• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

richie benaud's greatest 11

wickies 4 ar's

Cricket Spectator
in case everybody didn't see on the net or on the TV here's the list

1. Jack Hobbs
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Sir Donald Bradman
4. Sir Vivian Richards
5. Sachin Tendulkar
6. Sir Garfield Sobers
7. Imran Khan
8. Adam Gilchrist
9. Shane Warne
10. Dennis Lillee
11. Syd Barnes

12th man: keith miller

the only thing i was going to go over is the controversy that murali didin't make the list. when it was on TV richie explained that since he was a leg spinner the spin position was always going to be a leg spinner and not an off spinner regardless of how good murali is. he then went on to say that if he was going to have an off spinner the team he already has sobers in the team!

nookie_lk

First Class Debutant
Load of bull .... Shane Warne is there but no Murali....and the excuse he gives is....<no comment> crap basically

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
It is his Eleven and therefore his choice really.. He obviously has a love for leg spin having bowled it himself and therefore he is entitled to pick Warne

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
nookie_lk said:
Load of bull .... Shane Warne is there but no Murali....and the excuse he gives is....<no comment> crap basically

He hasn't chosen an XI which he thinks is the best of all time, rather one that he would like to watch. You really cannot bag him for that.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
i dont agree witht the team but this isnt the place, and this has been surely talked about before.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nnanden said:
i dont agree witht the team but this isnt the place, and this has been surely talked about before.
You can't disagree with a team that someone has selected on the basis that they want to watch that team.

bryce

International Regular
i actually think the reason is the one Mr Wright said, that he didn't pick a 'best XI' but an XI that he would like to see play the most - and he would rather watch warne bowl than murali, simple as that.
this is hardly site discussion either

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mister Wright said:
You can't disagree with a team that someone has selected on the basis that they want to watch that team.
bah, I dont agree with that team if it is his World XI (which apparently it isnt). :wacko: whatever!

C_C

International Captain
its his team- if he wants to put his grandson in there, all the powers to him.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depending on which stage of Imran's career he was at I'd prefer have Gilchrist ahead of him.

Marcus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Warne definatly for me......but why isnt Botham in the line up....Botham at his best was the best allrounder ever in the History of the Game....although this is a argued opinion.....Botham and Richards in a side...u coundnt get a better double act

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There are plenty of good reasons why Botham was not even the best all-rounder of his generation, let alone of all-time.
To suggest him as better than Sir Garfield (along with about 30 others) is really rather like the old goat-farmer from Ulyan Bataar thingy.

Josh

International Regular
Shane Warne is the best spin bowler of all time.
Shane Warne has to be in the top 5 of ANY bowler of all time.
Shane Warne is the greatest Victorian of all time.

He is the ONLY choice for spin bowler.

C_C

International Captain
best spin bowler of alltime is Murali.
no two ways about it.
He operates in a vastly inferior bowling attack yet averages better than Warne against just about everybody.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Don't make me roll out the old arguments about Bangladesh/Zimbabwe matches, lack of bowlers to share wickets with and supportive (dare I say doctored?) home pitches that have all inflated Murali's stats.

cric_manic

First Class Debutant
shane warne said himself that murali will eventully have the record and wont be able to be matched by him because the pitches in sri lanka are made for murali,srilanka have a very dependant bowling attack on murali and the amount of world class bowlers in the aussie team the wickets are shared more evenly between the aussie bowlers in test matches

so warne is defently better

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
LongHopCassidy said:
supportive (dare I say doctored?) home pitches
I'd avoid "daring" that if I were you - given that were you to say that you'd be categorically incorrect.
Doctored pitches are those that are altered illicitly during the course of a match.
Not pitches that are prepared to utilise home advantage.