• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Speaking of quotes in signatures, there is almost nothing more pathetically tryhard than having quotes in your own sig from others praising you. Not strictly relevant to anything, just thought I would put it out there

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd rather just merge back N+P into OT at some stage. I was once all for it, but I'm less convinced that the subforum is necessary with each passing day.
I have trouble reconciling the existence of the thing with the community expectations that we ban bigots and nationalists. "Here's a forum to post about your political views, but if you post these ones then you're banned" rubs me wrong as a concept.

I'd be more comfortable just saying "we're not a politics forum, we're a cricket forum with a diverse member base and value people feeling safe knowing they won't be vilified based on their inherent characteristics or identity over free and open fringe political discussions" given that's what members seem to want, but I struggle to reconcile it with having a politics forum. If you're gonna have one you shouldn't really ban people for posting their **** opinions in it. Having politics threads but not a forum would make it feel less contradictory to me.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I have trouble reconciling the existence of the thing with the community expectations that we ban bigots and nationalists. "Here's a forum to post about your political views, but if you post these ones then you're banned" rubs me wrong as a concept.

I'd be more comfortable just saying "we're not a politics forum, we're a cricket forum with a diverse member base and value people feeling safe knowing they won't be vilified based on their inherent characteristics or identity over free and open fringe political discussions" given that's what members seem to want, but I struggle to reconcile it with having a politics forum. If you're gonna have one you shouldn't really ban people for posting their **** opinions in it. Having politics threads but not a forum would make it feel less contradictory to me.
no one's banning people for having a different opinion tho

these pricks weren't banned or asked to **** off because the disagreement was about a 5% tax cut vs a 10% tax cut

racist **** = pile on

and that is fine

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
People are going to talk about it whether we have a forum for it or not. Better to separate it and keep it from flowing into unrelated threads. I don't go in there because I'm not particularly interested in reading the political opinions of people I have very little respect for - and if the forum isn't there you bet I'll be reading them in random threads in Off Topic within the week.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

People are going to talk about it whether we have a forum for it or not. Better to separate it and keep it from flowing into unrelated threads. I don't go in there because I'm not particularly interested in reading the political opinions of people I have very little respect for - and if the forum isn't there you bet I'll be reading them in random threads in Off Topic within the week.
The issue is that a lot of that flows into other threads, whether we like it or not. While the specific cases of SS and weldone (and perhaps before that, Robbie and Watson, if they were different people) etc. does show issues from their side (and I agree with almost all the mod decisions on those), the pile on and bullying culture here is very evident and that is what Jimmy101 has pointed out. I can tell you he was one of the posters who reached out to me when I stopped posting here for a while for the exact same reasons. So its not like he only speaks up when posters like Robbie or SS are banned. That is such a ****ty way to look at it and shows the exact cliquey bullying nature that has become a fabric of CW, whether we like it or not.

To me, calling out someone on their political leanings is fine but CW is just another online place where we have many whom, I suspect, won't care much for another person in real life, leave alone helping them, but will say a lot of stuff to be "famous" and get "likes" etc. I have no doubt guys like Shady Slim means well and the example he quoted of L&L was a good one, but we have evidence in this very thread that L&L felt the same way that others have been pointing out here.

Any rational discussion or discourse cannot happen when you get people who are so firmly entrenched in their opinions of right and wrong that everything boils down to "I know better than you", which is exactly how the discussion in that Indian Politics thread went down. It is funny how often we speak of the "political spectrum" and yet so much of this forum believes in having to categorize/pigeon hole everyone when it comes to politics. A little humility in realizing that you don't become an expert on anything by reading the wikipedia page on the topic will be helpful.

Sadly, I believe we are way past it, not just at CW, but everywhere. I am constantly amazed and dismayed by how many in my workplace think they know everything about something because they read the wiki page on it. We live in a world where opinions are used to inflate egos and then it leads to its own vicious cycle. The world is not gonna stop just because you don't share your opinion on something, and yet, its what entire online population thinks these days.

EDIT: When I said "So much of this forum" I should point I mean it is among the people who post most frequently and everywhere in CW. Not taking the forum as a whole.

