• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin Tendulkar vs Jacques Kallis

Who was the better test cricketer?

• Total voters

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Kallis has a workload on average of 10 overs an innings. More than that and you can assume it will affect his batting performance since it's not his classic role. As Kallis evolved into a worldclass bat as his career progressed, his bowling load decreased.

I will admit there are team formations in which Kallis would be more valuable than Tendulkar. I am just assuming that we have a reasonably good team with four main competent bowlers and Kallis is supporting them. I don't see that role as dramatically impacting games.

Sobers would be different since he was a proper fourth bowler.
He bowled a fair bit in the early 2000s when his batting was peaking. I'm not sure anyone could manage a full workload without performaces suffering while playing as much cricket as him. His value arguably lies more in the option of having him bowl than the bowling he actually did though- balancing the 2000s on sides without him would have been a disaster.

Its pretty rare for a country to even have 4 quality bowlers of suitable variety. Asian sides have almost always been missing 1+ quick (and occcasionaly a spinner), and most non-Asian teams will be missing a spinner and/or a quick. Even if you have 4, they dont all play every game.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Then by the same token Pollock is a better cricketer than Marshall. And taking this to its logical extreme, Holder is 7/5/7 on bowling, batting and fielding on a scale of 10 and thus better than McGrath who's a 10/1/6.
I trust you rate Pollock > Kapil seeing you rate McGrath > Pollock. Because I do.

Molehill

International Captain
Tendulkars better batting means scoring faster and also scoring in places like SL and England that Kallis won't. I will gladly trade that in for some bowling support.
One other factor not taken into account is those players they had around them. Tendulkar was sandwiched between Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman with Sehwag often having already created carnage at the top. Kallis played in a decent batting line up, but not one to compare with that. There was often more pressure on his batting.

And this is another reason I put Lara ahead, he had a bunch of muppets playing with him who utterly relied on his runs to keep them competitive.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Changed my vote once I re-read it was better cricketer and not just bat. Slam dunk.

Molehill

International Captain
out of all the things to knock Tendulkar for, he chooses batting support. the dude who had fixers and clowns as team members for most part of the 90s. the mole clearly has an agenda or bias at this point
I presume you've done Tendulkar v Lara. At a guess, all Indian fans voted Tendulkar and all neutrals Lara. But you know, agenda and bias.....

subshakerz

International Coach
One other factor not taken into account is those players they had around them. Tendulkar was sandwiched between Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman with Sehwag often having already created carnage at the top. Kallis played in a decent batting line up, but not one to compare with that. There was often more pressure on his batting.

And this is another reason I put Lara ahead, he had a bunch of muppets playing with him who utterly relied on his runs to keep them competitive.
Lara had muppets. Sachin in the 90s had muppets too outside India. Kallis never did.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sachin in the 90s had muppets too outside India.
Bit overstated tbh. It was a pretty small period from 92-96 until Dravid/Ganguly's debut and India didn't actually go an many overseas tours during that time. The amazing thing was that he debuted that young and pretty much immediately became India's most dependable overseas batsman.

subshakerz

International Coach
Bit overstated tbh. It was a pretty small period from 92-96 until Dravid/Ganguly's debut and India didn't actually go an many overseas tours during that time. The amazing thing was that he debuted that young and pretty much immediately became India's most dependable overseas batsman.
That is true, Dravid did well on the England and SA tours in the nineties. This impression came more from the Aus 99 tour.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Dravid and Ganguly still struggled in places, as did Laxman. Sehwag’s noted.
But yea overall from 96 onwards he had a better lineup than Lara for sure, and most certainly from the Sehwag/Laxman lower order period.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Actually pretty interesting example tbh. I'm pretty sure most people(except flem) wouldn't actually rate Pollock as better than Marshall/McGrath.
Marshall wasn't a batting bunny. He was closer to a Warne/Lee rather than an actual bowling all-rounder, but he was nowhere near McGrath, which complicates this comparison a bit. I think it's very plausible to pick Marshall over McGrath, even if you think as I do, that McGrath was the better bowler.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Dravid and Ganguly had great debut series but they were exactly that dependable until a few years later. Dravid played one great knock in SA in 96-97 but little else from either. Both went missing afair in Australia in 99. Azhar actually had a 1-2 good years after he gave up captaincy.