• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Remembering the flashes in the pan

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is a thread for remembering players who had their 15 minutes of fame and then fizzled out into obscurity again this decade. Murali Vijay had an extended period of being pretty good before he became tailender level bad last year. Used to think Tim Bresnan was pretty good in the early 10s too. Who else can you think of?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was thinking about this question only today whilst listening to Rob Key on the subject of Dominic Sibley - Key is becoming a little irritating after a good start and certainly seems to have forgotten his own travails as a Test batsman, aside from that time he flashed in SCC's lot's pan

SillyCowCorner1

I was thinking about this question only today whilst listening to Rob Key on the subject of Dominic Sibley - Key is becoming a little irritating after a good start and certainly seems to have forgotten his own travails as a Test batsman, aside from that time he flashed in SCC's lot's pan
Oh, that double ton at Lords :thumbdown

OverratedSanity

It offends me that Vijay, having played 60 tests is mentioned in this thread.

Ashton Agar and SoK's test careers will basically only be remembered for one performance,although the O'Keefe probably unlucky not to play more.

trundler

It offends me that Vijay, having played 60 tests is mentioned in this thread.

Ashton Agar and SoK's test careers will basically only be remembered for one performance,although the O'Keefe probably unlucky not to play more.
Yeah but for a brief period he was performing well above his mean output. Of course, I've left the interpretation open to the poster.

Not sure if Ajmal counts. He really was something else as far as LO spinners* go.

vcs

Jayant Yadav? Gonna be hard for him to break his way back into the Indian Test XI, but he'll always have that glorious hundred against England.

Karun Nair. A dip for Rahane or Vihari could see him back though, and he is fairly young.

Bijed

International Regular
Voges?

Gary Ballance scored heavily at the start of his career and looked like our long-term no.3 before declining drastically and seems to have been abandoned now. Mominul Haque's career has sort-of followed the same trajectory although he's presuambly gonig to figure in Bangladesh's plans for a while yet.

Edit: Stoinis in ODIs, I guess

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Callum Ferguson's selection and axing was the most bull**** thing Aust selectors have done to a player that I can recall.

Flem274*

123/5
nathan hauritz was a solid bowler and harshly dropped for a bunch of randoms

as good as he was yesterday i think blundell will struggle against swing bowling in the corridor and he'll move to #6 when bj goes

SillyCowCorner1

Zafar Ansari
Jahirul Islam
Robiul Islam
Tanvir Haider
Elias Sunny
Mohammad Shahid
Mosharraf Hossain
Nasir Hossain*
Rony Talukdar
Shamsur Rahman
Shuvagata Hom
Sohag Gazi
Ziaur Rahman
Taskin Ahmed

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Bob Massie must be worthy of mention. 16 wickets on debut and only another 5 more tests in total.

Hirwani didn't fare too much better after his 16 on debut either.

And Keaton Jennings debut ton looks not so much like a flash in the pan as taking the piss out of his adopted country's test selectors.