• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sachin is to Kohli what Maradona is to Messi?

Is Sachin to Kohli what Maradona is to Messi?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilz

International Regular
What is more sick is England and Australia killing thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, so that they could keep earnings billions from Uncle Sam under so called special relationship. You guys must be extremely proud of what your armies have done in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan .So how is your preparation of Iran war. Of course you guys will say we condemn it just like Saudi Arabia condemns terrorism.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm not responding to Gavaskar's specific situation in my comments in this thread, since I know nothing about the context, or the incident, or what he said, or anything actually.

Just a general take on racism in India (and apparently Pakistan as well from what little I've observed). My general take on the subject would be that ignorance and "cultural differences", are very rarely an excuse, or a very poor one.
Agreed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
What is more sick is England and Australia killing thousands in Iraq and Afghanistan, so that they could keep earnings billions from Uncle Sam under so called special relationship. You guys must be extremely proud of what your armies have done in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan .So how is your preparation of Iran war. Of course you guys will say we condemn it just like Saudi Arabia condemns terrorism.
:laugh:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The irony is that Indians were also extensively enslaved in the Caribbean to replace the previously enslaved Africans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Caribbeans

Much like cotton, sugarcane plantations motivated large-scale near-enslavement and forced migrations in the 19th and early 20th century.[3]

Following the emancipation of slaves in 1833 in the United Kingdom, many liberated Africans left their former masters. This created an economic chaos for British owners of sugar-cane plantations in the Caribbean region, and elsewhere. The hard work in hot, humid farms required a regular, docile and low-waged labour force. The British looked for cheap labour. Since slavery had been abolished, the British crafted a new legal system of forced labour, which in many ways resembled enslavement.[4] Instead of calling them slaves, they were called indentured labourers. Under this indentured labour scheme, Indians (primarily) began to replace enslaved Africans on sugarcane plantations across the British empire.

The first ships carrying indentured labourers for sugarcane plantations left India in 1838 for the Caribbean region. In fact, the first two shiploads of Indians arrived in British Guiana (now Guyana) on May 5, 1838, on board the Whitby and Hesperus. These ships had sailed from Calcutta. In the early decades of the sugarcane-driven migrations, indentured Indians were treated as inhumanely as the enslaved Africans had been. They were confined to their estates and paid a pitiful salary. Any breach of contract brought automatic criminal penalties and imprisonment. Many of these were brought away from their homelands deceptively. Many from inland regions over a thousand kilometers from seaports were promised jobs, were not told the work they were being hired for, or that they would leave their homeland and communities. They were hustled aboard the waiting ships, unprepared for the long and arduous four-month sea journey. Charles Anderson, a special magistrate investigating these sugarcane plantations, wrote to the British Colonial Secretary declaring that with few exceptions, the indentured labourers are treated with great and unjust severity; plantation owners enforced work in sugarcane farms so harshly, that the decaying remains of immigrants were frequently discovered in sugarcane fields. If labourers protested and refused to work, they were not paid or fed: they simply starved.[3]

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think you have fully grasped the subject matter tbf.

sunilz

International Regular
I don't think you have fully grasped the subject matter tbf.
Actually it is quite opposite. Monkey is not considered racial slang in India. Many teachers call their students monkey in India. It is a harmless slang in India. So please stop imposing your culture on India

trundler

Fairness cream ads are absolutely vile. They do fill on black face straight out of a cartoon from the 30s.

sunilz

International Regular
Players like Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Devendra Bishoo, Ravi Rampaul can trace their ancestry to people of Bihar who were sent to Caribbean islands as slave labour for Sugar cane plantation.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Actually it is quite opposite. Monkey is not considered racial slang in India. Many teachers call their students monkey in India. It is a harmless slang in India. So please stop imposing your culture on India
See, this is what I meant about ingrained racism. It is being taught in schools! It is not about imposing anything. It is about respecting human dignity.

sunilz

International Regular
See, this is what I meant about ingrained racism. It is being taught in schools! It is not about imposing anything. It is about respecting human dignity.
A country that celebrates Winston Churchill as war hero is now talking about education system. Winston Churchill indirectly killed 2-3 million in Bengal famine. This is no different to Taliban supporters celebrating Osama bin Laden

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
A country that celebrates Winston Churchill as war hero is now talking about education system. Winston Churchill indirectly killed 2-3 million in Bengal famine. This is no different to Taliban supporters celebrating Osama bin Laden
I think you need to refresh yourself with the relevant material.

trundler

Right, now we're down to plain nationalistic dick waving again. Mods should move all irrelevant posts out of this thread as SachinFan did not deserve to have his perfectly decent thread ruined.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Right, now we're down to plain nationalistic dick waving again. Mods should move all irrelevant posts out of this thread as SachinFan did not deserve to have his perfectly decent thread ruined.
I reported the thread derailment to mods, but of course they may be not on-line....wait Harsh has posted heaps in the off-topic half of the thread:-O

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Harsh is contributing constructively to an important debate. Stop trying to force your own agenda on the thread and let it develop organically.

trundler

The legit discussion was fine by me before it all broke down into your country badderer, which tbh I should've foreseen as an inevitability.

Burgey

Are you cevno, are you cevno, are you cevno in disguise?

I recall the Iraq war well, and marching in protest to it across the Harbour Bridge. Afghanistan slightly different imho, because ANZUS was invoked as a result of a direct attack on the US. And sorry, but hand the **** over and no one gets bombed.

Anyway, I want to apologise for taking his thread in the direction it went yesterday. Despite ****-knuckle’s comments as to what is or isn’t acceptable racism (and hey, he’ll decide that as well as when you can or can’t divert a thread) and what is or isn’t an attempt troll people (which it isn’t - his own attitude basically confirms there’s plenty still to be done in this space), it’s turned into a **** storm and that’s on me.

So I’m done on this aspect of it, and apologise to anyone offended by where it went. Particularly to the new fella, whose thread was derailed.

I don’t apologise to *****, because his view on this topic is, frankly, perverse and reinforces I was right to raise the issue in the first place. Likewise harsh, whose idea that if you’re just a bit racist and only among your mates then it’s all ok is very disturbing tstl. Nor do I apologise to sunilz, whose default position seems to be that if an Indian cricketer relieves himself in a glass on a bridal table, the assembled wedding guests should all raise a glass to him in gratitude at his magnificent performance. When in fact it’s just a stream of piss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.