• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

predict your test team in 3 years

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
India 2027:

........ I have no idea who the batsmen will be (and can't really bet on anyone playing currently barring Jaiswal); let alone the spinners.

Molehill

International Captain
I realise I'm going out on a massive limb with Vidler, but he has speed and an excellent length. Given that most of the post-quartet quicks either seem too unfit or lack X-factor I wouldn't be surprised if we roll the dice on him. Whether Bartlett stays fit is a big query but he does have the talent, much more so than Morris who feels a one trick pony.
I can maybe see Vidler playing limited overs cricket, but doubt he'll ever be a Test bowler. I know not particularly big lads can have decent fast bowling careers, but just not sure he'll ever have the physicality for it.

So I'll also go out on a limb and say he never plays for Australia......

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Blackcaps in 2027 Tests
1 Latham
Age wise, no doubt he's still a chance to be there. And I hope you're right (if his numbers justify it). But gee, he's been sub-par for 2-3 years. I guess the strong case for that is there's no one else, and it doesn't feel like we want to 'squander' Rachin's talent by opening.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Naming a 2027 team for NZ will be a lot harder than 2020-23 was, given the age of our side. I'd think Southee, at 34, is out. But the rest are 33 and below, and I wouldn't count any out. I think Kane's last series (or summer) will be the 2026-27 Aussie Test tour.

I'd expect the likes of Foulkes, Smith, O'Rourke, Ashok, Hay to be pushing for selection, but not sure if they will be full-timers given the guys ahead of them right now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Age wise, no doubt he's still a chance to be there. And I hope you're right (if his numbers justify it). But gee, he's been sub-par for 2-3 years. I guess the strong case for that is there's no one else, and it doesn't feel like we want to 'squander' Rachin's talent by opening.
He's also picking Henry Cooper as opener, who will be 33 by then and currently hasn't played for NZ - so guessing he thinks there's noone else to open.

NZ's team in three years will have come out the other side of the bowler generation change (no Wagner, Southee, Boult, with Henry a maybe at 35), but will be right in the middle of the batting transition. Conway (35), Williamson (36), Latham (34), Mitchell (35), Blundell (36), Nicholls (35) - hard to predict who might retire when, and who might fade away.

So I'll just pick the bowling:

6/7: Phillips
8: Santner/ Smith (depending on conditions)
9: Jamieson
10: Clarke (or Henry if still going)
11: O'Rourke

Not a huuuuge change from current. have picked Clarke as the most likely contender for the 10 spot. Would love Sears or Fisher to make it and add pace, but not sure they will. Wildcard pick would be J McKay from Otago.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I like the Hail Marys, good on the Cane for throwing in Henry Cooper. That will make him look like the greatest genius of all time. My Henry one had merit but it wasn't exactly inconceivable.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
1. Tom Latham
2. Rand O'Saffa
3, Kane Williamson
4. Rachin Ravindra
5. Mo Abbas
6. Mitch Hay
7. Nathan Smith
8. Zak Foulkes
9. Tim Pringle
10. Kyle Jamieson
11. Will O'Rourke

Man. We're really going to appreciate Latham (again) once he has gone. It's scary out there if you omit him.

Edit: Wait, I forgot Phillips. This will require some re-thought.

ataraxia

International Coach
Phillips
who else but Latham (edit: I suppose there's Young, will opt for him instead)
Conway
Rachin
Mitchell*
Abbas
Hay +
N Smith
Jamieson
Henry
O'Rourke

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Post Aus 4 test tour beatdown on us. Our team will mostly hold on for that tour then get wiped off the park as per usual, and that'll be it for Stead and the golden generation.

Mariu
Severin (our next conversion project)
Ravindra
Young (will hold on for his shot in the middle order)
Mitchell (c)
Phillips
Sunde (wk) (mitch hay too mainstream)
Pringle
Smith
Jamieson
O'Rourke

The current team are all the same age. Going to be a big turnover soon. I could see Southee calling it a day this summer if we get some good results. He's a 35 year old bowler, every test is a bonus now.

SeamUp

International Coach
Ours is easy. Only really Bavuma unlikely to be around. Can see Ngidi & maybe Nortje going pure white ball.

SA
De Zorzi (vc)
Hermann
Markram (c)
Hamza/Breetzke
Bedingham/Stubbs/Brevis
Rickelton/Verreynne
M Jansen/Mulder
Maharaj (vc)
Coetzee (Swanepoel/E Bosch/Boast)
Rabada
Nortje/Burger/Maphaka

Flem274*

123/5
Ours is easy. Only really Bavuma unlikely to be around. Can see Ngidi & maybe Nortje going pure white ball.

SA
De Zorzi (vc)
Hermann
Markram (c)
Hamza/Breetzke
Bedingham/Stubbs/Brevis
Rickelton/Verreynne
M Jansen/Mulder
Maharaj (vc)
Coetzee (Swanepoel/E Bosch/Boast)
Rabada
Nortje/Burger/Maphaka
You can't say it's easy then name 21 players :laugh:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anderson outlasting at least some of the Root/Stokes/Bairstow/etc gen (throw in Buttler/Woakes/Rashid too I guess) is actually plausible now, especially if the former keeps playing half series. Root's 33, which is same age Cook was when he retired from Tests.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Anyone who is not a fan of Australia, India or England might as well not bother answering this :(.

No test team in 3 years.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
England have a number of players who should be on the way out in the Test side, whereas the ODI/T20 sides could be totally different.

Crawley (c)
Duckett (let's hope it's the case with both of these guys)
Pope
Root
Bohannon
Brook
Rew (wk)
Hartley
Atkinson
Potts
Cook (or Josh Tongue)

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
England have a number of players who should be on the way out in the Test side, whereas the ODI/T20 sides could be totally different.

Crawley (c)
Duckett (let's hope it's the case with both of these guys)
Pope
Root
Bohannon
Brook
Rew (wk)
Hartley
Atkinson
Potts
Cook (or Josh Tongue)
No Jimmy 😞😭

howitzer

State Vice-Captain