• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Richard Hadlee vs Dale Steyn

Better Test bowler

• Total voters

Gob

International Coach
There are few threads running with similar discussions but i'd like to see people's opinions on these two specifically. Their numbers are uncannily similar as were their bowling styles although Steyn may have been slightly faster. Both have good cases to be regarded as the next best thing to MM or even ahead of him

Hadlee

FormatMatInnsBallsRunsWktsBBIBBMAveSR4w5w10w
Test861502191896114319/5215/12322.2950.8025369

Steyn

FormatMatInnsBallsRunsWktsBBIBBMAveEconSR4w5w10w
Test9317118608100774397/5111/6022.953.2442.3027265

Flem274*

123/5
Dale Steyn outperformed his contemporaries by a very large margin. His direct competitors were James Anderson and Ryan Harris for most of his career. I'm giving it to Steyn.

Flem274*

123/5
Having worse contemporaries doesn't make one better than someone else who had less crap contemporaries.
It makes you infinitely more valuable to your side during your playing days, which is all that matters IRL.

Also we don't really admit it down here but Hadlee did get his fair share of juicy home decks. Steyn's early rise to ATGhood was during the pitch homogenization era.

Gob

International Coach
It makes you infinitely more valuable to your side during your playing days, which is all that matters IRL.

Also we don't really admit it down here but Hadlee did get his fair share of juicy home decks. Steyn's early rise to ATGhood was during the pitch homogenization era.
RSA pitches weren't too shabby either tbh

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't even know where you're going with this. You were comparing Steyn to contemporaries Anderson and Harris, neither of whom played for South Africa last time I checked, presumably implying that this makes Steyn better as Hadlee had Marshall etc. as contemporaries.
But now you're talking about value to own side. A bowler averaging 26 is much more valuable to a side where everyone else averages 40 than a bowler averaging 21 where everyone else averages 23, does that make the first bowler better?
Secondly, the average of the non-Hadlee NZ bowlers in matches where Hadlee played was 37.04, while the equivalent for Steyn was 31.71, and Hadlee took 35.7% of the wickets while Steyn took 28.5%. Steyn had far more competent support right through his career.
Overall your own metrics, when you're not contradicting yourself, prove that Hadlee was significantly more valuable.

Home/away split doesn't really support this.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Hadlee by a whisker for me, though I wouldn't argue against anyone rating Steyn higher. Both absolute elite bowlers.

I don't really think though, that either benefitted much by having spicy home pitches. Both have been great in a variety of conditions across the globe.

subshakerz

International Coach
Both have great records, but Steyn was taken apart even in his prime years many times. He would take a 10-fer in one test and look listless in the next. Hadlee was a more consistent performer in that regard.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hadlee quite clearly for mine, even though it's not by a lot. Steyn was probably more consistent over his whole career, but Hadlee the bowler between around 1980-1990 was almost incomparable, with the exception of MM.

Hadlee's my number 2 of all-time, Steyn 4 or 5.

Slifer

International Captain
Nice comparison but for me, Sir Richard Hadlee and Glenn McGrath are about the only two pace bowlers I'd rank above Malcolm so Hadlee for me. Great great bowler and overall cricketer.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Steyn bowled during the era of flat decks to generally better batting lineups imo. He was incredibly far ahead of anyone else around him too for the majority of his career. Slightly ahead for mine.

Childhood favourite so I’m biased though.

Chrish

International Debutant
Steyn for me but perhaps I am biased not having seen anything from Hadlee other than YT clips..

Steyn’s performance was otherworldly though. In the era where almost every team was getting white-washed, RSA didn’t loose a single away series for almost a decade and this “domination” was built on a back of Steyn’s bowling performances. That has to count for something.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

Also, as many juicy home decks you contend there were in NZ, there were equally as many low and slow mudpits.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hadlee, for me, based on incredibly longevity. The guy took 1490 FC wickets, played Test cricket and was still taking Test five-fors as a 39 year old Sir. He played back to back to back to back to back summers with massive workloads, and hardly ever broke down. When he did, he had to remodel his approach and slow himself down, but was still incredibly effective. He also claimed to be able to control seam movement both ways, which sounds like a bit of a Sir Richard-ism but I like it.

Steyn was incredible too, and obviously a different bowler with different strings to his bow.