• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Predictions on the future of cricket

Langeveldt said:
Give it 25 years

1) The splitting of the ICC into a Subcontinental and a World board
Hopefully NOT

4) The abolition of the five day test match, and the prominance of Twenty20, including a highly succesful few world cups. All won by Australia
Test cricket will never be abolished.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Day-night Test matches? Would require a change of ball colour from red during the day to white during the night though. Possibly a new ball after 60 overs? Would really bring bowlers into the game. I can see something along those lines happening, but not my exact idea.

Deja moo

International Captain
Langeveldt said:
Give it 25 years

1) The splitting of the ICC into a Subcontinental and a World board

Hopefully not . If it does happen, Aus, Eng and NZ will be the only sides playing under the auspices of the old ICC. The newer teams will obviously play for the richer new ICC.

3) Complete dominance by Australia, New Zealand and England.

Well, dominance in a group of 3.....

Kenyan cricket disappears ftotally from the map, and are replaced by a talented and cash happy Chinese side.
who obviously play under the new ICC body

4) The abolition of the five day test match,

unlikely

and the prominance of Twenty20, including a highly succesful few world cups. All won by Australia

well, if Eng and NZ are the only two teams playing Aus in the old ICC WC

5) The abolition of the traditional round armed bowling action, in favour for a run to the crease and javelin throw towards the stumps..

good point. Depends on which ICC the USA joins

Last edited:

Camel56

Banned
Tom Halsey said:
Day-night Test matches? Would require a change of ball colour from red during the day to white during the night though. Possibly a new ball after 60 overs? Would really bring bowlers into the game. I can see something along those lines happening, but not my exact idea.
If the experience in australia of day night sheffield shield matches is anything to go by, they wont be a success and will be scrapped fairly quickly. They would probably work in India but not anywhere else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
20 years in the modern World - impossible to predict.
Who would have guessed the happenings in 20 years time on September 10th, 1981? My guess is precisely no-one.
Indeed, the same thing applies to the same date 20 years later.
Things can change way, way too fast for any predictions of anything like this sort of time-period.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
In 10 years time:

Bangladesh assuming the #1 ranking in the ICC Test Rankings.

The Chinese breeding a steady supply of left-arm wrist spinners.

England succumbing to titanic pressure applied by Kenya in the World Cup Final, and going down by 243 runs.

New Zealand stunning the world with a huge pace battery and swashbuckling openers.

Australia plummeting to #8 in the ICC rankings, and gruff, dour skipper Clarke rescuing them time and again.

How did these paint fumes get in here?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Twenty years on I see a second cricket revolution to emerge for sure. A cricket league in the format of the Nba is an idea waitign to be exploited. It would mean great players from various teams play in a single team. I dont know how it will happen but it should emerge.

Test cricket will remain though its lovers, the true lovers of cricket, will become lesser if we allow test cricekt to be misues the way it is with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe.

Twenty twenty will come and go within the period.

Bangladesh will become a competitive nation. The love for the game there means they should become competitive at some stage.

Nepal will also get test status along with Namibia and 3-4 other countries.

Cricket will start getting appreciated far more around the world despite it being a long game because of the beauty of the sport!

Loony BoB

International Captain
Two tier system introduced. Scotland, China and the U.S. to join OD and possibly test ranks. 20/20 cricket world cups. Bangladesh likely to lose test status while Zimbabwe doesn't - unless the ICC has a pretty big change in attitude. Aussie to continue to dominate, Pakistan, India and England will be right up there, although England may not last as long. SA to go down the ranks. Windies, NZ, Aussie and one team from the subcontinent to dominate 20/20. Fleming to become coach or manager/executive for NZ Black Caps.

telsor

U19 12th Man
I'm with Richard in that you can't predict 20 years off....but.

In the next few years, Aus will fall back to the 'pack' ( mostly due to the retirement of McGrath and Warne ). They will remain strong however due to the good system they have in place.

Zim and Bang will continue to fail, but wont be dropped for ICC political reasons.

Technology to 'help' the umpires will take a bigger and bigger part of the game.

Test matches will get more and more draws as daily over rates drop ( due to all the replays needed to check the umpires ). ODIs will drop to 45 overs/side.

Umpiring standards will drop as fewer people go into umpiring because of the abuse they'll get at stanards below those which provide replays. ( the logic will go..test umpires wont give an LBW without checking the replay, therefore there is doubt, therefore the batsman should get the benefit of the doubt and thus, no LBWs should be given. )

Bowling actions will get worse and worse, and whenever any of them look the break the rules, the rules will be loosened.

The ICC 10 year test plan will fall apart as some countries find it 'impossible' to schedule a tour of Zim, and less frequently, Bang. Of course, these countries will still find time to play more popular countries on a regular basis.

