• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sangakkara V Smith

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Who was the better batsman?

Against the top 6 teams overall record..

Sangakkara

Smith

Smith overall has done well, thanks to his massive numbers at home. Smith averages 61.76 compared to Sanga's 59.89. There's not a huge difference here tbh. Anyways we can give Smith the nod here.

Away and Neutral vs the Top 6 teams

Sangakkara

Smith

Come the scenario away from home, this where Sanga's true credibility lies as an ATG batsman. Avereging 58 odd away from home, where as Smith is averaging only 52 against the top 6 away from home. That's almost 6 runs difference against a top test team away from home.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Let Smith have a career first.

Who knows who we'll be comparing him with when he is done & if he continues the way he has in the last 5-6 years.

Also, If you are going to exclude Sanga's keeping, then it's only fair you exclude Smith's innings when he was selected as a bowler, if you haven't already.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Ridiculous comparison at this stage of Smiths career. How can you possibly compare a player with 134 tests and one mid way through his career.

sunilz

International Regular
If u torture data enough , u can get any confession u want. Why did u remove his record as a wicket-keeper ? Why did u remove his record against WI considering SL has never won a test series in WI.

Sangakkara averages less than Kohli and has less century overseas if u remove the runs scored in Pakistan/UAE flatbed . I am removing UAE/ Pakistan because Kohli has not played there. I am pretty sure Kohli would score tons of runs in UAE if he gets a chance

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

And Smith is far better test batsman than Kohli. If Smith doesn't undergo massive dip in form he is all set to become best batsman of post world- war.2.

Let's also remove first 5 years of Tendulkar or Devilliers as ODI batsman and declare them to be better batsman than Viv Richards.

I rate Smith massively as test batsman . I don't rate Sangakkara because SL have never won a test in India. There may be a biased view here.

vcs

It is very difficult to fairly compare Sangakkara to Smith just because of the fact that not being part of the "Big 3" gives him fewer Tests against top opposition (especially away), shorter series, etc.

cnerd123

likes this
While Smith probably doesn't get out to Kinchit Shah at a crucial moment of a runchase in the finals of the HK T20 Blitz, he is Australian, so Sanga gets my vote.

morgieb

Not a great comparison given that Smith still has years left in his career.

You'd probably say Sanga for now but I think Smith will finish his career as the better player.

Spark

Global Moderator
It is very difficult to fairly compare Sangakkara to Smith just because of the fact that not being part of the "Big 3" gives him fewer Tests against top opposition (especially away), shorter series, etc.
Eh, when you play 134 Tests with a healthy proportion against historically strong teams I don't think this matters one way or another.

vcs

Eh, when you play 134 Tests with a healthy proportion against historically strong teams I don't think this matters one way or another.
He has only 5 Tests away in Australia, 6 in India. That's really low. Smith probably has about 10 in England and 7-8 in India already with a couple more tours to come.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I rate Smith massively as test batsman . I don't rate Sangakkara because SL have never won a test in India. There may be a biased view here.
At least you can admit this, most people can't.

Yeah no comparison right now, wait until Smith's career is further along.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
If u torture data enough , u can get any confession u want. Why did u remove his record as a wicket-keeper ? Why did u remove his record against WI considering SL has never won a test series in WI.

Sangakkara averages less than Kohli and has less century overseas if u remove the runs scored in Pakistan/UAE flatbed . I am removing UAE/ Pakistan because Kohli has not played there. I am pretty sure Kohli would score tons of runs in UAE if he gets a chance

And Smith is far better test batsman than Kohli. If Smith doesn't undergo massive dip in form he is all set to become best batsman of post world- war.2.

Let's also remove first 5 years of Tendulkar or Devilliers as ODI batsman and declare them to be better batsman than Viv Richards.

Removing 5yrs of Sachin when comparing him with Viv actually makes sense.

Gob

International Coach
Its weird that even after making almost hundred runs for the match it feels like a failure from Smith

RK_123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Smith will surpass Sangakkara easily in tests IMO. He averages 64 as of now and unlike Sangakkara, he hasn't got enough chances of minnow bashing because he doesn't play for SL.