• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

predict your test team in 3 years

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Kiwi's seem to be pretty much universally agreeing that Southee will be gone in 3 years. It's possible, but important to remember that he's still only 31, isn't exactly going to be in a position to cash in on IPL dosh, and he's been NZ's leading bowler on home soil in the past 2 or 3 seasons. I reckon in 3 years the attack wll be Boult, Southee, Jamieson and either Ferguson or Sears.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Kiwi's seem to be pretty much universally agreeing that Southee will be gone in 3 years. It's possible, but important to remember that he's still only 31, isn't exactly going to be in a position to cash in on IPL dosh, and he's been NZ's leading bowler on home soil in the past 2 or 3 seasons. I reckon in 3 years the attack wll be Boult, Southee, Jamieson and either Ferguson or Sears.
He's 31 but he debuted at 18, I think that's the qualifier with Southee. Different situation to a 31 year old that debuted at 24. To be fair, he has been very very good in the last 24 months. I just think at some point his body is going to slow down to the point he's no longer effective.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yep - I think he'll step up when Southee goes. I know his Test record is trash, but I don't think it's inconceivable that he could become a decent operator if he wants it.
Yeah, it's possible that Henry could become a decent new ball partner to Jamieson or Boult - generally done better in that role than at first change. Wouldn't bank on it, but not out of the realms of possibility.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, it's possible that Henry could become a decent new ball partner to Jamieson or Boult - generally done better in that role than at first change. Wouldn't bank on it, but not out of the realms of possibility.
Yep, that's the only role he's capable of filling, as this suggests:

1st position2017-20202479.01126174/935/11337.283.3067.700view innings
2nd position2016-201958181.034483113/466/10543.902.6698.700view innings
3rd position2015-201957146.124570104/936/19957.003.8987.700view innings
4th position2015-20194454.01019121/492/10795.503.53162.000

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I have to admit that's me taking a few liberties and going for a Hail Mary or two that might make me look like a genius down the line. Certainly Matt Henry opening the bowling in 2023 isn't something I'd put too much money on. I truly believe he's capable of doing it if he wants it, however.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Van Tonder
Breetzke
Hamza
De Kock (c)
Qeshile
Verreynne (wk)
Mulder
Maharaj
Coetzee
Rabada
Ngidi
Leaving Markram out of the team? Don't think van Tonder should open either. Better at 3/4. I agree with you on Coetzee being a great bowler, but he needs to stay on the park for a couple of years after all these injuries. I hoping we don't have another Dupavillon on our hands. Mulder needs to stay on park as well. I think QDK will keep his gloves. I can also still see Elgar being around.

Markram
Breetzke
Van Tonder
Hamza
Verryenne/Qeshile/Makwetu/Petersen
QDK (wk)(c)
Mulder/Linde
Maharaj
Coetzee/Jansen/Sipamla/Nortje/Tait/Linde
Rabada
Ngidi

I have no idea who the 3rd fast bowler will be (do we need one if Mulder is going well!?) And I can't pick the 5th/6th batsmen because of politics and so many almost but not quite there. I also want to see Breetzke do more in the long form, even if talent is undeniable.

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
Leaving Markram out of the team? Don't think van Tonder should open either. Better at 3/4. I agree with you on Coetzee being a great bowler, but he needs to stay on the park for a couple of years after all these injuries. I hoping we don't have another Dupavillon on our hands. Mulder needs to stay on park as well. I think QDK will keep his gloves. I can also still see Elgar being around.

Markram
Breetzke
Van Tonder
Hamza
QDK (wk)(c)
Mulder/Linde
Maharaj
Rabada
Ngidi

I have no idea who the 3rd fast bowler will be (do we need one if Mulder is going well!?) And I can't pick the 5th/6th batsmen because of politics and so many almost but not quite there. I also want to see Breetzke do more in the long form, even if talent is undeniable.
I see couple of names or three I remember from the under 19 WC in NZ couple of years ago. I'm guessing Van Tonder and Breetzke toured with the 19s side then? Coetzee also rins a bell. What happened to Ntini's lad? Is he in the first class set up? Is he doing all right?

