• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rate the Australian WC Winning Teams

Which of the Aus WC Winning Sides was the Greatest?

• 1987 - Border's Beasts

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1999 - Waugh's Warriors

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • 2003 - Ponting's Perfectos

Votes: 24 50.0%
  • 2007 - Punter's Prizewinners

Votes: 19 39.6%
  • 2015 - Clarke's Conquerors

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023 - Cumdog Millionaires

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
1987 is just funny. I'm still not sure how not especially good Australia/England teams found themselves in a World Cup Final in India. It's not like the two were dominating World Cricket at the time!!
Oddly, England were quite good at ODIs in 1987. I remember us winning both ODI tournaments that were part of the Ashes tour in 1986/87, and a quick bit of research tells me that we also beat Pakistan in the 1987 home series. After the WC, I think we whitewashed Pakistan 3-0 in the one-dayers that preceded the Gatting-Rana Trophy. About six months later we beat WI 3-0 in the ODIs that preceded the test matches. All of this under Gatting's captaincy. His track record when leading us in ODIs was quite something.

Going back to the 1987 WC, I suppose the WI attack was nullified by the pitches in Pakistan and India. The big turn-ups were the semi-finals, where the two home countries messed up when chasing. My two memories of the India/England semi-final are Gooch's outstanding hundred and Kapil holing out at deep mid-wicket against Hemmings when we thought he'd probably go on and win the match.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oddly, England were quite good at ODIs in 1987. I remember us winning both ODI tournaments that were part of the Ashes tour in 1986/87, and a quick bit of research tells me that we also beat Pakistan in the 1987 home series. After the WC, I think we whitewashed Pakistan 3-0 in the one-dayers that preceded the Gatting-Rana Trophy. About six months later we beat WI 3-0 in the ODIs that preceded the test matches. All of this under Gatting's captaincy. His track record when leading us in ODIs was quite something.

Going back to the 1987 WC, I suppose the WI attack was nullified by the pitches in Pakistan and India. The big turn-ups were the semi-finals, where the two home countries messed up when chasing. My two memories of the India/England semi-final are Gooch's outstanding hundred and Kapil holing out at deep mid-wicket against Hemmings when we thought he'd probably go on and win the match.
I’ve read and heard the Gatting dismissal blamed for England’s failures in ODIs in the subsequent generation. Obviously we were still decent at the WC after that but so bad was the grief he got for that shot that, the theory goes, our bats were conditioned not to play risky shots until 2015

Whether it’s a valid theory, I dunno? KP’s career, more in Tests, was littered with similar outrages that just wouldn’t happen now under Stokes.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

England has played as many finals as India since the WC’s inception. They actually had a good side late 80s-early 90s. Back to back finals

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
England has played as many finals as India since the WC’s inception. They actually had a good side late 80s-early 90s. Back to back finals
I think it was the game moving on that did for us for a generation. We were still decent at home through the 90s because we still carried on with the red ball, whites, etc. Possibly still 60 overs too?

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I think it was the game moving on that did for us for a generation. We were still decent at home through the 90s because we still carried on with the red ball, whites, etc. Possibly still 60 overs too?
Only NZ and Australia had home ODIs with coloured clothing and a white ball pre 1992 afaik.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
There signs of West Indies decline before that tournament; failed to make the final of the Challenge trophy and tri-series (which they'd won on every previous occasion) in Australia 86/87.

Probably was a West Indian side in transition; a great fast bowler in Garner had retired and so had Michael Holding through injury.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Most impressive was clearly 2007... and that was after losing their last 5 ODIs going into the tournament and losing Brett Lee to injury.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And your face, which is inferior to Watson's.

But probably not Lehmann's. If it is though, thoughts and prayers.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Just voted for Cumdog Millionaires, but not bothered in the slightest on this one.

Australians really wildin out here.