• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Spark

Global Moderator
Also, like, we fixed the "cricket chat was all player x vs player y" problem. It's disingenuous to pretend that we should ignore G. S. Kohli making the forum "unreadable" in the eyes of quite a few dedicated posters here because we were turning a blind eye to the infestation of player comparison threads, because we weren't.

I think this discussion has been had in detail in the Emerging Cricket thread before. Probably a good place to restart it if anyone feels strongly enough.

But yes back on topic - #FreeGSKohli

Surely it's about time we introduce ****blocking posters from certain threads / banning them from making new ones? There's been at least a dozen occasions in the last couple of years where these would have been appropriate solutions. Is it really just the forum tech making it not possible, or does it require a level of time/financial investment that the Mods/Admins don't have?
Blocking posters from creating threads is an admin power, not a mod one. If we banned GSK from certain threads all that would happen is that he would make duplicates of that thread.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Also, like, we fixed the "cricket chat was all player x vs player y" problem. It's disingenuous to pretend that we should ignore G. S. Kohli making the forum "unreadable" in the eyes of quite a few dedicated posters here because we were turning a blind eye to the infestation of player comparison threads, because we weren't.

Blocking posters from creating threads is an admin power, not a mod one. If we banned GSK from certain threads all that would happen is that he would make duplicates of that thread.
He does that even when he isn't blocked from threads if other people start them.

Shady Slim

International Coach
As I said a few days before he got his ban, people will absolutely complain either way:

We can't alter his behaviour. It's either let him flagrantly and repeatedly ignore instructions, or ban him. My approach has typically been the former while Spark's has been the latter, but there's no perfect solution here. When we don't ban him, people who actually use the threads he posts in get infuriated by the relentless copy/pasting of scorecards, articles and results.

You probably haven't noticed as much because Australia haven't been playing and you don't post a lot in the other threads, but it's a nightmare. Putting him on ignore isn't an option either because he creates so many of the threads that it means you miss them all if you do that.

Eventually it got to a point where our inclination to allow him to enjoy the forum as long as he wasn't being malicious was just affecting everyone else's ability to do the same to too big a degree.
nah even in the threads i don't post in i do generally read - though i haven't been commenting intently on, like, the nz against pak series i've followed it through here - but if i see a gsklongpost that i'm not particularly minded to read i just scroll by the post

obviously i'm not downplaying you guys experience - i have to take you at your word - but imho for general poasters, "just scroll by the post" is where i would stand. everyone different though and like you rightly point out it's a lose-lose for y'all given there's ossified camps on both sides

Shady Slim

International Coach
yo hold on i was happy to leave it at my last post but this is decidedly not what i said

the having to fix the tour threads sure i get that, but he wasn’t making other threads after the first ban at such a vociferous and offensive rate that the forum was being clogged to the extent of say, during when all of cricket chat was x player vs y to my mind
my point is that the player x vs player y threads were fixed, yes exactly, yes! whereas to my mind this current "problem" isn't something that requires this sort of "fixing". never did i accuse you of turning a blind eye to the infestation of player comparison threads and that's plain here!

edit:

everything i say here isn't important, of course, but i have to have the last word because i'm a stubborn moron

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we have to believe the man, he is at age 65+ or something. Can just give him the one love of his life, i.e creating cricket threads. He is not trolling or instigating anyone, so can just ignore his posts if one wishes so.
You cannot ignore his posts without half the cricket threads disappearing FFS. The guy nearly drained me of my love for associate cricket with his contentless domination of that thread.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking about the Ignore button reminded me of subshakerz. Has he stopped posting or has he been permabanned?