As I understand there are two tiers in South Africa as for domestic teams are concerned. One proper first class side and another provincial side like we have here say Wellington Firebirds and Wellington A. That said when they take stats into account all runs are taken into consideration no matter whether it came for a first class side or not. Is my understanding correct about South Africa domestic cricket? In that case how do you know what runs they got for a proper first class side and which ones for province?

1606201140788.png

Which of the above two is proper first class side? Warriors or Eastern Province?

Last edited:

Dendarii

International Debutant

Markram
Breetzke
Van Tonder
Hamza
QDK (wk)(c)
Mulder/Linde
Maharaj
Rabada
Ngidi

I'm actually not sure how I forgot about Markram. :unsure: Van Tonder I put down to open because he opened last season, but he's moved down to three, so maybe his future lies there. And even though I've stated before that De Kock should only give up the gloves if there's someone better as a keeper, I'm not a fan of players captaining and keeper, so I'd rather have someone like Verreynne behind the stumps if De Kock's captain.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
6 franchises teams. Then 3-day provincial teams. By and large though the franchises are not as strong as is ideal because of the failures in administration, quota systems and other nonsense. I have observed that players who do well in 3-day tend consistently tend to do well in franchise as well. Opportunity just does not always come as quick as it should.

Dendarii

International Debutant
What happened to Ntini's lad? Is he in the first class set up? Is he doing all right?
He hasn't played too many games, but he's done OK, even if perhaps he's gone better in the shorter version. He's still only 20, so it's far to early to get an idea as to whether he's going to be good enough for higher honours, but it does look like he's got the potential to at least have a decent domestic career on his own terms and not just because he's Makhaya's son.

As I understand there are two tiers in South Africa as for domestic teams are concerned. One proper first class side and another provincial side like we have here say Wellington Firebirds and Wellington A. That said when they take stats into account all runs are taken into consideration no matter whether it came for a first class side or not. Is my understanding correct about South Africa domestic cricket? In that case how do you know what runs they got for a proper first class side and which ones for province?

View attachment 26359

Which of the above two is proper first class side? Warriors or Eastern Province?
This is one of the annoying things about South African first class stats. I don't actually know the reasons why they decided to go that route, but it can result in misleading figures as a player can look amazing but that's as a result of playing at a lower level. And unfortunately, most sites don't split the first class stats.

The six teams who would be regarded as the proper first class sides are the Cobras, Dolphins, Knights, Titans, and Warriors. The Knights used to be known as the Eagles, but it's been a while since they changed there name, so there wouldn't be too many (if any) current players who played under the older name.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
Smith's only 31 and he's one of the most run hungry batsmen around, he'll play till 37/38 I reckon.
Like all other Human beings , Smith's reflexes will probably slow down with age. Couple slow reflexes with 'shuffling' technique, he will average 30 after turning 35.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Like all other Human beings, Smith's reflexes will probably slow down with age. Couple slow reflexes with 'shuffling' technique, he will average 30 after turning 35.
I'm sorry but this "smith is all reflexes/hand-eye" talk is horse****, people said the same thing during the ashes last year and where rightfully shut down. Someone more knowledgeable on the topic than me can explain it further I'm sure.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
You can't predict Pakistan XI even for next match of the same series :laugh:. But I think these players will be in the team after 3 years if they do not do an UmarAkmal

Imam
Haider
Babar
Rohail Nazir (wk)
Shaheen
Hasnain / Musa Khan
Haris Rauf / Usman Qadir
Naseem

Abid , Shan , Yasir , Abbas & Rizwan are around 30 if we go by their Birth Certificates. So they will not be around after 3 years.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Weatherald
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Head
Green
Scott
Carey
Cummins
JRichardson
Lyon
Oakley

More realistically:

Warner
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Carey
Cummins
JRichardson
Hazlewood
Lyon

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I'm sorry but this "smith is all reflexes/hand-eye" talk is horse****, people said the same thing during the ashes last year and where rightfully shut down. Someone more knowledgeable on the topic than me can explain it further I'm sure.
There's truth to it though, he plays out and around the front of his body a lot. Once he loses a bit of reflex/eye, I think it'll appear apparent quickly, esp to quicker bowlers.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Rachin is a myth and horribly overrated

Harris
Pucovski
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Green
Peirson
Cummins
Starc
Hazlewood
Swepson

Predicting Harris to have a Voges-esque renaissance and for Peirson to become some sort of inexplicable god.