• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Mahela Jayawardene, Inzy, Chanderpaul and Mo-Yo

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Chanderpaul would rate far higher had he been playing in a stronger/winning team. There may have been an element of selfishness and a lack of charisma but I'd rank him marginally ahead if Inzamam with Jayawardene and Yousuf in the same echelon of very good players.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Are all of these behind Dravid? I find Dravid really hard to rate - does he really belong to the Ponting/Kallis/Sanga group? It feels like he was slightly below them.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid's a tough one to rank, his record against the very best teams was very questionable (although I'd argue it isn't significantly worse than Sanga's and Kallis') but an overall amazing overseas record with lots of innings in tough conditions. I rate Sanga and Ponting ahead for sure, maybe Kallis too, but he's better than the others imo . You could easily rank him much lower based on his record vs SA and Aus though and I readily admit my bias for him because of how elegant I found his batting despite being so defensive.

Depends on how much you weigh certain factors. His complete dominance of English conditions (not just runs in England as a whole, but his innings in games where there was loads of lateral movement like his headingley innings in 02) a big plus in his favour, his meh record in bouncer conditions a significant hole in his record.

His weird cultish following of Indian fans who insist he was better than sachin also obnoxious enough to be a negative here.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was a more consistent performer against the two best bowling sides of their careers, but this is probably a topic for another thread.
Sanga barely played australia and it wasn't like he massively outperformed dravid. Averaged 44 to Dravid's 39. Much better vs SA. But then he was pretty meh vs England and dravid was way better, so...

I'd say Sanga was better because he had an extra gear and simply didn't have any terrible patches like dravid did in 2006-08.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Quite frankly, this business about Inzi > Chanders or vice-versa is neither here nor there. They're all in the same tier.
What matters more is what they will be remembered for.
Inzi - for match winning centuries. Plus comedic performances
Chanders - for his batting style, selfishness, 1 fast century vs Aus
MoYo - Golden year 2006, elegance
Jaya - huge 374, captaincy

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanga barely played australia and it wasn't like he massively outperformed dravid. Averaged 44 to Dravid's 39. Much better vs SA. But then he was pretty meh vs England and dravid was way better, so...

I'd say Sanga was better because he had an extra gear and simply didn't have any terrible patches like dravid did in 2006-08.
Except he did and we discount it because he was also a wicketkeeper during that time

shortpitched713

International Captain
Chanderpaul > Inzi > Yousuf > Jayawardene .

Gun the lot of them, but I think Chanderpaul's record stands out the most out of them all. The other 3 are extremely close in my eyes, and it would depend on individual preference of taste and flavor which you like.