• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne dead at 52

Xuhaib

International Coach
Finally got around to watching the highlights of the 99 World Cup final never had the heart to watch it after seeing it live but I thought I will go through again atleast once all great Warney performances in his stellar career

ImpatientLime

International Regular
yeah, my sister asked me today if i'm doing okay. she wouldn't do that for any other celebrity i'm a fan of. and it's not like I talked about Warne often, but she obviously knows I love cricket. Warne was such a big part of our lives(in my case childhood) and most of us didn't even realise it.
the same man. i'm not even australian i'm english/ghanian ffs and i had my mum and sister texting me on saturday talking about the news, asking if i were alright. he transcended boundaries.

might have to go back and read his book again. hope he get an A* netflix level documentary on his life too.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
This is ****ing funny! Apparently Warney was a pretty decent golfer.
Pretty decent is an understatement, he shot one under around St Andrew's in the Alfred Dunhill Pro-Am. That is insanely good. Also made a hole in one at Augusta on the 16th.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I've just posted this on Twitter and pretty much covers my thoughts on Warnie.

It's taken me almost a week to absorb the passing of SK Warne. Like many, I read the tributes over the past few days and acknowledged the effect he had on the cricketing world and further afield, watched a few replays and tried to put it to the back of my mind.

But it wasn't until I listened to the raw, unfiltered Fox Sports tribute to Warnie that aired last Saturday - hastily but brilliantly put together, might I add - via Mark Howard's Howie Games podcast channel that it fully sunk in and almost left me a blubbering mess at the airport before my flight today. That's no mean feat for a broadcast to do that to an emotionally-bereft bloke like me. I did say "almost" though.

Like I mentioned on Twitter shortly after his passing, I was a 90s cricketing cliche. At 13 in 1992, I was an adequate offie for my school's 6th XI. One year later, in no small part thanks to Warnie and Pakistani wristie Mushtaq Ahmed, I was a determined leggie. As chance would have it, this was excellent timing as I'd just started going to noted coach and former player Billy Ibadulla in Dunedin for coaching and from there, I thrived as well as a leggie in Dunedin possibly can. I just wish I had the mental fortitude that Warnie had, as that may have opened a few more doors for me. Instead, my SW23-esque confidence in the nets dissipated to a mixed bag of good returns and failure when I hit the great wide open of a cricket oval.

Naturally, I tried to replicate Warnie's action (although Billy made me change a few things - for the better) and tried to add a few of his tricks as well. Billy started teaching me the flipper once he was happy enough with the accuracy of my stock delivery. I never quite nailed it but certainly didn't stop trying.

I didn't actually see the great man in action too often in the flesh - the first time was at Carisbrook in a NZ cricket centenary tournament match between Aussie and India where Warnie took a lot of tap (0-61) but it was still a privilege to watch him before I actually had to duck away for what would be one of my personal lifetime highlights. The Pakistan under-19 team was in NZ and Billy arranged for me and one other spinner to come along and bowl to young batsman Saleem Elahi. What was more exciting though was that a teenage Saqlain Mushtaq was bowling alongside us, and I even recall Billy talking to him about how to bowl the doosra. For the record, I beat Saleem Elahi's bat once and once only.

That experience, and others such as attending a coaching clinic with his mentor Terry Jenner (even if he told me I was all energy and minimal spin), would not have come about if I hadn't been captivated by the brash Victorian with a diet almost as questionable as mine.

My story is but one of tens of thousands from across the world generated by youngsters taking up leg spin thanks to Warnie. It's no understatement to say he revived the art of leg spin from relative obscurity and added another dimension to an already fascinating sport.

The end of that Fox Sports tribute - a clip voiced over by Warnie over a musical bed of "Fix You" by his great mate Chris Martin and Coldplay - says it all about a man who still had so much left to give: "here's the thing - I've never changed" and "I think I'm lucky - I'm thankful for my life". He sounds like a great mate to his friends, a great dad to his kids, and one hell of an entertainer who - despite being a bit rough around the edges - left cricket so much richer for his time in the game. You deserved every theatric bow you took in front of adoring fans. Vale Warnie.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
The end of that Fox Sports tribute - a clip voiced over by Warnie over a musical bed of "Fix You" by his great mate Chris Martin and Coldplay - says it all about a man who still had so much left to give: "here's the thing - I've never changed" and "I think I'm lucky - I'm thankful for my life".
Watched that last night...Warnies booming, confident voice on that digital audio, talking about WSC, Kerry Packer and his memories as a kid playing cricket with his brother...sent chills down my spine.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
I'm honestly thinking of getting a Shane Warne tattoo. Anyone have any ideas of a picture that would be best?

On my right shoulder.