• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the current Test teams on the basis of how over/underrated their players are

91Jmay

International Coach
It basically boils down to what perspective you are using. Eng/Ind/SA/Aus/NZ/Pak are all good sides, they just can't hold a candle to most of the number 1 sides of the past and have obvious flaws which causes them to lose test matches/series. However in the main they are all committed to playing exciting cricket + their flaws also makes some very interesting matches to watch.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
It basically boils down to what perspective you are using. Eng/Ind/SA/Aus/NZ/Pak are all good sides, they just can't hold a candle to most of the number 1 sides of the past and have obvious flaws which causes them to lose test matches/series. However in the main they are all committed to playing exciting cricket + their flaws also makes some very interesting matches to watch.
It's a double edged sword. I think the BCs have a better chance than ever of getting the No. 1 ranking at some point over the next two years, but it will be really, really hard to hold onto (see KW's one week at the top of the batting rankings for a premonition).

91Jmay

International Coach
This tour to England is a great chance for them, as they will still have Misbah and YK. Rest of their batting does look a bit flimsy and they need Amir to come back firing.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a double edged sword. I think the BCs have a better chance than ever of getting the No. 1 ranking at some point over the next two years, but it will be really, really hard to hold onto (see KW's one week at the top of the batting rankings for a premonition).
India and Australia are far too strong at home for New Zealand to get anywhere near top spot.

Unless New Zealand morph into Waugh's team in the next couple of years I just don't see you getting enough ranking points.

This isn't a 'lol NZ are crap' post either. I just don't think you understand the rankings.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Its that classic issue, isn't it? With the bowling stocks you have, all you need the batters to do is to post 300-350 often enough and you will win most games.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
India and Australia are far too strong at home for New Zealand to get anywhere near top spot.

Unless New Zealand morph into Waugh's team in the next couple of years I just don't see you getting enough ranking points.

This isn't a 'lol NZ are crap' post either. I just don't think you understand the rankings.
What I'm saying is that it is so close that we only have to fluke a win away in Sri Lanka or something and that might be enough to take us to No. 1 if no-one else wins overseas.

Spark

Global Moderator
What I'm saying is that it is so close that we only have to fluke a win away in Sri Lanka or something and that might be enough to take us to No. 1 if no-one else wins overseas.
You are seriously underestimating just how far NZ is from India and Australia on the rankings. There's actually a reasonable gap, in the context of the logjam which are the current rankings. It'd take really strong away results and India + Aus ****ing up at home, which isn't particularly likely.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Well, we'll see in any case.

The rankings are close enough so that no-one can predict right now who is going to be top in two years' time.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You are seriously underestimating just how far NZ is from India and Australia on the rankings. There's actually a reasonable gap, in the context of the logjam which are the current rankings. It'd take really strong away results and India + Aus ****ing up at home, which isn't particularly likely.

Do India seriously have a reasonable shot of being #1 for the next year and a half then? I remember reading that we hardly play away from the SC the next 18 months or so.

Spark

Global Moderator
Do India seriously have a reasonable shot of being #1 for the next year and a half then? I remember reading that we hardly play away from the SC the next 18 months or so.
I'd say they're in the strongest position if SA don't get back on the wagon. Aus have one or two tricky tours coming up, and a fully fit and firing SA would still be favourites or at least in with a strong shout when they tour next summer.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
The trouble with the BCs is that they've stuffed up some tests in the last few yeats they should have won easily - had they been more ruthless they could be almost no1 by now (rain-affected vs WI in Dunedin; Matt Prior draw vs England at Eden Park; losses at Lords in the last 2 series in England; loss at the Adelaide Oval).

In the next 12 months we also need to WIN series, not just draw them, if we want to get more ranking points. We have Australia at home, South Africa and India away, then Pakistan, Bangladesh and S Africa at home. If Steyn and Philander are still injured we'll have a decent chance in RSA, but India could turn ugly. Watling, Boult and Southee need to return to their best, hopefully Guptill kicks on in test matches and we need a new no 5 as well as deciding what to do with Santner, Neesham and Anderson.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But other teams have won overseas.

England are currently smashing South Africa in their own back yard and won their most recent series in India.
Australia won in South Africa 2 years ago and won their moat recent series in the West Indies, Sri Lanka and New Zealand.
South Africa have just lost their first away series in a decade and have won their most recent rubbers in Australia and England (don't follow enough to know how they've done elsewhere)

New Zealand have a draw in England and 'we drew in the UAE which is better than everyone else who goes there and gets smashed' as your notable recent achievements. Possibly a series win in the West Indies as well. It's good, it's why New Zealand are regarded as one of the better teams around just now, but you're much more than just a spawns series win in Sri Lanka from going top.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd say they're in the strongest position if SA don't get back on the wagon. Aus have one or two tricky tours coming up, and a fully fit and firing SA would still be favourites or at least in with a strong shout when they tour next summer.
It's probably between India and England in the next year. England have Sri Lanka (3) and Pakistan (4) next summer at home then Bangladesh away. There's a decent opportunity for a lot of Test wins and strong ranking points before we rock up in India. In the unlikely event we repeat our 2012 heroics in India then I'd be amazed if England weren't number 1 this time next year.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's probably between India and England in the next year. England have Sri Lanka (3) and Pakistan (4) next summer at home then Bangladesh away. There's a decent opportunity for a lot of Test wins and strong ranking points before we rock up in India. In the unlikely event we repeat our 2012 heroics in India then I'd be amazed if England weren't number 1 this time next year.

If that happens, I would say they would be very deserving #1s, as in not just the rankings but also in the eyes of most fans.

Spark

Global Moderator
That's actually gonna be a pretty great series hey.