• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool C - Wales, Australia, Fiji, Georgia, Portugal

Who will qualify from the group?

• Wales

Votes: 7 63.6%
  • Australia

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Fiji

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Georgia

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Portugal

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Molehill

International Captain
I don't really follow the mitigation excuse. If your tackle is reckless and you're relying on the other player moving at the last second, it should be the same as if you'd smacked him square on the head while standing still
It’s pretty clear that Curry’s red would only be a yellow now. They’re finding a lot more ‘mitigation’ now.

Molehill

International Captain
Minnows shouldn't be here though etc
Been saying all along that Portugal have been great, and while they may have been in a weak group, they’ve avoided thrashings and always been competitive.
How did Australia lose to Fiji? They were dreadful.

Niall

International Coach
Been saying all along that Portugal have been great, and while they may have been in a weak group, they’ve avoided thrashings and always been competitive.
How did Australia lose to Fiji? They were dreadful.
Fiji not that good or it Muntz been such a massive loss?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hats off to the Portuguese.

Got to be up there as shocks in WCs go.

Probably still have Japan surprising the Boks in '15 as #1, but this is up there with Western Samoa (as was) beating the Leekists in '91, Tonga stiffing (eventual finalists) France in '11 and Uruguay downing the Fijians last time around.

The French lost their last pool game in 2011 but still made it to a quarter final against England and then on to a semi versus yer Taffs, so good omens for Fiji there.

ashley bach

International Captain
Bravo Portugal, good to see them get some reward for their efforts, they deserved it.

Imagine if they did score another try, the fate of Fiji and the wallies would of hung on the conversion.

Molehill

International Captain
Fiji not that good or it Muntz been such a massive loss?
Muntz was key when Fiji won at Twickenham, but he's not been there all World Cup. Why has there been such a massive drop off since the Wales/Australia games? They had their gap week after those games and it's like they've yet to return.

England were average against Samoa (who played very well), but the Fiji lineout is so poor that you'd think Itoje will be stealing ball all day long.

Ali TT

International Debutant
Maybe nerves playing a part, being relative underdogs against England might spur them on again.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Portugal's win has taken them up to 13th in the rankings - that's above Samoa, Georgia, Tonga and Uruguay and just behind Italy and Japan.

I'd really like to see them play Italy and I see no reason why there shouldn't be a promotion/relegation system for the bottom club in the 6 Nations.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Portugal's win has taken them up to 13th in the rankings - that's above Samoa, Georgia, Tonga and Uruguay and just behind Italy and Japan.

I'd really like to see them play Italy and I see no reason why there shouldn't be a promotion/relegation system for the bottom club in the 6 Nations.
Yeah, that's pretty much hitting the nail on the head.

I'd even go so far as to suggest a play off between whoever finishes bottom of the 6N and the winners of the Rugby Europe Championship. That way, should the latter triumph, there can be no complaining they don't deserve it.

Closed shops clearly stifle growth, and it would have the ancillary benefit of fewer dead rubbers in the 6N too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah, that's pretty much hitting the nail on the head.

I'd even go so far as to suggest a play off between whoever finishes bottom of the 6N and the winners of the Rugby Europe Championship. That way, should the latter triumph, there can be no complaining they don't deserve it.

Closed shops clearly stifle growth, and it would have the ancillary benefit of fewer dead rubbers in the 6N too.
I think we would have probably seen this by now were it not for the regular comfortable champions of the REC being just too far and too unfashionable for the Six Nations members to want to go there. Spain and Portugal away days are probably a lot more sellable.

Molehill

International Captain
I think we would have probably seen this by now were it not for the regular comfortable champions of the REC being just too far and too unfashionable for the Six Nations members to want to go there. Spain and Portugal away days are probably a lot more sellable.
Yeah, Portugal are credible contenders now and who wouldn't fancy an away day to Lisbon?

I like the play off idea too, Italy v Portugal for a place in the following year's 6 Nations would be an awesome game with lots riding on it.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd love it to happen but it would just be too much of a risk for the other 6N countries to willingly take on. IIRC Scotland, Wales, and France have all finished last since it went to 6, and a whole year out of the tournament feels like a big price to pay given that none of them were too far off being competitive again.

I'd support it anyway, I just prefer open competition with promotion and relegation on principle, but I can see why they don't do it.