• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second greatest Australian

McGrath or Warne

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
McGrath has 110 plus games, or 13 years of consistent worldclass performance from 95 to 2007.

That is so far out of the norm of longevity for any fast bowler, like Tendulkars 157 tests of peak.

That is why I rate him so highly. Plus he wasn't smashed anywhere like Warne.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Look, it's probably me.

I don't like to boast, but the question has been posed. Only Whitlam can be said to be categorically ahead in terms of achievement and the reverence in which he's held.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bowled more, fielded better, batted better.
Yeah.. and while I dont buy this stupid narrative that he revitalized legspin around the world or anything, he was definitely box office and that definitely helps the prominence of the sport at least in Australia.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
So basically the last two responses basically came down to personality.

Don't see why that's a thing tbh.
Warne was just box office, a very rare superstar of our game. People tuned in or turned up just to watch him.

McGrath was brilliant, toss a coin for him and Marshall as GOAT imo but he was boring as bat****. To me he was far more important than Warne to that Aussie side wining games of cricket, but in terms of impact on the game.....nobody comes even remotely close to Warne.

thierry henry

International Coach
Genuine question, knowing that this sort of thing gets done on CW - has anyone done a statistical analysis to try to explore the argument that spinners are worth their place in the side over seamers who are better performers at statistical face value?

Warne is a very good example of the general principle as I think it's pretty well accepted that he's an elite ATG bowler even though his average isn't. I also understand it to be pretty well accepted that spinners will generally have worse averages than pace bowlers. I take the main arguments justifying this to include:

- The performance of seamers is improved by adding variety to the attack with spinners
- Spinners can bowl longer spells, allowing seamers to bowl shorter and more effective ones
- Spinners are more effective than seamers in certain conditions and it is worthwhile having them in the team in case those conditions arise

The above explains in general terms why spinners make the team, but how do you compare them with seamers head to head? Cos on face value, I'm always going to say McGrath>Warne, but that's in lieu of a solid way to compare spinner output with seamer output.

Spark

Global Moderator
Without making a judgement on the comparison here, I'll just say that a lot of CW analysis and purely stat-based judgements (but I repeat myself) systematically and quite massively understates the importance of even decent, let alone great, spinners to the stability of a bowling attack.

Edit: Also will echo everything in the post right above mine.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Genuine question, knowing that this sort of thing gets done on CW - has anyone done a statistical analysis to try to explore the argument that spinners are worth their place in the side over seamers who are better performers at statistical face value?

Warne is a very good example of the general principle as I think it's pretty well accepted that he's an elite ATG bowler even though his average isn't. I also understand it to be pretty well accepted that spinners will generally have worse averages than pace bowlers. I take the main arguments justifying this to include:

- The performance of seamers is improved by adding variety to the attack with spinners
- Spinners can bowl longer spells, allowing seamers to bowl shorter and more effective ones
- Spinners are more effective than seamers in certain conditions and it is worthwhile having them in the team in case those conditions arise

The above explains in general terms why spinners make the team, but how do you compare them with seamers head to head? Cos on face value, I'm always going to say McGrath>Warne, but that's in lieu of a solid way to compare spinner output with seamer output.
And that's part of the premise of the thread.

thierry henry

International Coach
I actually wrote out and then deleted quite a bit just now, tying myself in knots trying to explain why I think spinners having worse averages ultimately does mean that spinners are just a bit worse than seamers. Suffice to say that remains my default position.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I actually wrote out and then deleted quite a bit just now, tying myself in knots trying to explain why I think spinners having worse averages ultimately does mean that spinners are just a bit worse than seamers. Suffice to say that remains my default position.
They can bowl longer spells, they are effective with the older ball, but with reverse swing, so are seamers.

On a torn up last day pitch they can be a handful, but I've seen Ambrose do the same.

They do have a place in most teams and a great one is as asset, but they are more limited than seamers and a bit easier to see off.

I still believe McGrath was move pivotal to the Aussie team though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, I have run the numbers. Spinners are often better value to a side compared to a fast bowler because they can get through their overs quickly and we know based on empirical and anecdotal evidence that if over rates ever drop below what is acceptable, everyone stops enjoying the match immediately.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yes, I have run the numbers. Spinners are often better value to a side compared to a fast bowler because they can get through their overs quickly and we know based on empirical and anecdotal evidence that if over rates ever drop below what is acceptable, everyone stops enjoying the match immediately.
This is important, but I’m conflicted because I’m pretty sure that once cricket becomes enjoyable it is by definition Bad Cricket