• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Review your country's World Cup squad

Himannv

International Coach
but then you guys had different expectations as defending champions compared to them too
I think Squiddie was a bit more positive than GIMH, but he's just unnaturally happy when he sees Woakes in the lineup. I think GIMH has a slightly more accurate set of ratings although he went overboard a bit with some of the bowler ratings.

Or it could be that I'm just generally a **** and hate everybody.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Warner - slogged a couple of half decent scores 4/10

Head - can't play the short ball, the moving ball, the ball that swings or the spinning ball. Rode his luck to slog a 100 in the final 4/10

Marsh - another slogger who scored one lucky 100 4/10

Smith - can't even slog 3/10

Labushchagne - the weirdo makes Smith look normal 4/10

Glenn Maxi Maxwell - yet another middle order slogger -5/10

Inglis - genuinely **** keeper batsman 3/10

Stoinis 😆😆😆😆 - his highlight was the catched he claimed which clearly bounced. Even for us cheating Aussies that was too much 0/10

Starc - bowled more wides than the rest of the side put together 4/10

Cummings - if he really cared about climate change he'd have got the train instead of flying 3/10

Hazlewood - Mr Charisma - forgot he was in the squad 3/10

Zampa - bowled well to start off but couldn't maintain that standard 3/10

Abbott- was on the pitch more than any other player as we bent the rules continuously over sub fielders 6/10

Carey - I mean really - how he had the nerve to collect his medal I'll never know

Cameron Green - showed his true potential as our 1st World class all rounder since Keith Miller 3/10

Last edited:

Owzat

U19 Captain
Bairstow - 3. A couple of 40+ scores and that's about it
Malan - 6. A couple of decent knocks but plenty of failure in there too.
Root - 4. Unfairly given out V India, had this not happened England would have won the World Cup. But based on the info we have, he was disappointing.
Stokes - 7. England's best player when available, not for the first time
Brook - 4. His talent was on display but all too infrequently. Needs to forge an identity in ODIs
Buttler - N/A. It was a shame Jos missed the tournament and hopefully we have him back real soon
Livingstone - 2. An upside down tournament because he generally bowled well but batted terribly with a couple of fall of fame reviews thrown in for good measure.
Moeen - 3. Time to say bye bye to ODIs Moeen I think.
Curran - 2. Oh boy
Woakes - 6. Horrorshow first three games. Genuinely very good when he came back, which shut all of the HAHAHAHA WOAKES OVERSEAS bores up, given that's not actually a thing in white ball cricket
Topley - 7. Ah what might have been.
Rashid - 7. Don't think he could have done anymore really. Loses points for a very silly run out V Sri Lanka
Atkinson - 7. I like what I see.
Willey - 8. Probably actually England's best player, even though I said Stokes was. Can hold his head high
Wood - 4. So disappointing that I actually forgot about him. Probably not quite as bad as his figures suggest tbf.
Carse - Had a better tournament than most of them tbf.
I get so used to seeing reviews or comments about England containing 50% tripe or thereabouts well done on breaking that mould.

would maybe argue one or two out of ten for maybe two to three out of 16

ironic really as I think you've been a tad harsh on Rashid and Topley, the only two bowlers really turned up with any consistency

Owzat

U19 Captain
I think Squiddie was a bit more positive than GIMH, but he's just unnaturally happy when he sees Woakes in the lineup. I think GIMH has a slightly more accurate set of ratings although he went overboard a bit with some of the bowler ratings.

Or it could be that I'm just generally a **** and hate everybody.
I think GimH was a lot more accurate and fair, if anything could argue a bit generous on the bowlers who were anonymous in eg NZL and SRL games, and hammered vs SAF, and harsh as it may sound also let the opposition get a few runs too many at key points eg AFG 100+ without loss and even then two late 40 partnerships IIRC and indeed IND when three wickets to be in a strong position conceded 91 (?) for the 4th wicket and that was THREE TIMES the next highest partnership in the match

yes England lost to Sri Lanka by poor batting, but poor bowling cost them any chance vs South Africa and arguably kiwis as well (credit where it is dew, regardless, to conceded 200+ for 2nd wicket to lose by 9 wickets is feeble)

Problem was the batting a few times let the side down, but the bowling let the side down BADLY at times and either let the opponents an easy ride or left the batsmen a mountain to climb - they repaid it by being equally ordinary at times, a tail of 6-11 with a HS at one late stage of 43no (?) from Wood says it all, think that was 5-11 with Stokes until late on

wrong bowlers taken for my money, Ali could have been replaced by Dawson, almost anyone for some of the others, I mean Wood has barely ever been good in ODIs and overseas worse, why pick him other than games for the lads....?!?!?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Openers

