• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Real talk: How come Vinod Kambli never played a test after the age of 23?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Kambli once take Warne apart in Sharjah? Vaguely remember that in the early to mid '90s.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
On the other hand when Murali was at his best (post 1996), Kambli was rankly struggling against him, despite being a good players of spin.
And despite having already played his last Test by then as well, must've really struggled against him from outside the ground.

smash84

The Tiger King
And despite having already played his last Test by then as well, must've really struggled against him from outside the ground.
:laugh:

tbf he might be talking about his struggles against Murali in ODIs. I cbf looking it up

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
@Migara..I don't really know what Kambli did against each spinners and also dont know when he scored against these spinners at what point in their careers but it was generally considered that he had a good footwork against spinners and was not pre-meditative and genuinely knew what was coming out of a spinners hand..I am sure a warnaweera here and a Anurasiri there might have cleaned him up but overall as i mentioned he was considered to be a good player of spin..
He is a brilliant player of spin sure. But saying he is better than Tendulkar in that aspect which I don't agree with. SRT had less flair playing spin that Kambli, but SRT played spinners better when they were causing havoc (Ex. Saqlain, Mendis).

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't Kambli once take Warne apart in Sharjah? Vaguely remember that in the early to mid '90s.
Yeah, that was a special assault. Navjot Sidhu was struggling against Warne for a change, and got stumped. Then came Kambli and took Warne to cleaners.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think Tendulkar is the anti-Bradman.

Bradman is beyond comparison, and Tendulkar is always compared with everyone who has played a semi-decent straight drive in his life.

The other day, I was thinking who are the different cricketers compared to Tendulkar over the last 30 years - Sanjay Manjrekar, Mark Waugh, Sourav Ganguly, Sanath Jayasuriya, Aravinda De Silva, Vinod Kambli, Brian Lara, Inzamam-ul Haq, Basit Ali, Graeme Hick, Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardena, Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist, AB De Villiers, Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and the list goes on

The funny thing is that all the above people are compared with Tendulkar; but they are almost never compared among themselves. I mean no one really asks how Aravinda De Silva compares with Matthew Hayden do they?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
How does every thread turn to be about Tendulkar?
I think Tendulkar is the anti-Bradman.

Bradman is beyond comparison, and Tendulkar is always compared with everyone who has played a semi-decent straight drive in his life.

The other day, I was thinking who are the different cricketers compared to Tendulkar over the last 30 years - Sanjay Manjrekar, Mark Waugh, Sourav Ganguly, Sanath Jayasuriya, Aravinda De Silva, Vinod Kambli, Brian Lara, Inzamam-ul Haq, Basit Ali, Graeme Hick, Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Rahul Dravid, Virender Sehwag, Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardena, Matthew Hayden, Adam Gilchrist, AB De Villiers, Kane Williamson, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma and the list goes on

The funny thing is that all the above people are compared with Tendulkar; but they are almost never compared among themselves. I mean no one really asks how Aravinda De Silva compares with Matthew Hayden do they?
Tell me more.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good stuff.

Kambli also played a couple of underrated but very important innings in WC '96 - against WI when India were in danger of throwing it away, and against Zimbabwe when Sachin and the top-order were cheaply dismissed. Shame everyone only remembers him for his crying in the semifinal.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Kambli had attitude issues. Heard he used to knock on Azhar's door at midnight and was not disciplined. Don't know how much of that is true. However, he definitely had a lot of talent. Would be a handy odi player for sure. Would be fine in tests too. Wonder how our test 6 would be post 96 if Kambli hadn't screwed up.

Burner

International Regular
So I assume he's going to make an entrance in the new Azhar movie, preferably with his clothes on.