• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Wc 2011

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Snippie said:
Which is exactly why I used Apparently. I read it on a worldcup forum, but that person didn't state any sources so I couldn't be sure it wasn't just heresay. I'm glad that you have proven me wrong, I had wondered how an extra 20 000 people could hamper NZ that badly as it is a tourist destination.

Has it been made official that the Aussies will be voting Japan? I haven't heard it, actually I would have thought they'd vote for you guys, I know that the greater districts, Oceania, Europe, Asia etc all have one vote as well, do you atleast think that Oceania will vote for NZ?

I still want it to come to SA, but my second choice would be NZ, as I do think that you are most deservant, we only want it as we won't have to travel too far then! :p
The ARU president has indicated they will be supporting Japan's bid.

As for Oceania, who knows?

shaka,

Why is Martin Johnson have to gain by supporting Japan?
Two words:

"Bling"

and

"Bling".

KennyD

International Vice-Captain
Voltman said:
As for the Aussies voting for Japan - no great surprise. It's what we've come to expect from our neighbours - despite its national body being hauled out of bankruptcy by the NZRFU in the 1970s. We won't be coming to help again, that's for sure.
We dont need you. Our alleigances are with Japan, and their superior yen will serve us better.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think if Union is to have any pretence as a genuine global game Japan is really the only choice. It may not turn them into world beaters overnight, but the WC has to raise the profile of the sport over there. The same thing happened @ the 2002 Association WC; Japan weren't world-beaters, but the game got a boost, Japan performed half-fairly (2nd round IIRC) & have again qualified for 2006 in Germany.

NZ is the spirtual home of the sport, but the time zone & relatively small size of the country won't help its cause. SA should have the infrastructure in place after 2010 & it's time zone in v Europe friendly so I guess it's probably the racing favourite, especially as I hear they're wheeling Mandela out for the occasion too.

So: heart says Japan, head says SA.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd love to see it here.

Although obviously biased, I think we deserve to have it, as South Africa had it in 1995, just two World Cups ago (although we had it in 1987 admittedly), and (probably NZ-biased) articles have suggested that less than half of Japan's population would be even slightly aware of the tournament if it were held there. But that's obviously still more than our four million, although the majority would be hugely interested.

Eden Park is one of the more famous and historically significant rugby stadia in the world (again a biased comment probably), I'd really love to see the final held there.

The infrastructure argument is a fair one, although I really don't think it's as bad as people make out, and I'm sure we'd be able to make the tournament run smoothly.

Either Japan or SA would be worthy hosts but I really do hope they give it to NZ.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
shaka said:
What does Martin Johnson have to gain by supporting Japan? Does he not want a tri nations team getting it or something?
Maybe he thinks it would do more for the game over the world?

Chubb

International Regular
Got it!

New Zealand will host the 2011 Rugby World Cup after beating Japan and South Africa in an International Rugby Board secret ballot in Dublin.
South Africa were the first to be eliminated, and New Zealand then beat Japan in the second round of voting.

"Winning the right to host 2011 is an enormous honor and privilege but also an enormous responsibility," said NZ rugby spokesman Jock Hobbs.

New Zealand hosted - and won - the first World Cup in 1987.

South Africa did the same in 1995, while Japan were hoping to host the event for the first time.

"I want to acknowledge Japan and South Africa," Hobbs added. "It was a very tough day so we feel their disappointment.

"We thank the IRB councillors and we won't let them down. It's a proud day to be a Kiwi."

International Rugby Board chairman, Syd Millar, said: "I would like to congratulate New Zealand, a great rugby nation.

"We received three excellent tenders of the highest quality. Any one of the three could have hosted a successful tournament."

The South African bid, led by former captain Francois Pienaar, was rejected after the first round of voting by IRB members.

Nveleli Ncula, deputy chief executive officer for South African Rugby Football Union said: "We thought we'd done our homework, this has come as a complete shock.

"We thought we'd prepared for every eventuality, we did a very very good job.

"We had the support of the government, and we had very positive responses from the unions but in a secret ballot anything can happen."

And I'll be in New Zealand by 2011! Fantastic! (But I'll miss the olympics...)

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Snippie said:
The host for the Rugby WC 2011 will be announced this afternoon.

The countries bidding for this is: South Africa, Japan and New Zealand

Most people agree that with their lack of infrastructure, Hotel Rooms and small stadia's NZ is basically out of the running. The only thing they have is a very big Rugby Culture, which does count for something, but if they are to host this, I'll be mightily surprised.

Japan is a strong contender. The IRB would like to expand the game to Asia, they have a very good Infrastructure with World Class Stadia's, but the fact that they aren't a Rugby playing Powerhouse, time zones, and that it is quite expensive to travel in Jap can count against their bid.

