• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Real talk: How come Vinod Kambli never played a test after the age of 23?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Tendulkar is the anti-Bradman.

Bradman is beyond comparison, and Tendulkar is always compared with everyone who has played a semi-decent straight drive in his life.

The other day, I was thinking who are the different cricketers compared to Tendulkar over the last 30 years - Sanjay Manjrekar, Mark Waugh, Sourav Ganguly, Sanath Jayasuriya, Aravinda De Silva, Vinod Kambli, Brian Lara, Inzamam-ul Haq, Basit Ali, Graeme Hick, Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardena, Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist, AB De Villiers, Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and the list goes on

The funny thing is that all the above people are compared with Tendulkar; but they are almost never compared among themselves. I mean no one really asks how Aravinda De Silva compares with Matthew Hayden do they?
I can't find anything sensible in this entire post tbh

You think no one compares two batsmen unless one is Tendulkar? And it seems from this post that you are implying Tendulkar is definitively better than all those other players in the same way Bradman is, which is incredibly bizarre.

If you had a point I'll admit that I've missed it as well.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It seems you didn't get my point.
Your initial complaint was about why every thread turns into Tendulkar, where the guy actually grew up with him and was the point of reference. There's plenty of times when it's facetious, but in this case Kambli was always going to be compared to Sachin, and it probably has a lot to do with why his career turned out why it did.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Dravid, Sehwag, Sidhu and Laxman were all much better against spin that either Tendulkar or Kambli.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Dravid, Sehwag, Sidhu and Laxman were all much better against spin that either Tendulkar or Kambli.
Probably Dravid and Sehwag are on the same rung in playing spin as Tendulkar but Sidhu, Laxman or Kambli are not. If that is the case, they will be having better records than Tendulkar in the subcontinent.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Probably Dravid and Sehwag are on the same rung in playing spin as Tendulkar but Sidhu, Laxman or Kambli are not. If that is the case, they will be having better records than Tendulkar in the subcontinent.
Laxman cbf'd unless we were in trouble.

OverratedSanity

Tendulkar and Sehwag were clearly a level above the rest. Sidhu's attacking game was amazing but that's about it.

vcs

Yeah this was exactly the type of situation where Laxman would have ground out a 60-70 in the first innings, putting us in range of their first innings score. :(