• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sack Langer

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
yeah hate how maxwell has been treated

he scored a 270 odd in a local sydney game that i almost attended when he was trying to get back in the test side
Given the kind of players who have got a longish gig in the middle order, it amazes me why Maxwell isn't being talked up as an option for #6

Has the ability to change a game in a session and would give you more steady overs than either Cam Green or Mitch Marsh can at this point.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still think Green is worthy of his place in the side. Harris and Wade aren't good enough and should make way for Khawaja and Pucovski.

There's a huge lack of domestic batting talent at the moment so we need to use the resources at our disposal. It's a huge shame that Maxwell hasn't been given a decent run in the test side, even if I don't think he'll be great. He only needs to be better than Head and Wade right now, which isn't a high bar to cross.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
What if..........

Warner
Khawaja
Labu
Smith
Green
Maxwell
Carey
Cummins
Pattinson
Swepson
Hazlewood
Carey literally gets opened up whenever he is defending a length ball, so he will have tough time against the red ball. Much rather punt with Phillipe at his age, he has good range of shots which can help keep the game moving if he is batting with the tail.

Khawaja isn't going to be picked with this management still around and #5 for Green is too high if he is also bowling and neither is Australian batting strong enough to accommodate both him and Maxwell in the same XI.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
It's been observed that Labuschagne is the only notable Test player to come through in the Langer era but it was a similar problem in the Lehmann era which lasted over 5 years. Of the regulars in this lineup only Hazlewood debuted in that era.

Otherwise all the regulars debuted in the Mickey Arthur & Tim Nielsen (remember him?) eras. Even likes of Khawaja and Pattinson debuted back then.

There's been a significant stagnation of quality Test players for several years now and the quality players that appeared in the early 10s can only cover that for so long.

Smudge49

U19 12th Man
It's been observed that Labuschagne is the only notable Test player to come through in the Langer era but it was a similar problem in the Lehmann era which lasted over 5 years. Of the regulars in this lineup only Hazlewood debuted in that era.

Otherwise all the regulars debuted in the Mickey Arthur & Tim Nielsen (remember him?) eras. Even likes of Khawaja and Pattinson debuted back then.

There's been a significant stagnation of quality Test players for several years now and the quality players that appeared in the early 10s can only cover that for so long.
Obviously the players Lehmann nurtured were already in the Australian system, but they were on the fringes either discarded or being badly used when he took over.

Guys like Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Chris Rogers were brought in with specific roles and they delivered brilliantly.

Smith's resurgence as a world beater happened during this period. Players like Maxwell, Faulkner, Hazelwood, Zampa were discovered and developed during his period.

Every player brought into the Australian system during Lehmann's coaching tenure made some significant contributions and most of them still form core of the side.

Simply put, whatever little success Langer has tasted thus far, is because of the investments Lehmann made.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Obviously the players Lehmann nurtured were already in the Australian system, but they were on the fringes either discarded or being badly used when he took over.

Guys like Ryan Harris, Mitchell Johnson, Chris Rogers were brought in with specific roles and they delivered brilliantly.

Smith's resurgence as a world beater happened during this period. Players like Maxwell, Faulkner, Hazelwood, Zampa were discovered and developed during his period.

Every player brought into the Australian system during Lehmann's coaching tenure made some significant contributions and most of them still form core of the side.

Simply put, whatever little success Langer has tasted thus far, is because of the investments Lehmann made.
Didn't Smith stage his comeback under Mickey Arthur?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Smith was returned to the squad under Arthur, despite not scoring a FC ton for a year (FORM!), and made his 92 after homework gate. But he missed the Ashes squad, I guess a bit similar to Patterson, although Smith scored runs in an Aus A thing prior to the Ashes, and then when Lehmann took over Smith and someone else, maybe Agar, were moved to the squad

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Smith was returned to the squad under Arthur, despite not scoring a FC ton for a year (FORM!), and made his 92 after homework gate. But he missed the Ashes squad, I guess a bit similar to Patterson, although Smith scored runs in an Aus A thing prior to the Ashes, and then when Lehmann took over Smith and someone else, maybe Agar, were moved to the squad
I think I confused the 92 to be a 100

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lehman was a very underrated coach I think. And that's not me using nostalgia goggles. I really think he brought a sense of both calm and ruthlessness that neither Arthur nor Langer are able to bring. Despite his personal failings, I think he is a very good coach. I felt that as far back as his days as Queensland coach tbh. Remember that Australian cricket was at its lowest ebb when he took over and he managed to get some strong performances out of the team in an Ashes that they should have been smashed 5-0. It's a shame that sandpapergate tarnished his legacy so badly.

Shri

Mr. Glass
if ponting doesn't want it yet, I think Gillespie has been a coach for a while and so has moody

moody led SL to the final of the 07 odi wc

DriveClub

International Regular
Australia is going for former players as coaches but I don't think that's a good idea. You have to mix it up

Burgey

yeah hate how maxwell has been treated

he scored a 270 odd in a local sydney game that i almost attended when he was trying to get back in the test side
Fair effort given he plays in Melbourne.

Burgey

if ponting doesn't want it yet,
i don't see why Ponting would take it on tbh, when he can sit in the press box on more $$$ and do an occasional side gig to satisfy his desire to still be involved in the game. Sort of like Peter Sterling in the NRL. I've hoped like hell he'd coach Parra for about 30 years but he's on near enough to seven figures doing media work without the attendant stress of coaching. Can't blame these blokes.

Burgey