• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ricky Ponting.The best?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
PhoenixFire said:
and still is for me..... :laugh:
And thats fine. That still doesn't change my argument (which you objected to), that most people are against bodyline and consider the tactic unfair.

I think Jardine should have been banned forever along with Larwood, personally but only Larwood never played for England again.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
No discredit to you, but I'm gonna need to hear it from more people than some random guy off the internet, however much I respect you cricket knowledge.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fair enough, and although you're not the first person I've heard defend bodyline, you're definitely the first to claim that most people don't have a problem with it. A cursory look at past literature would show what the general feeling was after everyone understood what it was (initially it was just confused with leg theory).

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Most people who knew Jardine seem to see him as an arrogant aloof man who few people got to know on a personal level, not a great man manager. He had little time for the press which makes you wonder how he would cope with the intense media pressure today.
Larwood was a hero in England, he was just a great fast bowler who did what his captain told him to. Without a bowler of Larwood's speed and accuracy Bodyline wouldn't have worked, it's interesting to note that half of his wickets in that series were clean bowled which a very high percentage.
Compared to the bowling of Lillee and Thomson and the West Indies sides of the 80's, Bodyline was a picnic.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
That cheating Pom tried to hurt the Don and the Don still averaged 55 against him. Dire man.:@
Calling Jardine "that cheating pom" is an innacurate statement. "That cheating pom" was doing something withing the laws of the game at that time, so therefore was not cheating. On behalf of "that cheating pom" I request that you retract that statement. Or at the very least change said statement to "that immoral pom" or "that unsporting pom". :)

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lillian Thomson said:
Ricky Ponting inherited the best team in the World and has kept that run going, it doesn't automatically make him the greatest ever captain.
My sentiments exactly.

Punter may well end up being the 2nd best batsman of all time - but he is not the best captain. Not by a long shot in my book. Tubby Taylor is the best Aussie captain I've seen.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
While Ricky Ponting is undoubtedly a great batsman, a cheese sandwich could captain the Australian cricket team as effectively. Seriously, all he has to do is show up.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah but thats not the point of the thread (at least I don't think so).

Ever since he was given captaincy his batting has reached a new level, and I think andmark is explicity referring to batting when he asks; "is he the best 'batting captain' in history", that is the best batsman during their stint as captain ever.

Obviously Bradman takes that mantle, but Ponting would be up there with a couple others for 2nd place.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
Jamee999 said:
Bodyline was incredibly smart.
Yeah and so was rolling the ball along the ground.Both weren't against the rule but both were immorally wrong.
I think what you'll find though that some Englisman call the bodyline smart thinking while most of the world views it as cheating and immorally wrong.
Bodyline was quite bad, I don't see how any englishman can defend that.. Bowlers were pretty much out their to hurt the batsman. I'd have liked to there at the time.. i'd personally like to beat the hell out of Jardine during one of the matches :ph34r:
Pitch invasion was quite common in those days wasnt it ?

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah it's pretty obvious what andmark was talking about and he has a good point.

Haven't seen a case of so many people missing the point on this site in a long time.