what hype is all about :ph34r:

Seriously. I like Watson, I respect him because he's hardly had the luckiest career, thus far. But he comes back, and maybe, just maybe, Australia are going to get a lot out of him in the near future.

Whenever I see he's done well, I think of the likes of Smith, Gelman & EWS. But then thinking of those ****s makes me angry so I punch a wall or something.
:laugh:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

haha, awesome.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Yeah, he's been pretty good throughout this series - with both bat and ball. Good over at the death. Hobart 2002/03, anyone?

I do think he has a lot of potential (even though his injuries, inability to make it in Tests and occassionally innocuous bowling have all frustrated me). It's good to see him live up to it. I mean, it's not like he hasn't before, but the reasons I've listed above have stopped him from doing so consistently.