• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Praveen Kumar - where can he fit?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I am actually one of the few people who have defended Ishant on here.
He clearly has talent and still in India in tests is better than Sreesanth ,though Sreesanth is better away mostly(except maybe Australia).

But he is still not a good limited overs bowler and playing him in ODI's would do more harm than benefit to him right now.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ishant really just is crap at one day cricket at this stage of his career. Finishing with a decent strike rate because he gets targeted so heavily and takes a few cheap wickets at the death while going for 10 an over in the process doesn't do the team any good at all. You pump him up for ODI selection all the time but it really, really shouldn't happen.
I dunno, he has looked pretty excellent in this IPL - which is something he has not done previously.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The stats on Praveen Kumar's page say he's a very productive FC bowler, and his performance when not playing for India (ahem, Yusuf Pathan, ahem?) seems a lot better. You'd want to rush him in quickly. For a bowler who bats very low down, he's also got good batting figures- eight over 50 in FC, five over 50 in List-A, with good strike rates. However, his ODI figures are unimpressive, with bat and ball, and he's not cut out for T20. He hasn't ven covered 50 FC matches. The stats don't tell you that he has old ball issues, is only medium-pace, and is a poor fielder. The other Kumar covers these aspects.

That would mean he's still got some ground to cover (12 FC games to play) before being a serious Test contender. He can, however, strike it big as a fifth bowler who can get runs in ODIs, strengthening the bowling attack. A combination of Zaheer, Munaf, Praveen, Bhajji and Ashwin, for instance will be strong, although bowling strike rates are not so impressive.

He's a much better bowler than the Abhishek Nayar clones and as good all round as Yusuf Pathan, although the bigger Pathan is more balanced, and fields better, but not one to pick if you need two spinners. Over a long term, the next two years, for instance, he'll be the best choice. Let's just hope Fletcher doesn't do to him what Chappell did to the younger Pathan. Fletcher would still do a lot of people a favour by working on his fielding, though.

I think Parveen Kumar is very good bowler and he can perform well in all conditions.He never take pressure on his mind and bowl tension free.His spin boll is very effective and confuse the batsman.

onlyjanvi

Banned
I like praveen kumar as bowler, but according to me he doe,s not have so much shharpness in his bowling, I think just now he can,t be perform as solo bowler on ground in test matches, but he fits in T20 cricket.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
A T20I and three ODIs down in the West Indies, let's now see how this shapes up.

Praveen Kumar's bowling still lacks the strike rate, while his batting is yet unexplored. In three ODIs, he's taken only two wickets, and at a poor strike rate, striking less than the much-maligned Yusuf Pathan, who's bowled half as many overs. He's outperformed Yusuf with the bat, although he's had just one innings. He may be rested for the last two ODIs, keeping rotation and burnout in mind.

The bloke doesnt' cut it as a strike bowler, but he's a huge plus over the Abhishek Nayar clones, and a far better bowler than the part-timers, though the latter goes without saying. He's not much of a batsman, but still adds strength to the bottom five, and two more like him (Harbhajan, Ashwin, Mishra? surprise surprise, all spinners) can balance the side well.

Only one of Praveen and Yusuf/part-timers can play. Yusuf is a better all-round selection, but being more of a batsman and also bowling spin (which is India's strength in bowling), he doesn't add the balance needed for the side. Praveen, on the other hand, is more of a bowler, bowls very good seam-up, at times getting swing like the legendary Kapil Dev, and if he can improve his batting a few notches, he can do what they're trying to get from Yusuf in the batting, while offering a full bowling option, though his bowling is still flawed. India have a strong top six, three good spin options, Zaheer around a little longer and Munaf finding his feet in ODIs, Praveen can be India's multiple man.