• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rubbish cricketers with a WC medal

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Hauritz was in the 2007 squad?

I'm sure Haddin played in one of the group games against an associate.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haha.. what..!? Bracken was the best ODI bowler for long period of time and he was fantastic during the worldcup as well.

Hogg too is a seriously underrated ODI bowler, if I'm not wrong he has close to 35 odd worldcup wickets to his name which is a pretty damn good effort!!!

Tait, Bichel and Moody also did carry out their roles in their respective sides very well.

From the way I look at it no worldcup medal winner is rubbish if he has been the part of the worldcup winning team's playing XI, though the blokes who are just the part of the squad and don't feature in the playing XI obviously are slightly undeserving medal winners.

Brad Haddin, Brendon Julian and Nathan Hauritz are probably the three undeserving worldcup medal winners I can think of, as none of them played a single game for their side during their worldcup winning campaign.
Not saying they were rubbish or undeserving at all mate, as you said they played very important roles. Just got the feeling they really turned it on in that particular competition more than usual, but maybe I didn't follow the rest of their careers closely enough.

pup11

International Coach
Hauritz was in the 2007 squad?

I'm sure Haddin played in one of the group games against an associate.
Hauritz was the part of the 2003 worldcup winning squad. As for Haddin playing a game I'm not sure about that mate, I think Gilly just made it in time from his paternity leave.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seems there's a good chance one of Robin Peterson, Munaf Patel and Chamara Kapugedera getting a winner's medal this year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't wait for people to dig this to name Luke Wright, Michael Yardy and James Tredwell :cool:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Seems there's a good chance one of Robin Peterson, Munaf Patel and Chamara Kapugedera getting a winner's medal this year.
And if not it'll be John Hastings, Kamran Akmal, Jamie How, Luke Wright or Ravi Rampaul.

Oh God, they're everywhere...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
It also has to be mentioned that NZ came within two games of winning the World Cup in '99 with Carl Bulfin in the team. Carl ****ing Bulfin.
Remarkably, he's still turning out for Marlborough in the Hawke Cup.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not saying they were rubbish or undeserving at all mate, as you said they played very important roles. Just got the feeling they really turned it on in that particular competition more than usual, but maybe I didn't follow the rest of their careers closely enough.
They performed when it mattered which is usually a sign of a good cricketer I would have thought. Bracken before he lost it circa 2008 had a ODI bowling average of 21 after 90 odd games.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd hesitate before calling him "rubbish" but Roger Binny was the bits-and-pieces archetype and, not only did he get a gong, but he took more wickets at a WC than anyone had before him.

jeevan

International 12th Man
I'd hesitate before calling him "rubbish" but Roger Binny was the bits-and-pieces archetype and, not only did he get a gong, but he took more wickets at a WC than anyone had before him.
And Madan Lal. He did pretty well in that same WC too.

Whatever their talent might have been, and however the rest of their careers may have gone - they came through in spades in that tournament and certainly earned their medals.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And Madan Lal. He did pretty well in that same WC too.

Whatever their talent might have been, and however the rest of their careers may have gone - they came through in spades in that tournament and certainly earned their medals.
Embarrassingly, both Madan Lal and Binny have skittled England to set up famous test wins for India.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Having seen both Madan Lal and Roger Binny play, my initial thoughts were that it would be harsh to class either Munaf Patel or Nehra alongside them

However, then I had a look at Nehra's record in all formats and it's clear he has to be a contender here

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Timely bump.

Sreesanth and Chawla, though they have time to prove themselves not rubbish.