• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne - the myth

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Ted Corbett created a top 10 list somewhere around 2000. Remember reading it in Sportstar.
I don't remember the exact top 10 and unable to find it now but recall the below. Amusing to say the least.

He rated Warne the 2nd best cricketer of all time only below Bradman.
Ian Healy found a way into top 10.
Sobers was in top 10 but below Hadlee and Hutton.
To have some sub-continental representation, he had Gavaskar at no. 9.
Above all, David Gower was no. 10. :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its not really a shocker that England and Aussie cricket writers before the mid 90s do not consider any cricket outside of themselves and maybe Windies as much of anything really. For all the corruption and stuff Dalmiya did, he did the greatest thing for cricket ever when he showed who the real boss is off the pitch.

h_hurricane

Found Richie Benaud unbiased (apart from not picking Marshall or any of the other WI quicks in his ATG lineup).

The likes of Corbett, Scyld Berry and Boycott had opinions heavily clouded by bias.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Found Richie Benaud unbiased (apart from not picking Marshall or any of the other WI quicks in his ATG lineup).

The likes of Corbett, Scyld Berry and Boycott had opinions heavily clouded by bias.
To be fair Benaud didn't shortlist Knott or any other English keeper either

a massive zebra

International Captain
I'm not sure you can call someone biased for not picking a West Indian fast bowler in their all time XI. Although I agree with the general consensus that Marshall was the best of fast bowlers, objectively speaking there is not really a huge gap between him (or Ambrose) and several other great fast bowlers Benaud would have seen such as Hadlee, McGrath, Trueman, Lillee, Lindwall, Imran, Wasim, Waqar and others.

Last edited:

h_hurricane

I'm not sure you can call someone biased for not picking a West Indian fast bowler in their all time XI. Although I agree with the general consensus that Marshall was the best of fast bowlers, objectively speaking there is not really a huge gap between him (or Ambrose) and several other great fast bowlers Benaud would have seen such as Hadlee, McGrath, Trueman, Lillee, Lindwall, Imran, Wasim, Waqar and others.
I didn't frame that sentence correctly. Wanted to convey that Richie is unbiased inspite of some debatable picks.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has

Benaud severely disliked the 4 man West Indies pace attacks.

cricketsavant

U19 12th Man
Its not really a shocker that England and Aussie cricket writers before the mid 90s do not consider any cricket outside of themselves and maybe Windies as much of anything really. For all the corruption and stuff Dalmiya did, he did the greatest thing for cricket ever when he showed who the real boss is off the pitch.
Who's the real boss on the pitch?