• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby League - International

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The rub of the green definately went the Kiwi's way but Great Britain never really looked likely.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Turns out France could be invited in 2009.

Is there any good French players? (I remember a few years ago they gave Australia a close game but they probably didn't really care about it perhaps)
Only just found out about that? Suppose that's another illustration of how little Australia and its media cares about the rest of the rugby league playing world...

And the french have some half decent players. Les Catalans have a couple of decent hookers in Berthezen and Rinaldi. They also have a young second row called Jamal Fakir who's highly rated and a couple of big props who'd be good once they learn to play league. Lack quality in the backs, though, and I'm not sure there's the depth in the other french clubs.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Just saw the tries and the tries that weren't on Sky before the Federation Shield final. Well and truly Robbed.

Speaking of the Federation Shield, Tonga have been impressive. Even if Samoa are poo, France don't seem to have turned up and England's team is made up of players who are 5th or 6th in line for GB places.
Would love it if sometime in the future we could have Australia, England, New Zealand, France, Tonga, Ireland and Russia playing regular international fixtures.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Shame Tonga couldn't run England closer. Awesome to see Fui Fui dishing out the biff, though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
Sean Long - didn't he get done for that before?

Idiot if so.
He got a fairly lengthy ban for gambling on a St Helens game, but the Beeb site has put his exit from the tour down to him breaking an alcohol ban.

Interesting.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Just saw the tries and the tries that weren't on Sky before the Federation Shield final. Well and truly Robbed.

Speaking of the Federation Shield, Tonga have been impressive. Even if Samoa are poo, France don't seem to have turned up and England's team is made up of players who are 5th or 6th in line for GB places.
Would love it if sometime in the future we could have Australia, England, New Zealand, France, Tonga, Ireland and Russia playing regular international fixtures.
Its bad enough France are joining the Tri Nations, if Australia played regular games against Russia, it would be the biggest waste of time ever. But it would be good if those teams from Pacific, Russia, Italy and Malta and stuff played more games against each other.

Craig

World Traveller
BoyBrumby said:
He got a fairly lengthy ban for gambling on a St Helens game, but the Beeb site has put his exit from the tour down to him breaking an alcohol ban.

Interesting.
Alochol ban is just a cover up at this point IMO.

But we will see and doubtless I am wrong.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Sean Long - didn't he get done for that before?

Idiot if so.
Don't believe it. He's stupid, but not stupid enough to get himself caught doing it 2 years after being banned for it.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
chaminda_00 said:
Its bad enough France are joining the Tri Nations, if Australia played regular games against Russia, it would be the biggest waste of time ever. But it would be good if those teams from Pacific, Russia, Italy and Malta and stuff played more games against each other.
Note I didn't say right now but some time in the future. Those team do need to play each other more at this point in time, but the only way these teams will develop properly and Rugby League will expand globally is by those teams regularly getting to play the top teams regularly. It will need to happen at some point, and will be best for the game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
steds said:
Note I didn't say right now but some time in the future. Those team do need to play each other more at this point in time, but the only way these teams will develop properly and Rugby League will expand globally is by those teams regularly getting to play the top teams regularly. It will need to happen at some point, and will be best for the game.
I think they should do what they do in Rugby where they basically have a two their system. I remember in the last World Cup, a guy from Uruguary played like 70 Tests, without playing a top team outside Argentina. Until sides perform at a competitve level at the World Cup, they should only play each other.

Perm

I heard about Sean Long being sent home, sounds pretty suspicious. Either for "match fixing" or breaking a team alcohol ban, the newspapers didn't specify which. What an idiot. I agree that some of the second tier nations should get some more game time against each other. Similar to the Pacific 5 Nations in rugby with Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Japan and the Junior AB's. Not sure whether the same could be done with league.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
I heard about Sean Long being sent home, sounds pretty suspicious. Either for "match fixing" or breaking a team alcohol ban, the newspapers didn't specify which. What an idiot.
He is an idiot, but they're both unconfirmed rumours (unless my avatar is to be believed). The other rumour is that his pregnant wife is in hospital, so leave it off until an explanation is given.

Perm

Fair enough, the way the media had it was that he had been "sent" home for disciplinary reasons, if his wife has in hospital then I'm sure the Great Britain media manager would have said just that.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
Fair enough, the way the media had it was that he had been "sent" home for disciplinary reasons, if his wife has in hospital then I'm sure the Great Britain media manager would have said just that.
Well, the official line is that he left off his own accord for "personal reasons", although that could mean anything from "someone really close to me has died" to "I'm bored and don't like playing in this country so I'm leaving" ala Trescothick.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
When I posted that it was based on Ceefax saying it was gambling-related.

The story has been updated since then!

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Great Britain for tomorrow/Saturday:
Wellens, Pryce, Gleeson, Senior, Raynor; McGuire, Horne; Fielden, Newton, Peacock, Hock, Ellis, O'Loughlin. Replacements: Roby, Morley, Gilmour, Wilkin.

No goalkicker. Kiss of death if we want to score more than Australia, really. Wellens and McGuire are almost half decent, but you need better than almost half decent against the best in the world.

In other news, I've only just found out Mark Edmondson has signed for Salford. Disappointed tbh. Would have loved him to come back to Saints. Would have loved it even more if he would have stuck it out in Aus and proved he's good enough, although it's obvious he's too lightweight to be a successful NRL forward tbph. Could have been worse though. Salford > Wigan or France.