• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne - the myth

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think you are missing the big bambino's point. To focus on 14 of Warne's 145 Tests is to pass an overall judgement on less than 10% of his Test career. It would be like finding fault with Bond on the basis of just 2 of the Tests in which he played.
No overall judgment was passed though(?) Judgment was only passed on Warne vs India.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
14 tests come into consideration only when you are comparing Warne with the best in business. No one is using those in a comparison with Harbhajan Singh.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And looking at performance against team or in conditions that present the toughest challenge to you is par for the course on this forum. Nothing unusual.

stephen

Like I said, the talent of bait is strong in the SC contingent, at least going by this thread. : laugh:
It's not that anyone has actually bitten though. It's more like those fish that take a few disgusted nibbles without bothering to bite the whole thing. I've seen Burgey bait better in his sleep than the piss poor efforts on display here.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not that anyone has actually bitten though. It's more like those fish that take a few disgusted nibbles without bothering to bite the whole thing. I've seen Burgey bait better in his sleep than the piss poor efforts on display here.
ffs Stephen this post you just made is biting

Burgey

Like I said, the talent of bait is strong in the SC contingent, at least going by this thread. : laugh:
We need to speak of the elephant in the room here.

The inherent problem with SC baiting/ trolling/ overall posting is the "sense of humour" which accompanies and underpins it. It's an albatross around the neck of some otherwise decent efforts.

Burgey

And looking at performance against team or in conditions that present the toughest challenge to you is par for the course on this forum. Nothing unusual.
This is indeed true. Always the way on here. Personally don't see a problem with it.

Daemon

I think you are missing the big bambino's point. To focus on 14 of Warne's 145 Tests is to pass an overall judgement on less than 10% of his Test career. It would be like finding fault with Bond on the basis of just 2 of the Tests in which he played.
I'm not passing judgement on his career, I'm passing judgement on that 10% of his career.

vcs

stephen bravely soldiering on against an ATG attack of Indian posters should count highly then..

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Ignore 10% of an Aussie player's matches in the premier format of the game but ridicule a non Aussie player based on his performance in 0.43% of the matches he played in a lesser format of the game.

#Aussielogic
To be fair, the Aussie player was out of form and injured. In all 10% of the matches played across the 15 or so years of the Aussie players career. He was fit and in form for all the matches between that, though.

stephen

While we're on the topic of myths, is Bumrah ever going to play a home test? Even Shane Bond played a few tests at home.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Warne sucked against India and he would have sucked in any circumstances any time. There can't be any escape from this. Stephen has been hiding behind the excuse that Warne was never fit or in best form when playing India in tests. One should not accept such a weak excuse but even if you do, what explains his terrible record against India in limited overs then? He had a dream world cup in 1999 you'd say but even then when he played India, Ajay Jadeja and Robin Singh smashed him around at almost 8 rpo after the top order was cleaned up by McGrath.

Murali was also smashed by India on occasions but several times he came on top winning MoMs in both forms of the game against India. Extrapolating from that it's really not such an unreasonable view that in an ATG contest where he will bowl to batsmen at least as good at playing spin and likely better than Indians of 90s and 00s, Warne will likely come up short; Murali gives you a chance.

Learn to except that as a well reasoned point of view even if you disagree just like Indian fans on this board accept that rating Lara over Tendulkar is a perfectly reasonable position. Failure to do so shows you for a blue eyed fanboy and nothing else.
All good, if we can stack the team playing Warne with Indians from the 90s, we'll just stack the team playing Murali with Australians from the 90s.