• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter Finals

Molehill

International Captain
The fun bit is England and Wales being ranked as top seeds again when they do the 2027 draw because they made the semis while Scotland are ranked as a 3rd seed again for going out in the group stage
Is that definitely how they do it and not on world ranking at the time of the draw?

ripper868

International Coach
No real way of knowing what the draw will be, every chance it just gets ringfenced for the top 4 teams (Ireland, France, NZ, RSA) and do away with the rest of the teams as there is no point them attending. Round Robin (so 3 weeks pool phase) into Semis (1v4, 2v3) into Final (winners of semi) and the esteemed 3rd place play-off (losers of semi) - 5 week long tournament, all quality, all the time, no minnows to be bashed, no time wasted.

;)
Edit: or, add an extra week by making the semi's 1v2, 3v4, winner 1v2 straight to final, loser 3v4 goes out, winner 3v4 plays loser 1v2 for place in final.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Is that definitely how they do it and not on world ranking at the time of the draw?
They do it on world ranking at the time of the draw, but world cup games count for more in the rankings and last time they did it less than a year after the end of the world cup.

Molehill

International Captain
They do it on world ranking at the time of the draw, but world cup games count for more in the rankings and last time they did it less than a year after the end of the world cup.
Such is the gap between the top 4 and the rest that I think either Wales or England would need to make the Final to have any hope of overtaking NZ in 4th.

Fiji's loss to Portugal has impacted how many points England can pick up by beating them. But both them and Wales will overtake Scotland with wins (and likely drop back below them when they lose a semi).

James

Cricket Web Owner
And the All Blacks, while without a current demi-god (see McCaw/Carter), are still damned good.
I think you'd find most All Blacks fans would say this is one of the weakest teams of the professional era. Usually you'd have 6+ All Blacks in a World 15, but now, I'd say probably only 1 makes it.

I hope they beat Ireland on the weekend, but my head says Ireland by 13+.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
TBF three of yer Micks' clutch players are dyed-in-the-wool NZders, so things can't be that bad for you chaps, cattle wise.

Flem274*

123/5
TBF three of yer Micks' clutch players are dyed-in-the-wool NZders, so things can't be that bad for you chaps, cattle wise.
The talent is always there to be top 2, but not always the refinement.

Because I agree, Ireland took some very middling Super Rugby players and made them world class.