• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ranking the Batsmen

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
IVA Richards

Averaged 50 in an era which produced dozens of all-time bowlers, and was absolutely dominant when the mood took him (fairly often).

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
2. George Headley

I go for Headley due to him having a batting average of 60.83 and the 2nd best century conversion rate in history (century every 4.0 innings, only behind Bradman who had a century every 2.8 innings)

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
2. Gary Sobers - Very hard to choose a number 2 from so many candidates (Lara, Tendulkar, Viv, Hobbs, etc) bit I'll go with Sobers. He scored a century in every 6.1 innings over a long and consistent career and had a great conversion rate of 50's to 100's. Capable of ammassing huge scores and dominating bowling attacks as shown by his 365*.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Jack Hobbs - the most complete player Bradman ever saw, proved himself over a longer period than almost any other player in history and was considered by contemporaries to be a class above Walter Hammond - thats saying something.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have to say I favour the idea of a 3-2-1 points system for this sort of comp - single votes don't take into account the thoughts of people as to how they rate all except one person.

adharcric

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Have to say I favour the idea of a 3-2-1 points system for this sort of comp - single votes don't take into account the thoughts of people as to how they rate all except one person.
I already discussed that with Jack. Quite simply, it's too annoying that way. The way things are, people still have to put a lot of thought into their choice.
If I was only asking for the #1 batsman of all-time, the 3-2-1 system would definitely be better. :)

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
I'll go with Sachin Tendulkar. Towered above all contemporary batsmen when the great bowling attacks were around. Consistent both at home and away and thats what doe sit for me really; his consistency.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Slifer said:
I'll go with Sachin Tendulkar. Towered above all contemporary batsmen when the great bowling attacks were around.
How exactly did he tower above Brian Lara when the great bowling attacks were around?

R_D

International Debutant
Tendulkar..

Tendulkar doesn't get alot of reconginistion from folks in Eng, SA and Aus etc... alot of them beleive him to be over-rated .. i beleive one of the reasons mght be that while Tendulkar was really good in the 90's.. cricket wasn't shown on tv world wide as it is now and India barely ever played in Eng and Aus. So folks aroudn those parts of the world never really got to see the best of him.
Ind came to Aus after 9 years in 99 and don't think they played too many series in Eng either.
What does everyone think ? possible

aussie tragic

International Captain
So, Tendulkar has 4 votes in a row to hit the lead.

Nothing against him, but I hope this doen't turn into a "new generation" is better thread as I'd consider the following "oldies" to be pretty hard to go past in filling up the top 10:

Headley, Sutcliffe, Pollock, Weekes, Barrington, Hammond, Walcott, Hobbs, Sobers & Hutton

Dravid

International Captain
aussie tragic said:
So, Tendulkar has 4 votes in a row to hit the lead.

Nothing against him, but I hope this doen't turn into a "new generation" is better thread as I'd consider the following "oldies" to be pretty hard to go past in filling up the top 10:

Headley, Sutcliffe, Pollock, Weekes, Barrington, Hammond, Walcott, Hobbs, Sobers & Hutton
Sachin has been playing since 89, he really isn't the "new generation". He's just been playing for a long time.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
2.Viv Richards - Dominated all those who dared bowl to the great man, no mean feat considering, as Vimes said, he played in an era which produced quiet a few "great" quicks.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Going to buck the trend and go with Brian Lara here. Easily on par with Tendulkar during the period of better bowling attacks/tougher batting conditions. And since then Tendulkar has slumped considerably more than Lara.