• Pathum Nissanka - I think he was generally quite consistent and had only 3 scores below 40. The concern for me is that those 3 low scores came against stronger opposition, which indicates there's a level more for him to step up. 6/10
  • Dimuth Karunaratne - He just played 2 games and did nothing in both of them. You kind of hope that a player with his experience can hang in there and contribute, but he was woeful and shouldn't play LO games anymore at 35. 1/10
  • Kusal Perera - Two good knocks in seven games. I feel like he was struggling with his timing and looked a player short of recent matches (which he is). 3/10

Middle order

• Kusal Mendis - My favourite waste of time. He looked phenomenal in the first two games and looked like he had finally turned a page. Then he reverted back to being rubbish. I just don't know what it is with this guy - he has all the tools to be a great player and has been backed to the hilt, but he is so inconsistent. He can smash anyone if its his day and takes advantage of fielding restrictions well, but more often than not he lets you down. 4/10
  • Sadeera Samarawickrama - I think he definitely deserves to be persisted with. He's a clever player and generally goes ok. He scored 3 or 4 very good knocks and generally had a passable tournament. He's another one like Nissanka where he seems to have failed against the top teams. He needs to make that step up and perform against the best. 6/10
  • Charith Asalanka - Another one who had a decent tournament but struggled against stronger sides. I think he has the ability to go for the big shots when he needs to and is clear on his role in the team as a finisher who not only goes hard but also bats under pressure. Just needs to show more quality against better teams. 6/10
  • DDS - I just don't know why they didn't try him further up the order. He's generally alright against pace and we've been lacking an opener so I'm not sure why he bats at 6 where he's woeful. In the few occasions that he opened he did quite well. With the ball, he's been underwhelming and not impactful enough. I think he'd be better on more spin-friendly turfs and he needs more effort and revs on the ball to be more effective in India. Anyway, none of that masks what has been a terrible tournament for him. 2/10
  • Angelo Mathews - Despite his age, he wasn't completely past it eh. I think he looked the only one who acted like a proper senior pro and tried to guide the team out of the mess it was often in with his experience. Handled the pressure quite well and even picked up a few unexpected wickets. He didn't score too many but his bowling and overall impact pushes his score up. 5/10
  • Dasun Shanaka - The argument still rages on on whether he deserves his place in the team. He doesn't bowl himself enough when you think he might just get a few more overs in to balance things out. He fails miserably for most part with the bat although in fairness he did have one good knock. 2/10

Bowlers

• Dunith Wellalage - A shining light in the Asia Cup but he failed miserably in India. He needs more revs on the ball, more intensity to make an impact, more accuracy in terms of length, and generally more of everything. He also didn't do enough with the bat despite being quite decent. 1/10
  • Maheesh Theekshana - He is supposed to be the experienced spinner who is used to these conditions and has generally been a handful in the past, but this was a poor tournament for him. He struggled to get enough turn and have enough of an impact on the game despite being the main spinner in the side. I'm not sure how much of this was down to injury, but this was a below par performance for sure. 3.5/10
  • Dushan Hemantha - Didn't take wickets and needs more games to grow into his role. Meh 2/10
  • Dilshan Madushanka - Wow! Find of the tournament for us for sure. Picked up 21 wickets in the tournament and was a threat throughout. He bowled some truly unplayable deliveries and generally mixed in some good slower balls later on. Hope he keeps it up and adds more consistency to his game. 9/10
  • Kasun Rajitha - Slightly more wily bowler than some of the others but he lacks a bit of quality at times and isn't enough of a threat. I think he's not terrible but he has to figure out how to be more effective, especially against stronger teams. 3/10
  • Lahiru Kumara - Dude is quick and can be a handful once he figures out what he needs to do on a particular pitch. He's fat and brainless though and his lack of intelligence undermines any chance of putting his talents to good use. He's quite injury prone and needs to stay fit and play regularly and get someone to do his thinking for him. 3.5/10
  • Matheesha Pathirana - Right arm "holy cow, why is he bowling it to 3rd legslip" fast. He's useful when he gets it right but that's rare. Typical street bowler, there's thousands like him around after Malinga made it big. 1/10
  • Dushmantha Chameera - Supposed to be our most experienced quick but was largely ineffective although I don't know how much of that was down to injury. 2/10
Mathews should lose points for his duck against Bangladesh. Terrible innings

