• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool B - South Africa, Ireland, Scotland, Tonga, Romania

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ah what we're contractually obliged to call the Group of Death™.

Rough draw for the Sweaties, who I'd take to beat us about seven times out of ten right now.

Tempting to say it's a straight shoot out between them and yer Micks for second place, but I'd say RSA/Ireland is a 50/50 call right now.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going out in the group stages with this team would be ****ing brutal, but it’s a real possibility. I can see three teams ending with three wins each and someone going out with only one loss.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
SAs no 10 is a big problem with Pollard out. Effects the kicking from T as well, I think SA gonna struggle against teams that keep it tight.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Going out in the group stages with this team would be ****ing brutal, but it’s a real possibility. I can see three teams ending with three wins each and someone going out with only one loss.
It would be terrible for Ireland to not get through after the last 4 years they've had.

Molehill

International Captain
Can't see Ireland not going through, think I'd still fancy them to beat SA to be honest, their pack is just so good in open play. But a reminder Ireland have never won a knockout match in the World Cup, and with either NZ or France waiting, that run looks like it could continue, despite being so highly ranked.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Having one of the tougher group games to finish is also something that caused us huge problems in 2015. We might need to battle through a must-win game against Scotland and then meet a NZ team fresh off a game with Uruguay and a couple of days extra rest.

It's not supposed to be easy though. Hopefully we play some good rugby because the creative passing game under Farrell is something that no other Ireland team I can remember has had.

ripper868

International Coach
Tonga could cause some problems here as well, aside the usual 'sore bodies' that come with matches against the PI teams, there's a few familiar names in the Tonga Squad - notably Israel Folau and Malaki Fekitoa. Add in an Augustine Pulu and Charles Piatau and there's a fair bit of (old?) lightning in the Tongan jar.

Heboric

International Debutant
If there was a World Cup for doom and gloomers us South Africans would be permanent champions. Anyways.

Really think we will make it out of the group even with the loss of Pollard

ripper868

International Coach
If there was a World Cup for doom and gloomers us South Africans would be permanent champions. Anyways.

Really think we will make it out of the group even with the loss of Pollard
I think Libbock has looked plenty capable from the tests I've seen, besides, it's your 1-8 that win it for you, then the 11-14-15 that decide how much

Dendarii

International Debutant
I think Libbock has looked plenty capable from the tests I've seen, besides, it's your 1-8 that win it for you, then the 11-14-15 that decide how much
There's been some negativity around Libbok, which I think is a little unjustified. He does seem to be one of those players where people remember his mistakes much more than all the good things he does.

That's not to say that there isn't some concern with him being the only recognised flyhalf in the squad and inexperienced at international level, but it's certainly not as bad as some of the doom and gloom merchants are making it out to be.

Heboric

International Debutant
Come on Jacques and Rassie give us a 8 - 0 split bench for a World Cup game. Do it for the absolutely wonderful Matt Williams it will make his day :laugh:

Dendarii

International Debutant
Come on Jacques and Rassie give us a 8 - 0 split bench for a World Cup game. Do it for the absolutely wonderful Matt Williams it will make his day :laugh:
The Romania game would be perfect for all sorts of bonkers selections. Faf at flyhalf, Snyman at centre, De Allende at flank, Reinach and Williams on the wings, an 8-0 bench - it would be the most Rassie move ever.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Late to the game, looking at the tries in the first half Romania must have had a fairly hilarious missed conversion? Looks like the scrum half more or less got in under the posts.

Molehill

International Captain
Given what we've seen so far between the Northern and Southern Hemisphere teams, I would not be surprised if Scotland run this one really close.