• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Quarter Finals

Molehill

International Captain
These look pretty much set in stone and will be played in the following order:

Sat Oct 14th:
Wales v Argentina
Ireland v New Zealand

Sun Oct 15th:
England v Fiji
France v S Africa

Perhaps the only potential change to that would be if Japan beat Argentina, but doesn't look likely. At the moment, you would think that N Hemisphere sides start as strong favourites in 3 of them with just the final game looking even (especially if Dupont is out).

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Argentina have looked pretty average but they have two matches to go until the quarters with a good hit out against Japan to come. I’m hoping they’ll really take it to Wales as this is a great opportunity for them to reach the semis

Ali TT

International Regular
Argentina have looked pretty average but they have two matches to go until the quarters with a good hit out against Japan to come. I’m hoping they’ll really take it to Wales as this is a great opportunity for them to reach the semis
Tbf Argentina are coached by a guy Eddie Jones used to out smart every time England and Australia faced off during their respective tenures, so not holding out much hope for them

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf Argentina are coached by a guy Eddie Jones used to out smart every time England and Australia faced off during their respective tenures, so not holding out much hope for them
Losing to England as a wallaby is normal though

Molehill

International Captain
He's not exactly covered himself in glory at Argentina either. Getting thrashed by a 14 man England team in dreadful form really takes some doing.

I'm starting to think Japan have a chance.....

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah...but they also beat the All Blacks in New Zealand under Cheika and ran SA very close in the rugby championship this year. Not quite the Pakistan of world rugby, but very much one of those teams who oscillate wildly between being extremely competitive and just awful. I think getting knocked out in the QF's is the most probable outcome for them. But it wouldn't be a horrendous shock if they made the final or if they were tipped out by Japan this weekend. Who knows.

Molehill

International Captain
Worth noting that NZ play their final group game on Thursday, a little stroll against Uruguay. Meanwhile, Ireland will be effectively playing a last 16 knockout game against the Scottish on Saturday evening. It's fair to say that the fixtures have certainly done NZ a favour leading into the QF's.

Molehill

International Captain
Alternatively, Ireland will have a decent hitout before the QFs while NZ won't have played a decent game for a month (which they lost).
Fair point. Really thought Italy would offer more of a challenge, they couldn't really have offered less.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Worth noting that NZ play their final group game on Thursday, a little stroll against Uruguay. Meanwhile, Ireland will be effectively playing a last 16 knockout game against the Scottish on Saturday evening. It's fair to say that the fixtures have certainly done NZ a favour leading into the QF's.
I thought I'd replied to this, I'd much rather be in Ireland or Scotland's position and be battle hardened going into a game against New Zealand rather than in the All Black's position where they lost to France (which feels like it was months ago) and have had 3 blow out wins.

Molehill

International Captain
I thought I'd replied to this, I'd much rather be in Ireland or Scotland's position and be battle hardened going into a game against New Zealand rather than in the All Black's position where they lost to France (which feels like it was months ago) and have had 3 blow out wins.
In the last World Cup, England played Australia, NZ and SA in consecutive weeks, and that was after the final group game against France was cancelled. It just felt to me that they almost had nothing left come the Final. SA lost to NZ in their opening game (similar to NZ's path this time), but then had a largely easy route through to the semi (Japan in QF) and were definitely fresher for the Final.

To win this World Cup, Ireland will most likely need to beat Scotland, NZ, an improving and fresher Wales, and France/SA in consecutive weeks. The more I look at this, the tougher it gets for them. They may well be able to win 3, I think the 4th might be pushing it.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Italy not the best but could say nz made that an easier game than it could of been by playing so well. They were incredible I thought

Molehill

International Captain
Italy not the best but could say nz made that an easier game than it could of been by playing so well. They were incredible I thought
If you allow NZ quick ball and then repeatedly miss tackles, they will of course kill you. I suspect the Irish may not be quite as generous.....

Niall

International Coach
In the last World Cup, England played Australia, NZ and SA in consecutive weeks, and that was after the final group game against France was cancelled. It just felt to me that they almost had nothing left come the Final. SA lost to NZ in their opening game (similar to NZ's path this time), but then had a largely easy route through to the semi (Japan in QF) and were definitely fresher for the Final.

To win this World Cup, Ireland will most likely need to beat Scotland, NZ, an improving and fresher Wales, and France/SA in consecutive weeks. The more I look at this, the tougher it gets for them. They may well be able to win 3, I think the 4th might be pushing it.
The two week break for Ireland is crucial tbf. Its a 50/50 match against New Zealand but if they win that they shouldn't have much issues with Wales/Argentina/Japan. Obviously Wales are showing signs of life but their level would have to drop massively to lose to either of those 3.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’d rather be NZ for sure, having France as our last group game caused us huge problems in 2015. It would be closer if both final group games were on the same day, but the extra 2 days to recover and prepare can be really important.

Ali TT

International Regular
This is the best Irish side in history and, from what I saw v France, the worst AB side at a WC. Always respect your opponent, but Ireland should be, and feel like, the strong favourites going into a QF

Niall

International Coach
I’d rather be NZ for sure, having France as our last group game caused us huge problems in 2015. It would be closer if both final group games were on the same day, but the extra 2 days to recover and prepare can be really important.
Decimated for the quarter final v Argentina, I actually think ireland were betting outsiders for that game or at least it was close.

Regarding the quarter final its a huge hoodoo for them and obviously playing a clutch world cup team in NZ...