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Rohit Sharma: Was mostly good throughout the tournament; gave the starts the team needed but failed to consistently deliver long innings. Still a bit salty about the way he got out in the Final. 8.5/10
Shubhman Gill:
Had high expectations while going into the tournament. Recently recovered from malaria, but still delivered some good runs; though lacked consistency. 6.5/10
Virat Kohli:
Truly don't have much to complain about. Was really a phenomenal campaign from him; have grievances that he could had scored more in the Final, but truly, he did scored a 50 there also. 9.5/10
Shreyas Iyer:
Wasn't always needed by the side, but performed on every chance he got. Just wished he batted better in the Final. 8.5/10
K L Rahul:
Dependable throughout the tournament. Played an important knock in Final; albeit very slow and lost his wicket in the wrong time. Wicket keeping wise: was good overall but in the Final looked horrible. 8.5/10
Suryakumar Yadav:
Didn't really required for him to bat majority of times; but failed to leave a big mark on any match. 3.5/10
Ravindra Jadeja:
Bowled well, but in the Final. With the bat, didn't got to show much. 7.5/10
Mohammad Shami:
Played only 7 matches but still managed to be the highest wicket taker. Bowled phenomenal in the semis; and has two more 5 fifers and one 4 wicket hall to boost. Though he was looking dangerous in the early overs in the Finals; he gave too many extras and was ultimately inept. 9.5/10
Jasprit Bumrah:
Being India's leading bowler heading into the tournament; didn't really disappointed but again.... Had more expectations especially in the Final. 8/10
Mohammad Siraj:
Had high expectations going in but ultimately a disappointment. Wasn't horrible per say; but nothing special also. 5/10
Kuldeep Yadav:
Bowled mostly well..... But in the Final. 7/10
Hardik Pandya:
Went out early with the injury. Was mostly good while he played. Kinda missed him in the knockouts. 6.5/10
Ravichandran Ashwin:
Played only one match. Was good in it. 7/10
Ishan Kishan:
Didn't played many matches but failed to do anything in the ones he did. 2/10

FBU

International Debutant
Coaches
Stead NZ - 8
McDonald - 8
Trott Afg - 8
Walter SA - 7
Cook Ned - 6
Dravid Ind - 5
Silverwood SL - 2
Bradburn Pak - 2
Mott Eng - 1

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Fakhar Zaman: Played a couple of brutal knocks, the kind which this side needed much more of. However, he got himself (fairly) dropped at the start of the tournament which threw out the balance of the batting order. 7/10 overall.
Abdullah Shafique: Find of the tournament for Pakistan. Didn't set the world on fire like Ravindra but had precious little experience before the tournament and did very well. One of the shining lights. 7.5/10
Imam-Ul-Haq
. Eh. A case study in modern ODI stats being inflated. Needs to sort out his issues against the short ball. 3/10
Babar Azam
: Came into the tournament as one of the most talked about players based on his previous WC showing and subsequent success but let his country down when he should've been hitting his peak. Disappointing. Went alright but not even a single ton for an ODI ton-machine was shocking. 6/10.
Mohammad Rizwan: Probably Pakistan's best batsman. A couple of key contributions. Needs to go big more often though and seemed erratic at times, especially against SA. 7.5/10.
Saud Shakeel: Another one who threw away starts but he at least batted quickly and stepped up despite inexperience. Hope he continues to improve. Did decently. 6/10.
Iftikhar Ahmed
: The absence of Fakhar perhaps put too much pressure on him to deliver explosive finishes but he disappointed every time he had any responsibility fall on him except against Afghanistan. 4/10.
Shadab Khan: Disgraceful with the ball. No control at all. Would've gone for runs in that low scoring T20 series between India and NZ a while back. Kept things interesting by mixing up full tosses and half trackers I guess. A couple of decent cameos with the bat though. 2/10
Usama Mir
: Yuck. Cost the match against Australia with his fielding and was worse with the ball. 1/10
Mohammad Nawaz
: Should never play for Pakistan again. Awful. 1/10
Hasasn Ali
: Pretty much Pakistan's Thakur these days. A couple of decent spells against the lesser sides and not much else. 3.5/10
Haris Rauf
: Probably the player to get humbled the most in this tournament. Came in on a hot streak and got destroyed by almost everyone. Basicallly bowled BBL lengths on typical SC decks and paid the price for it. Went ok at the death. 3/10
Mohammad Wasim
: Decent. Had an uphill task coming in when Pakistan was desperate. Bowled his heart out and can hold his head high. 7.5/10
Shaheen Shah Afridi
: HIs new ball bowling was a huge problem. Got no swing and lacked pace on top of that (probably due to fitness) which made him cannon fodder in the first power-play. Did very well at the death generally but you need your strike bowler to take new ball wickets. But then, he was let down in the field at times too. Tough one. 7/10 is fair I think.
A bit too high for Shaheen but otherwise pretty good ratings. I never really wanna see Hassan and Nawaz around anymore which means I'll probably see them a lot.