• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ravi Shastri's top 5 Indian Cricketers of All Time

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Personally think Sehwag merits a spot in the top 5 because pretty much nobody has batted the way he did. His impact transcends numbers IMO. Teams feared him in a way that few other batsmen have been feared.

cnerd123

likes this
I think Gavaskar merits a place for being the first great Indian batsman. If not for Sachin and Dravid he'd be the clear cut GOAT Indian batsman.

Gavaskar
Sachin
Dhoni
Kapil Dev
???

Tough call for the 5th spot between Pataudi, Mankad, Dravid, Kumble, Bedi and Ganguly. There might be a few more older names that are worth a shout too - Lala Amarnath, CK Nayudu, heck you could also make a case for Ranjitsinhji as being one of the great Indian Cricketers (after all, the Ranji Trophi is named after him)

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My top 5:

Tendulkar
Gavaskar
Kapil Dev
Dhoni
Kumble

Their two best batsmen, their best fast bowler, their best keeper and their best spinner.

digiosmosis

Cricket Spectator
Recently read an interview of Mr. Shastri where he has picked his top 5 Indian cricketers of all time. and they are...(according to seniority)

1) Sunil Gavaskar
2) Kapil Dev
3) Sachin Tendulkar
4) MSD
5) Virat Kohli

Mine will have Anil Kumble and Rahul Dravid in that 4th and 5th spot. I have nothing against Kohli but I would like to wait a few more years to see if he has surpassed the wall...and I didn't like that name of MSD there...

What are your thoughts?
You didn't like the name of MSD... But you liked all the 3 World Cups won by him for India.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
A top five Indian pace bowlers would be a far more interesting conversation.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
You are confusing Shashtri with Ganguly.
Lol you have understood neither of the two.

Show me where Ganguly has been narcissistic like Shastri's recent reply to a journalist "It needs a lot of skill. That's why I am here, and you are there." (and that's just one example) Ganguly is a proud man, like most successful cricketers - but he's not a delusional man with bloated ego like our drunkard coach.

Shastri's narcissism is reaching almost Modi-level or Trump-level now. Soon he'll start addressing himself in 3rd person.

Last edited: