• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saeed Anwar's 194

Dissector

International Debutant
Meaningless record in a game with two crap teams, really. It's always a shame when prestigious records fall in games against minnows like when Sri Lanka beat the ODI innings record against Netherlands.

Dissector

International Debutant
I should add that this is yet another bullet dodged in terms of a player falling short of an ODI double hundred. I have been surprised no one has managed that till now. The trend towards attacking openers began in the early-mid 90's and the powerplay rules have further made high scoring easy. If you add in the generally friendlier pitches in the last decade and the much larger number of games with minnows it's a real suprise no one has managed a double century. I remember watching the Anwar innings on TV and he was visibly upset when he got out obviously about missing the double hundred.

Anyway I just hope that the first double hundred is achieved in a proper game and by an ODI player of the stature of Anwar or Viv.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meaningless record in a game with two crap teams, really. It's always a shame when prestigious records fall in games against minnows like when Sri Lanka beat the ODI innings record against Netherlands.
Yeah, was amused to find-out a few days after the match that Sri Lanka had broken the South Africa \ Australia record of THAT game in July 2006 - only found-out because of an interesting-looking article that I was drawn to read on the subject of substandard sides in general, not one specifically related to that series.

DingDong

State Captain
Mate, there's no need to put down Coventry's achievement just because ur precious Saeed Anwer's record got broken. It's not like other player's haven't had the same opportunity against Bangladesh either. Anyway, this Bangladesh attack is arguably better than the Indian attack Anwer faced with the help of a runner. For the record, that Indian attack consisted of Prasad, Kuruvilla, Joshi, Robin Singh (lol...some attack that) and the only decent bowler was Kumble.

Pull your head in mate.

brackenNY

School Boy/Girl Captain
Mate, there's no need to put down Coventry's achievement just because ur precious Saeed Anwer's record got broken. It's not like other player's haven't had the same opportunity against Bangladesh either. Anyway, this Bangladesh attack is arguably better than the Indian attack Anwer faced with the help of a runner. For the record, that Indian attack consisted of Prasad, Kuruvilla, Joshi, Robin Singh (lol...some attack that) and the only decent bowler was Kumble.

Pull your head in mate.
He's Indian, why would Saeed Anwar's record be precious to him?

Xuhaib

International Coach

Pull your head in mate.
Kumble is one of the best bowlers of all time while Prasad was quite decent as well in those days, not taking anything away from Coventry but its a shame that one of the most prestigous record in international cricket is held by a virtual no namer however its still better then a world class player pulling it off by bullying a minnow.

Dissector

International Debutant
Pull your head in mate.
Both Prasad and Joshi were decent ODI bowlers and Kumble was in those days one of the great ODI bowlers. The BD attack that Coventry faced wasn't remotely as good. And that was a big game which IIRC India needed to win to stay in the tournament. Who gives two hoots for a BD-Zim ODI series?

tooextracool

International Coach
Both Prasad and Joshi were decent ODI bowlers and Kumble was in those days one of the great ODI bowlers. The BD attack that Coventry faced wasn't remotely as good. And that was a big game which IIRC India needed to win to stay in the tournament. Who gives two hoots for a BD-Zim ODI series?
Think the biggest thing to take note of here is that this game was played in Zimbabwe, and Bangladesh's bowling attack outside of the subcontinent is for all means and purposes completely hopeless.

