• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the great fast bowlers

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Wasim had to contend with Pakistani fielders. His raw numbers were bound to be affected by this.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did Hadlee ever explain that little skip at the start of his run? I've never sen anyone else do that, before or since.

Such a professional.

watson

Banned
Some great footage there
Yes, I was also amused to see the skip at the beginning of Hadlee's run-up again.

Here is an absolute cracker of an over against Ian Botham;

Richard Hadlee vs Ian Botham- supreme swing bowling, what a master! - YouTube

The interesting thing about Hadlee's bowling is his lethal bouncer. I've never noticed it before, but seeing it in action against Australia, the West Indies, and here in the Ian Botham video I would rate it as one of the best in the game.

You can tell that it's a faster ball because it is through the batsman before he can get his feet in the correct position, but there is simply NO change in the action or the amount of effort. Just perfect rythmn.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Tell that to smali who thinks great slip fielding/ fielding is over rated.
It wasn't just the slip fielding. There's also ground fielding. If one conservatively estimates that the Pakistanis conceded an extra boundary for every 20 overs Wasim bowled, that's bumped his bowling average up by 2 right there.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well, you claimed that you don't rate Wasim that high because his record didn't match his talent. I'm just saying there's a reason why the numbers don't tell the whole story.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I mean I certainly rate both Marshall and Imran higher than Wasim but I don't think there's that much between the top five to ten bowlers to be honest - which both Marshall and Wasim belong in my opinion (excluding Barnes because I don't know how to judge him, I'd have McGrath, Marshall, Ambrose, Lillee, Wasim, Imran, Trueman, Hadlee all in the top "league" and I'm probably missing a couple). At that level I don't think anyone is head and shoulders (except McGrath : p) above anyone else.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
but one could say from watching that akram wasn't in the league of marshall, hadlee etc
Let me do my best to clarify, they are all great bowlers, to separate them one has to look into their records to find any distinguishing factors, not a slight, not nitpicking. It's that or to say they are all equal, and unless I have misunderstood, thats not the point of this forum of free and open cricket discussion.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, you claimed that you don't rate Wasim that high because his record didn't match his talent. I'm just saying there's a reason why the numbers don't tell the whole story.
And al Il was saying is tell that to smali as he believes that the value of great fielding is over rated.

smash84

The Tiger King
And al Il was saying is tell that to smali as he believes that the value of great fielding is over rated.
errr no.....my point was that I wasn't so sure that an awesome slip cordon was a pre requisite to a team becoming great.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Its not a pre-requisite, but it has been a feature of all the great modern teams. It makes a difference and I don't see why you can't accept that. A great cordon is a fast bowlers best friend (or Fred Goodall) and would have helped Wasim or any other fast man, or spinner for that matter.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of Hadlee, reading his auto-biography now, interesting read. We all know he rates Lillee the greatest bowler ever and pratically worshipped him, rates Sobers the greatest All-Rounder ever by some margin, rated Imran the best of his era, but didn't rate his captaincy ashe said he "didn't exercise control of his players and isn't an astute skipper", also holds a declaration againts him when Hadlee was going for a 5'fer and 400 wkts. Bllames the West Indies for the lack of good spinners in the era sayng that they "have a lot to answer for" and dislikes their style of bowling as it's not they way the game should be played and asks "when will it end", though apparently didn't know that they just learned from the Aussies and apparently didn't have a problem when Lille and Thompson were doing it.

Importantly he says that he doesn't rate himself a true All Rounder as he couldn't play as a batsman in the top 6 or 7 with only two hundreds and a 92, he says that he was a bowler who could bat a bit.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
He rates Knott as the best keeper he has seen, and goes into how important the cordon (keeper to gully) is to fast bolwers and him in particular, naming the Chappell brothers the best he has seen in the position, and saying that Viv was brillian everywhere.