• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sanath Jayasuriya - Great Player but....

sideshowtim

Banned
Yeah, he's pretty bad.

Felt a bit sorry for Nick Knight. Was trying to get a whole chemistry thing going, but Sanath wasn't giving him much to work with.

simmy

International Regular
Knight is annoying too tbh.

Takes him way too long to get a sentence out.

David Lloyd ftw!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Meh. Think you're being harsh. Just been listening to him with Beefy (which is always a foot up I guess, as he'll struggle to be the worst informed in the comm box in that scenario) and he was ok. Nothing flash, but not Healy-bad anyway.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The worst commentators are Graham Gooch and Jack Bannister simply because neither of them can utter a single sentence without puncuating it with "and uh".

Majin

International Debutant
Think he'll be a decent commentator once he's done it for a while and is more eloquent while speaking in English. Must be a bloody hard job to do, jumping into a Comm box and talking about cricket in a language that isn't your natural one. Not that I think he has bad English or anything, I just think he'll get better as he gets better articulating his thoughts.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I think his insight is pretty good actually - it is just the fact he isn't really blessed with the most exciting voice.

Bouncer

State Regular
It always takes time for non English Speaking Ex cricketer to get used to mike. I remember Sunil Gavaskar used to be pretty crappy in sharjah in start of career as an expert during couple of tournaments in 1989-1991.

So give sanath time, he will come out good

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It always takes time for non English Speaking Ex cricketer to get used to mike. I remember Sunil Gavaskar used to be pretty crappy in sharjah in start of career as an expert during couple of tournaments in 1989-1991.

So give sanath time, he will come out good
Gavaskar is still a 'crappy' commentator :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think his insight is pretty good actually - it is just the fact he isn't really blessed with the most exciting voice.
Thats possible. We have seen the same with Kapil who is very sharp and insightful but his English still jars. I am willing to live with it though if his comments are incisive.

archie mac

International Coach
Think he'll be a decent commentator once he's done it for a while and is more eloquent while speaking in English. Must be a bloody hard job to do, jumping into a Comm box and talking about cricket in a language that isn't your natural one. Not that I think he has bad English or anything, I just think he'll get better as he gets better articulating his thoughts.
Awta (hope I got that right?)

I thought him very nervous, but he improved as the match went on:)

simmy

International Regular
In his defense, its good to hear from a commentator who literally retired the game before.

He is also getting better, marginally...

bond21

Banned
Yea, Healy must be too exciting for you, i guess youd rather listen to david lloyd with his ridiculously thick english accent.

simmy

International Regular
Yea, Healy must be too exciting for you, i guess youd rather listen to david lloyd with his ridiculously thick english accent.
Hahaha. I think you underestimate my hate for Northern accents haha...

Lloyd is funny.