• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2015 Ashes in England

Antihippy

International Debutant
I actually cannot forsee a future where mitch marsh will be useful with the ball.

Watson at least (used to?) be able to swing it. Mitch marsh just plonks it on a length at 135km.

Spark

Global Moderator
I actually cannot forsee a future where mitch marsh will be useful with the ball.

Watson at least (used to?) be able to swing it. Mitch marsh just plonks it on a length at 135km.
He might get bounce but I'm thinking as a batsman here.

we're yorkshire

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Awful choice, didn't even consider where we win games. We should never play test cricket at the Oval as its one of the worst wickets in cricket. Should have Old Trafford in every Ashes, and Headingley should at the very least be considered.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

MMarsh much taller in his action than Watson so will be much more useful at home you'd think.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Twatto will play if fit. That's just how it goes. That leaves 1 spot for Voges or a Marsh. They will keep Darsh and MMarsh won't play unless Twatto gets injured or doesn't do homework.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Twatto will play if fit. That's just how it goes. That leaves 1 spot for Voges or a Marsh. They will keep Darsh and MMarsh won't play unless Twatto gets injured or doesn't do homework.
Mate this is a different era. Watto needs to skoll a dozen beers With the boys

Tangles

Shorter flight from the WI but that wouldn't have stopped the great man. #noexcuses

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Telegraph
'Australia’s squad for the Ashes, due to be announced Tuesday morning Melbourne-time, will include what could turn out to be the strongest all-round pace attack they have sent to England'.
I get the feeling that

Lindwall, Miller, Davidson and Johnston

Or

McGrath, Gillespie, Kaspa and Lee

Or

Lillee, Thomson and Walker

Might have something to say...

adub

International Captain
Watson never really swung it at the same stage either, only really started to once he slowed down a bit.
Yep Watson for years bowled 140kph straight pies. Looked good on the radar gun, but looked bad when the ball returned faster past him than it was delivered. Really became a handy bowler after injuries forced him to slow it down and he discovered he could swing it.

Gob

International Coach
voges should bat at 3 I think.i don't mind shane watson from 3 or 4 years ago batting at first drop but in current form its a bit of a disaster. watto and mmarsh should battle for the all rounder spot at 6

Gob

International Coach
Rodgers
Warner
Voges
Smith
Clarke
Watson
Haddin
Johnsin
Harris
Hazlewood
Lyon

feels about right

Tangles

What makes you think Darsh will be dropped? Voges was a swap for Burns and Burns only played due to Clarke being out. I'm a fan of anyone but Darsh but the selectors all have his poster on their walls.

Rogers
Warner
Smith
Clarke
Watson
Darsh

Is probable although where Watson bats is debatable. He could bat 4/5/6. Smith wants 3 so it's more about how to arrange the other 3. I would put Clarke at 5 (best spot, age and injury are factors now) and Watson at 6. That leaves an opening at 4 for Voges. Plus Watson at 6 makes it clear that he's playing as an all rounder. If he loses form you can then bring in MMarsh at 6 without affecting multiple spots.