• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
100% this had this argument with the mods many years ago when told that me and Burgey flaming each other was giving the wrong impression to new members, because they didn't know we were joking*. Well surely some onus is on the new guy.

Reminds me of an imbecile who worked with my mate for a bit. He took the 'act like you've known everyone for years' approach, reaching the nadir when at a staff party he met someone for the first time and rather than saying 'Hi I'm [Jack] pleased to meet you' said 'Alright [Ross], bet you're on the Gary's aren't you?'

I won't spell out what Gary's are, it's scouse dialect and easy enough to look up. Suffice to say it didn't go Dow well whereas because I had known Ross for years, had I been invited to this party for some reason and said the same thing it would have been met with a laugh. Human nature and all all that.

Not to say we shouldn't make newcomers feel welcome but you do have to take personal responsibility for getting a feel for the place.

*NB I wasn't joking anyway, Burgey is a ****
Classic Cozza

nick-o

State 12th Man
100% this had this argument with the mods many years ago when told that me and Burgey flaming each other was giving the wrong impression to new members, because they didn't know we were joking*. Well surely some onus is on the new guy.

Reminds me of an imbecile who worked with my mate for a bit. He took the 'act like you've known everyone for years' approach, reaching the nadir when at a staff party he met someone for the first time and rather than saying 'Hi I'm [Jack] pleased to meet you' said 'Alright [Ross], bet you're on the Gary's aren't you?'

I won't spell out what Gary's are, it's scouse dialect and easy enough to look up. Suffice to say it didn't go Dow well whereas because I had known Ross for years, had I been invited to this party for some reason and said the same thing it would have been met with a laugh. Human nature and all all that.

Not to say we shouldn't make newcomers feel welcome but you do have to take personal responsibility for getting a feel for the place.

*NB I wasn't joking anyway, Burgey is a ****
Which is the better metaphor to describe a new member here?

A new employee joining the workforce in a company;
A new kid transferring into a school mid-term; or
A new inmate in a prison, fighting for a place in the established pecking order?

Flem274*

123/5
i would like to address the allegations posted against me last night by saying you can be both a sad boi who argues on cw at 2am because he has no regular relations and an internet media personality who caters to people viewing literature websites for their very niche, very specific interest.

i will also say having both regular relations and being an internet media personality does not prevent one from arguing on cw at 2am, but perhaps could be looked back on as a strange decision to make given the alternative options at the time.

i plead the gnske defence.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i would like to address the allegations posted against me last night by saying you can be both a sad boi who argues on cw at 2am because he has no regular relations and an internet media personality who caters to people viewing literature websites for their very niche, very specific interest.

i will also say having both regular relations and being an internet media personality does not prevent one from arguing on cw at 2am, but perhaps could be looked back on as a strange decision to make given the alternative options at the time.

i plead the gnske defence.
thats not even a defence, that's an offence and the best offence is actually an adaptive posture where you can both recoil into defence and offence at the same time.

and lets face it, none of us have time on our side.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dedicated subbies generate more discussion whilst at the same time preventing it from leaking where it's not wanted. Getting rid would be a bad move IMO.
Additionally, the more 'peripheral' threads that subforums bring can be interesting and calm in a way that big ongoing politics threads aren't, which I never read and are where most of the grimy stuff gets posted. For example someone posted a short, disinterested thread on 'utilitarianism' the other day which I read and felt like I learned something. That sort of thing wouldn't exist without a subforum, whereas the car crash that happened in India Politics Thread recently certainly still would.