A team will bat first against Zim/Ban and bat for 5 days. Zim/Ban will claim this as a success, because they didn't loose.

ICC will fall apart...Countries will revert to the pre-ICC days of each country administering itself, and touring teams having to adapt to the rules used in the host country. Rules ( or at least their interpretations ), will start varying more and more. Tours will be arranged on an 'ad-hoc' basis, and 'test status' will be meaningless...You will be test status if other countries are willing to play tests against you.

Langeveldt

Soutie
^^^ well lets hope for crickets sake that the ICC falls apart.. However I can't see this helping the developing nations

Link

State Vice-Captain
im about to let every 1 on a little secret.
Scott Newman will dominate Englands opening patnership.
Michael Lumb will dominate Englands middle order, along with Pieterson.
And Shaun Tait will be feared by almost every batsmen.
Well maybe. :cool:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Tom Halsey said:

60 over new ball would advantage quicks but not spinnerss

day night FC matches were trialled here a few years back, was pretty good, dunno what happened though...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
BoyBrumby said:
The grinding poverty of much of India notwithstanding, they still have about 300 million people living in conditions broadly akin to those of the first world. Thats a huge potential player base.

But, as Neil points out (it's a Geography degree, right?!? :D ) there are other factors. There's a sports science thesis waiting to be written on why Muslims make better fast bowlers than Hindus or Sikhs for a start!
I it's not a religious divide - it's more ethnicity/inherited genetics along the same lines as why Kenyans and Ethiopians are so much better at distance running that everyone else.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Australia lose narrowly in a tight test and one day series to the upcoming China/afganistan team

Zimbawbae *spelling* has been kicked out and is in the the two tier system
Bangledesh have over taken west indies

evanier

Cricket Spectator
Cricket 20 years from now

In 20 years time most wickets will probably be synthetic. Except maybe for Lords, just like Wimbledon is one of the few grass tennis venues left in the world. Eventually the world will get fed up with sun-standard pitches and countries preparing pitches for their own strength. The only way to create a level playing field is to play on synthetic pitches. Especially as the shorter game 20-20 rather than 50-50 (or the dying 5-day game), will rise in prominence, with sponsors and players demands becoming greater each year.
Leather balls will by then also be relegated to history (as it did with hockey). Further development of synthetics will eventually come across a suitable material for use in cricket. A ball which has similar characteristics as leather, can retain shine and shape and most of all colour, will surely have to become the ball of choice. ......
As always: money speaks, so the richer cricket nations will stay at the top and the poorer will fade into oblivion. Australia will probably still be at the top without a huge amount of competition. I don't know that that is good for the game though, I'd love to see the lower ranked test nations improve and the minnows develop the game to create wider interest. Sponsors would be very happy about that and it would fuel further development. Wouldn't it be nice if Richard Branson, Bill Gates and Kerry Packer would get their heads (and wallets) together.
Oh, if I only had a crystal ball.

C_C

International Captain
I it's not a religious divide - it's more ethnicity/inherited genetics along the same lines as why Kenyans and Ethiopians are so much better at distance running that everyone else.
the ability of the kenyans and ethiopians to run long distances far better than the rest of the world is conditioning and not geneics.
ALL the famous long distance runners from ethiopia and kenya come from the highlands region where they lead/led a hunter-gatherer lifestyle at an altitude of 5000-6000 feet.
If you run around for the better part of the day since a lil kid pretty much everyday at a rarified air level, you will blow the competition apart...simply because you are used to the rarified air and your lung capacity has adapted to that...and when you go run in the olympics at sea level, where oxygen supply is more plentiful, it makes life a LOT easier.
Its the quintessential case of a grade 12 student finding grade 11 math problems far easier than the grade 11 dude....when you've trained a far higher level, the 'lower level' of international sport makes it easier on you.
Another dominant distance runner, Hisham El-Garrouj of Morocco grew up as a shepherd in the Atlas mountains.

India hasnt produced any genuine fast bowler apart from Srinath ( who was 90mph plus till his shoulder died) because the impetus in IND is solely on line and length.
And IND had no culture of fast bowlers till Kapil Dev revived it with his stardom in the mid 80s.

C_C

International Captain
I dont see why people are so inclined to kick bangladesh outta cricketing circles.
how long did it take RSA to become competitive ? Answer- almost 40 years- started in the 1910s(i believe-may be wrong) and wasnt a competitive unit till 1950s
How long did NZ take to win its first ever match ? Answer: 20+ years since introuduction to cricket.
And considering that NZ has been pretty poor except for a cumulative 10-15 years of their cricketing history ( out 50+), shall we boot out NZ too ?

Last edited: