• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2019 Ashes

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s what happens when fans of other teams become involved in an Ashes subforum, which is why it’s been banned for so long.

wrongun

Banned
And I thought it would only be the English posters boring the crap out of the rest of us with their wheel of mediocre test openers debates.
The debate is not boring by any stretch....I don't understand how you can post that as a moderator? Your comment contributes nothing to this discussion.

Speaking of boring, I was looking yup weather patterns for the Test, and it seems like rain is in the forecast for Day 1,3,4 and thunderstorms for 5.

Gob

International Coach
The debate is not boring by any stretch....I don't understand how you can post that as a moderator? Your comment contributes nothing to this discussion.

Speaking of boring, I was looking yup weather patterns for the Test, and it seems like rain is in the forecast for Day 1,3,4 and thunderstorms for 5.
Thankfully you'll get a full days play in day 2 which should be sufficient for Estraya to go one zip up.

aussie tragic

International Captain
So if Langer wasn't around, Lehman names his XII for first Test and picks all 4 openers (with Khawaja unlikely)

Lehmann’s XI: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Marcus Harris, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Joe Burns, Tim Paine (c, wk), James Pattinson/Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon

wrongun

Banned
So if Langer wasn't around, Lehman names his XII for first Test and picks all 4 openers (with Khawaja unlikely)

Lehmann’s XI: David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Marcus Harris, Steve Smith, Travis Head, Joe Burns, Tim Paine (c, wk), James Pattinson/Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Lyon
Haze and Lyon are a lock. Which is accurate. Having Starc and Pattinson in the same lineup without haze or Lyon could be disastrous

wrongun

Banned
Thankfully you'll get a full days play in day 2 which should be sufficient for Estraya to go one zip up.
Right on. Skittle the poms out for 72 on the first day...score 100-2 with rain...use the second day to extend that lead....and then skittle them out. Lol

wrongun

Banned
You'll need someone to bowl the long spells.
Exactly, Starc and Patto have been too injury prone. Rather have them both spread out over 5 tests than go nuts with them,....unless we pick 5 bowlers. As previously discussed, that would be ideal for me since it would mean Aus playing to its strengths.

trundler

You don't play to your strengths if it means making your weakness absolutely fatal. The 5th bowler doesn't add much value anyway. It's as stupid as having an all rounder at #8. Not worth the compromise in the other discipline.

wrongun

Banned
You don't play to your strengths if it means making your weakness absolutely fatal. The 5th bowler doesn't add much value anyway. It's as stupid as having an all rounder at #8. Not worth the compromise in the other discipline.
You ALWAYS play to your strengths....no ifs and's or buts. That's strategy 101...the rest is just mental masturbation. The 5th bowler may or may not add value depending on the game situation....but you cannot go in with a worst case scenario mentality. Playing a 5th bowler would not compromise much since the 6th batsmen has not really produced much for Aus.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Australia don't need a 5th bowler. Three quicks plus Lyon.

Hazelwood had a poor summer last summer and then got injured. He hasn't done much since his return from injury.

Pattinson
Cummins
Starc
Lyon

Should be the attack.

Batting order (assuming Khawaja can't play) should be

Warner
Harris
Smith
Patterson
Head
Burns
Paine+

On the understanding that Harris goes for Khawaja when the latter is fit.

Head and Patterson did enough last summer to get a run. Smith needs to bat 3 to counter the moving ball. Harris doesn't really deserve to stay but he's the incumbent and should maker room for Khawaja on his return.

Burns should bat in the middle order where he isn't as exposed to the new swinging ball. He has a penchant for making big scores but he also gets out a lot to the new ball. Batting in the middle order would solidify the middle order and better suit his skill set.

TheJediBrah

Haze and Lyon are a lock. Which is accurate. Having Starc and Pattinson in the same lineup without haze or Lyon could be disastrous
Not sure how you can say Haze is a lock when he's just come back from injury and doesn't seem to have been much good since

TheJediBrah

Best case scenario for Aus. Wash out the whole Ashes and we retain the trophy. No way we are beating the rampaging poms otherwise. Smith will average 100 for the series and we'll still lose most games by an innings.