India's was the same back in those days, however pitches outside of the subcontinent then weren't quite as flat as they are today so teams didn't really manage to pile on mammoth totals against them. Either way Saeed's innings was far more valuable.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mate, there's no need to put down Coventry's achievement just because ur precious Saeed Anwer's record got broken.
There is need to put it into context that this Zimbabwe-Bangladesh match is a ODI which doesn't merit the status, whereas the India-Pakistan game was one that did. Neither Zimbabwe nor Bangladesh are good enough to be playing ODIs.
It's not like other player's haven't had the same opportunity against Bangladesh either.
Just because others have played Bangladesh doesn't mean they'll score so many runs in one innings. It takes both playing Bangladesh and being in the right place at the right time. Coventry (and virtually any other batsman) would never have a hope in hell of scoring so many against a half-decent attack from a ODI-standard team.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Meh, I'm in the 'give any international game ODI status' camp. So long as the rules are the same (i.e. 50-overs, confusion of powerplays etc) there only seems elitism in the way of giving them full status. China v Japan is as much an ODI for me as Australia v South Africa. If people want to be precious about records, just filter them so that only the eight Test-standard teams are there. It's not going to massively distort the stats of the leading players because they tend only to play among themselves. But an obsession with stats in this form of the game is just unhealthy and detrimental to the spread of the game. The case is even more pressing now that the WCL is in place and every game is essentially a World Cup qualifier.

Obviously I'm not in favour of any extension of Test status in the near future, nor of FC or even List A status. But unlike the other three statuses, 'One-Day International' seems applicable to me to any such game between two countries.

So Coventry equalled Anwar's record, so what? Pretty much everyone can see that Anwar's was the better innings, but then most would also argue that Laxman's 281 is the best ever knock by an Indian in Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh, I'm in the 'give any international game ODI status' camp. So long as the rules are the same (i.e. 50-overs, confusion of powerplays etc) there only seems elitism in the way of giving them full status. China v Japan is as much an ODI for me as Australia v South Africa. If people want to be precious about records, just filter them so that only the eight Test-standard teams are there.
Yeah, I tend to take the view that it's difficult to justify any cut-off if the cut-off is not going to be the obvious one (ie, the top eight). If anything I think the best solution might be "senior" and "junior" games (so that any game not involving two top-eight teams was a junior game). Elitism is vital in cricket though - the whole principle of cricket has been founded on the elitist notion that you have to produce a certain quality before you're welcomed fully into the family. I don't want that to change, under any circumstance. So what if other sports do it differently?

stumpski

International Captain
Meh, I'm in the 'give any international game ODI status' camp. So long as the rules are the same (i.e. 50-overs, confusion of powerplays etc) there only seems elitism in the way of giving them full status. China v Japan is as much an ODI for me as Australia v South Africa. If people want to be precious about records, just filter them so that only the eight Test-standard teams are there. It's not going to massively distort the stats of the leading players because they tend only to play among themselves. But an obsession with stats in this form of the game is just unhealthy and detrimental to the spread of the game. The case is even more pressing now that the WCL is in place and every game is essentially a World Cup qualifier.

Obviously I'm not in favour of any extension of Test status in the near future, nor of FC or even List A status. But unlike the other three statuses, 'One-Day International' seems applicable to me to any such game between two countries.
Yeah I'd go along with that; I can't see that ODI status is such a precious commodity that it must be preserved for the eight 'major' Test teams. And most of the stats people who wring their hands and tear their hair out when records are 'distorted' aren't that bothered about one-day cricket anyway, as a rule, they're more concerned with preserving the prestige of Test cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Must say though that those who hanker for ODI status for all tend to be those who've always viewed it as an unwanted set of kittens. Either Twenty20-lovers or traditionalists who only have much interest in the four\five-day game.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Obviously the new record effort doesn't compare when stacked up against Anwar's effort. I do have a qualm with Anwar's effort though. His use of runners will always lessen the inning where I am concerned. I am some one who is very anti-runner and though it was a superb inning, I don't consider Anwar's inning to be one of the best ODI knocks of all time.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well it is allowed, so I dont have any problem with Saeed using the runner and I thought he played brilliantly on that day. Is it One of the best ODI knocks, well I don't know, it really depends who is compiling the list.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I watched the match live and as easy as the pitch was and as easy as it must have made it for him to have Afridi doing all the running, it was still a fantastic knock.. Kumble on any wicket with good bounce is a tough proposition and he played him extremely well. I consider it a privilege to have been able to watch that innings... :)