• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne - the myth

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
John Traicos - 3 "home" tests for SA in 1970, then 22 years later played 3 home tests for Zim and 1 away test.
Great find, though I suspect the record he actually holds is having a 22 year test career and never actually playing away.

Burgey

That's what I thought the post was saying, but reading back it doesn't say that at all lol.

I'm not sure why, but I had an idea he played some club cricket out here in the 80s or 90s too.

Edit: immigrated here post-cricket, as it turns out.

subshakerz

International Coach
I get annoyed with commentators calling Warne the greatest bowler ever or next to Bradman or something like that. So he is definitely overrated especially in the Western press.

Having said that, while I used to rate Murali ahead of Warne, I now lean in favor of Warne. Their overall records are close enough but Murali's entire game was defensive, containing the batsman, drying the runs and waiting for a wicket. He didn't have many answers when the batsman would counterattack. Warne was more naturally aggressive. This is a point that I have heard Lara, Sidhu and others point out.

TheJediBrah

I get annoyed with commentators calling Warne the greatest bowler ever or next to Bradman or something like that. So he is definitely overrated especially in the Western press.
Never heard that claim myself, and I've followed a lot of the "Western press". More that his personality and theatrics pushed him ahead of the rest more than just his ability.

subshakerz

International Coach
Never heard that claim myself, and I've followed a lot of the "Western press". More that his personality and theatrics pushed him ahead of the rest more than just his ability.
I've heard plenty especially former English cricketers calling him that. And he was the only bowler in Wisden's 5 cricketers of the 20th century.

vcs

I guess you could call McGrath also defensive, if that's the case.

I think leg-spin is a harder art to master to the extent that Warne did it (though Murali is literally the only off-spinner I've seen bowl the way he did, so I'm not sure if that's a point in his favour), for me Warne wins comfortably on aesthetics. But I don't think Murali was inherently the more defensive bowler (if he was, you also have to account for the fact that Warne was backed up by much superior bowlers so could afford to be more attacking).

TheJediBrah

Important to note that Wisden is pretty English-focused, and I'd almsot say that Warne was more of a celebrity there than in Aus

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The Wisden Cricketers of the Century was a joke for many reasons. Of the 100 member panel 28 were English and included idiots like Derek Pringle. They were allowed 5 votes each. No one could bring themselves to not vote for Bradman, but many of the 10 who didn't vote for Sobers admitted it was because he was bound to get in anyway and they wanted to include a personal favourite. Hence the likes of Pelham Warner and Lance Gibbs got a vote.

OverratedSanity

He didnt make the top 5 but he did make the list

1.​
Sir Donald Bradman
100​
2.​
Sir Garfield Sobers
90​
3.​
Sir Jack Hobbs
30​
4.​
S. K. Warne
27​
5.​
Sir Vivian Richards
25​
6.​
D. K. Lillee
19​
Sir Frank Worrell
19​
8.​
W. R. Hammond
18​
9.​
D. C. S. Compton
14​
10.​
Sir Richard Hadlee
13​
Imran Khan
13​
12.​
S. M. Gavaskar
12​
13.​
S. F. Barnes
11​
Sir Leonard Hutton
11​
15.​
W. J. O'Reilly
10​
16.​
I. T. Botham
9​
17.​
H. Larwood
6​
R. R. Lindwall
6​
S. R. Tendulkar
6​
20.​
R. Benaud
5​
G. A. Headley
5​
Kapil Dev
5​
23.​
R. G. Pollock
4​
W. Rhodes
4​
V. T. Trumper
4​
26.​
T. G. Evans
3​
M. D. Marshall
3​
Wasim Akram
3​
29.​
Sir Alec Bedser
2​
C. V. Grimmett
2​
F. S. Trueman
2​
F. E. Woolley
2​
33.​
C. E. L. Ambrose
1​
K. C. Bland
1​
A. R. Border
1​
B. J. T. Bosanquet
1​
B. S. Chandrasekhar
1​
I. M. Chappell
1​
Lord Constantine
1​
A. A. Donald
1​
A. P. Freeman
1​
L. R. Gibbs
1​
M. A. Holding
1​
C. H. Lloyd
1​
S. J. McCabe
1​
B. Mitchell
1​
K. S. Ranjitsinhji
1​
M. W. Tate
1​
Sir Pelham Warner
1​

trundler

You could make 5 lists of people who should've been there ahead of Warne.

Was talking about the top 5.