Should also point out, I feel the British Politics thread in the time I have followed it from last year, has been an excellent one and an example of good-faith rational discussion and debate on politics and policy without the idea of having to pigeonhole every poster there as either a Nazi or a leftie etc.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no one's banning people for having a different opinion tho

these pricks weren't banned or asked to **** off because the disagreement was about a 5% tax cut vs a 10% tax cut

racist **** = pile on

and that is fine
Correct. And tbf if people want to get their knickers in a twist defending those types, they can **** off too.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any rational discussion or discourse cannot happen when you get people who are so firmly entrenched in their opinions of right and wrong that everything boils down to "I know better than you", which is exactly how the discussion in that Indian Politics thread went down. It is funny how often we speak of the "political spectrum" and yet so much of this forum believes in having to categorize/pigeon hole everyone when it comes to politics. A little humility in realizing that you don't become an expert on anything by reading the wikipedia page on the topic will be helpful.
I don't really agree with this. Politics, like almost every other topic, contains people with different levels of knowledge. I post about politics because I know quite a lot about it and am actively involved in it. For similar reasons I don't post in football threads. Not all politics is some abstract thing that people don't know the answers to, I can (and did) give multiple reasons why Narendra Modi is a fascist for example. By the same token I don't think I ever commented on the farmers thing because I barely know what's going on there.

The problem I have is when you get people who don't have so much knowledge Kramering into threads then getting mad when you point out they're wrong. Take weldone, the self-proclaimed Most Leftist Forums Poster, but still doesn't understand why his favourite politician's pet policy idea is stupid and nowhere close to left-wing, or how working in the most capitalist of industries makes him the literal enemy of the left. In this case I actually do know better than him. He's arguably closer to me politically than most others on the forum, but he talks way too much **** for the level of understanding he has. Conversely, I don't like Spark's incremental pragmatism, PEWS' libertarianism or Niall's fetish for 50-year-old Republican women, but they're well-versed enough to have thought about their ideologies.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't really agree with this. Politics, like almost every other topic, contains people with different levels of knowledge. I post about politics because I know quite a lot about it and am actively involved in it. For similar reasons I don't post in football threads. Not all politics is some abstract thing that people don't know the answers to, I can (and did) give multiple reasons why Narendra Modi is a fascist for example. By the same token I don't think I ever commented on the farmers thing because I barely know what's going on there.

The problem I have is when you get people who don't have so much knowledge Kramering into threads then getting mad when you point out they're wrong. Take weldone, the self-proclaimed Most Leftist Forums Poster, but still doesn't understand why his favourite politician's pet policy idea is stupid and nowhere close to left-wing, or how working in the most capitalist of industries makes him the literal enemy of the left. In this case I actually do know better than him. He's arguably closer to me politically than most others on the forum, but he talks way too much **** for the level of understanding he has. Conversely, I don't like Spark's incremental pragmatism, PEWS' libertarianism or Niall's fetish for 50-year-old Republican women, but they're well-versed enough to have thought about their ideologies.
You are missing the point. Even if you do know better than someone, basically posting "I know better than you" is the worst way of trying to educate anyone on anything. And I am not taking particular examples here. You may be more knowledgeable in a certain area than someone else, but you don't really know the relativity of it, do you, unless you know someone really really well, which is very tough online, as much as we are all friends here.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I don't do that though I just point out they're wrong in various ways.
Yeah, and as long as it is a discussion it is fine but irrespective who initiaties the downward spiral, they are all usually going down very fast, which is where the humility part comes in. Your experiences are not the same as another person.

BTW, I am not saying opinions like Robbie's or Senile Sentry's are ok. They are racist **** that should not be allowed and the mods did take the right action on it. I m talking about the rest of the discussions there, and how the judgement based on that carries on elsewhere in CW.

And I m really not criticizing the existence of the sub-forum, btw. In many ways, it is good it exists as a sub-forum coz it limits the discussions to that area and people can sit it out if they choose to, like I did with OT for over 15 years.

Victor Ian

International Coach
These guys weren't 'bullied' for opinions. They were 'bullied' for a disruptive style where they don't know when to drop it.
We've all watched the cringe that happens when a poster feels slighted because others won't agree with them, or are more friendly with someone else, or just read something that got them triggered.

Unfortunately some people are like this.

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, and as long as it is a discussion it is fine but irrespective who initiaties the downward spiral, they are all usually going down very fast, which is where the humility part comes in. Your experiences are not the same as another person.
I dunno man, it sounds like your ideal vision of a politics forum is where all sides have a rational debate where we can critically discuss equally valid perspectives and educate ourselves without any ill-will. I just don't think it's going to happen on any website.