• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Watson, you're a star

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's never played this sort of tournament before, though. He's never failed to get through something like this.

It's stuff he's previously tried and not managed that'll be the key.
I've seen some crackers from your keyboard. But, this one takes the cake.

pasag

RTDAS
I'd be happy if he just bowled five overs per ODI itbt, split the other five between Symonds and Clarke.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But six straight weeks worth of high pressure 4-over spells, to me, proves a lot more than five games' worth of 10 over quotas broken up into 4, 3 and 2 over spells.

It's not so cut-and-dried in that shorter spells equals less stress; the frequency with which he's bowling them (one every few days over a month and a half) and still walking away unscathed is a top effort by his standards. It's not a conclusive fitness test by any means, but it's enough to merit another go in ODIs if you ask me.
Oh sure but some people around here want him back in the Test side. As an all-rounder, no less. Simply doesn't have either form with the bat or ball in the longer form to justify a Test recall.

Debris

International 12th Man
He is probably going to have to make the side as a batsman who bowls a bit because his bowling has really tailed off.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's never played this sort of tournament before, though. He's never failed to get through something like this.

It's stuff he's previously tried and not managed that'll be the key.
Haha what? He didn't ride around the world on a unicycle while juggling and reciting pi, you realise?. I'm no fan of the format either but it's still the same basic game and the 20/20 tournament obviously has some bearing on his fitness levels for, you know, playing cricket. I really can't fathom how you could think otherwise.

Anyway, people who are questioning Watson's ability at the top level and so on should keep in mind that he's actually been pretty good for a fair while now in ODIs, it's just been between injuries.

Since the start of 2006 he's played 25 ODIs, scored 547 runs @ 36.47 batting in various spots in the order and taken 29 wickets @ 29.38 with an economy rate of 5.17. Nothing spectacular, but fairly solid, and there's been some good runs of form with both bat and ball in that time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha what? He didn't ride around the world on a unicycle while juggling and reciting pi, you realise?. I'm no fan of the format either but it's still the same basic game and the 20/20 tournament obviously has some bearing on his fitness levels for, you know, playing cricket. I really can't fathom how you could think otherwise.
People saying "wow, Watson has managed a whole tournament, he's never done that before" are missing the point. Of course Twenty20 has some resemblence to cricket, but staying fit for a whole tournament of said format having never even attempted such a thing, and had problems with more strenuous things, isn't really much to shout about.

If it turns-out Watson's fitness levels have improved, great, but I don't think this tournament proves a thing towards that.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
If it turns-out Watson's fitness levels have improved, great, but I don't think this tournament proves a thing towards that.
Corrected. Was hugely tempted to change the whole thing to "I'm a douchebag".

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There's a surprise. You've entered a wrongly-positioned double-negative into there BTW.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Of course Twenty20 has some resemblence to cricket, but staying fit for a whole tournament of said format having never even attempted such a thing
The Twenty20 World Championship in which he played one (IIRC?) game before pulling up injured and missing the rest of the tournament is in no way "such a thing" because... ?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasn't that a previous injury that hadn't healed as hoped though?
Hasn't that been one of the main problems for him though... coming back too fast and having repeat injuries? Everyone gets injured sometimes, but it hasn't been helped for him this last couple of years by having two or three aborted comebacks.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
There's a surprise. You've entered a wrongly-positioned double-negative into there BTW.
...you're a douchebag. :p

EDIT: Nah look Rich I respect your opinion, heck I voted for you in BOTM, but you don't often leave many avenues open for discussion.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hasn't that been one of the main problems for him though... coming back too fast and having repeat injuries? Everyone gets injured sometimes, but it hasn't been helped for him this last couple of years by having two or three aborted comebacks.
Yep, absolutely. If it's a question of waiting long enough for proper healing, that's good, but that's different to a problem being solved.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The amount of hype Watson receives on this forum is ridiculous. Sure he's a good player, but I can see why so many people dislike him. It seems whenever he turns in a good performance there are 10 people lining up with comments like "I love you Watto", or "**** you Watto hatters" etc. Starting to get pretty tired of it TBH, which is a shame as I don't mind Watson as a cricketer.