SA will have hosted the 2010 Football WC so will have the some of the world's best Stadias available. Very strong rugby playing nation, and they have backed the growing of the game throughout Africa by creating the African Leopards.

Most people think it will be a two-way fight between Japan and SA.

My heart wants it to come to SA, but I don't know, Japan has a strong case too, and who knows, NZ may surprise us...

But I will stand firm by my hope that SA will get it :D

What's your thoughts, who do you think will clinch it?
How wrong you were !!!!!

FANTASTIC NEWS FOR LITTLE NEW ZEALAND !!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Blaze

Banned
Very happy with the decision. Would love to see 2015 go to Japan though so that we can attempt to see the game grow there.. but I doubt it will.

Japanese people are just too small.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
KennyD said:
We dont need you. Our alleigances are with Japan, and their superior yen will serve us better.
You do need us. Your domestic game is a mess. We could pull out of the Super 14 and you would go to pieces - even more so than it is now.

As for the news, all your Japan supporters can start digging for China. :D
I can't wait - especially as I will hopefully get to cover plenty of games, wherever I may be.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fair play to NZ, I guess it is the only country where Union is the national sport.

Still think it's a bit short sighted myself tho.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If they had given South Africa the Cup, that would have been even more backwards than giving it to NZ considering South Africa were one of the more recent nations to have the tournament.

IMO it was justifiably down to NZ & Japan.

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Fair play to NZ, I guess it is the only country where Union is the national sport.

Still think it's a bit short sighted myself tho.

How will giving the world cup to Japan do anything for the sport there? They already have more playing numbers then NZ or South Africa. In reality they would get thrashings from the super powers and get knocked out in the group stage. I don't see how putting the tournament in their own backyard and letting their fans see them getting destroyed on the field first hand will help grow the game there.

I just can't see Japan ever doing much on a rugby field.. I hope I am wrong but the game just doesn't suit them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
How will giving the world cup to Japan do anything for the sport there? They already have more playing numbers then NZ or South Africa. In reality they would get thrashings from the super powers and get knocked out in the group stage. I don't see how putting the tournament in their own backyard and letting their fans see them getting destroyed on the field first hand will help grow the game there.

I just can't see Japan ever doing much on a rugby field.. I hope I am wrong but the game just doesn't suit them.
Well it's worth noting that before the 2002 Football WC Japan were nowhere in the world rankings, now they're in the top ten. It's simplistic to say that the improvement is entirely due to their hosting the tournament, but equally it's naive to say it had no effect.

I just think it's a missed opportunity to spread the gospel a bit further, that's all. Rugby is still essentially an Anglo-commonwealth sport (France excepted, obv) & I think it's missed a chance to broaden its appeal. I'll grant you that the Japanese physical stereotype is not ideally suited to Rugby, but in a national of 120 million it stands to reason there must be a few big lads.

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Well it's worth noting that before the 2002 Football WC Japan were nowhere in the world rankings, now they're in the top ten. It's simplistic to say that the improvement is entirely due to their hosting the tournament, but equally it's naive to say it had no effect.

I just think it's a missed opportunity to spread the gospel a bit further, that's all. Rugby is still essentially an Anglo-commonwealth sport (France excepted, obv) & I think it's missed a chance to broaden its appeal. I'll grant you that the Japanese physical stereotype is not ideally suited to Rugby, but in a national of 120 million it stands to reason there must be a few big lads.

Yeah, I would love to see the game grow as much as the next person but there seems to be a huge assumption that Japan hosting the World Cup would suddenly make them competitive.

New Zealand deserved it more than anyone IMO. Rugby is the national game and our people deserve another world cup for our constant support of the game. It may be the last opportunity for us to host one.

Japan should give 2015 a crack and hopefully the game does grow there, but it is not a give in.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
Yeah, I would love to see the game grow as much as the next person but there seems to be a huge assumption that Japan hosting the World Cup would suddenly make them competitive.

New Zealand deserved it more than anyone IMO. Rugby is the national game and our people deserve another world cup for our constant support of the game. It may be the last opportunity for us to host one.

Japan should give 2015 a crack and hopefully the game does grow there, but it is not a give in.
I don't think it would suddenly make them world-beaters, that will take years, but them hosting the WC would be a wonderful step in the right direction. I think it would spark interest & hopefully develop more of a Union culture.

I've no doubt NZ will make a stirling job of hosting the WC, Union is deeply ingrained in your collective psyche after all, but this is another in a long line of short-sighted decisions that narrow rather than broaden the game's appeal. Take the Super 12/14 expansion, I thought there was the ideal chance to give Japan or Argentina a franchise, but instead SA now have 5 teams when they were really struggling to put 4 competitive teams out.

Sorry to rant, but I love the sport & professionalism has widened the gap between the haves & the have-nots. If the IRB is serious about developing the game in the second teir nations (Canada, US, Japan, Argentina, Romania) I think actions would speak louder than words.