• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool B - Argentina, England, Georgia, Romania, Scotland

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Lawes has been cited for the knee to Ledesma. WC over? Odd bit of thuggery aside, I thought he was awesome against the Argies.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lawes has been cited for the knee to Ledesma.
Good call. I thought he could easily have pulled out of that one. Mind you, probably not as blatant as Quade Cooper's recent knee to Richie McCaw, and he got off scott free, so expect no censure to come from it.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I think in general, England were much better in possession than people are giving credit for. I'm not saying they were good, but when the ball was recycled for a few phases, rather then Wilkinson just threading a kick through, we looked just about alright.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Good call. I thought he could easily have pulled out of that one. Mind you, probably not as blatant as Quade Cooper's recent knee to Richie McCaw, and he got off scott free, so expect no censure to come from it.
Cite worthy at the very least. Agree that Cooper's was worse as it looked deliberate and snide, but big Courts was at best clumsy and a 19st lock kneeing you in the head is more likely to do so serious damage than a milksop 5/8.

My guess is that he'll get two games.

Our next two games being Georgia and Romania, of course.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cite worthy at the very least. Agree that Cooper's was worse as it looked deliberate and snide, but big Courts was at best clumsy and a 19st lock kneeing you in the head is more likely to do so serious damage than a milksop 5/8.

I wasn't particulary enamoured with his late challenge minutes before that's taken an Argentine player out of the Cup, but it's harder to claim he could have pulled out of that one. And yeah, agree with your view on Cooper's knee. Richie just looked a bit peeved to get a knee in the face, as opposed to being clean knocked out by it.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Reportedly if Lawes is found guilty, he'll face a minimum of three weeks' suspension. He certainly didn't intend to knock out Ledesma - his knee striking wasn't deliberate unlike Cooper on McCaw - so it'll be interesting if hes suspended.

ripper868

International Coach
Bah - Cooper on McCaw was compeltely accidental :ph34r: - same way McCaw playing halfback for the opposition is accidental.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
So despite the offence holding a penalty of between 3 and 12 weeks, Lawes has got off with 2 weeks which is a little odd; I don't think he deserved much more than 2 weeks though thats interesting they've somewhat bended the rules for him.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So despite the offence holding a penalty of between 3 and 12 weeks, Lawes has got off with 2 weeks which is a little odd; I don't think he deserved much more than 2 weeks though thats interesting they've somewhat bended the rules for him.

Nostra-****ing-damus, me. :cool:

Nah, was a painfully obvious fudge just waiting to happen. Lawes gets the token slap on the wrist and we cop it sweet because he'll be back for when he's needed.

ripper868

International Coach
Georgia looking good here, hope they can maintain the physicality for 80 minutes - some bloody big boys in that pack.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty average match, I had originally tipped Scotland as a side to really look out for at the WC but they really struggled to break down a solid but hardly dominant Georgian side; given their efforts tonight plus their narrow win over Romania I doubt England and Argentina are shaking in their boots.

social

Pretty average match, I had originally tipped Scotland as a side to really look out for at the WC but they really struggled to break down a solid but hardly dominant Georgian side; given their efforts tonight plus their narrow win over Romania I doubt England and Argentina are shaking in their boots.
Scotland are completely rank

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Scotland are a very paradoxical team; hard to beat but find it equally hard to win. Very good at the break down, strong line out, competitive but slightly lightweight scrum but no cutting edge at all.

Struggle to cross the whitewash even more than we do.

Fancy them v the Argies tho, just quietly.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Encouraging start for England ruined by a powdefpuff scrum in their own 22. Saved from conceding by a stray foot in touch.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
England fortunate to be in such a **** group. Look complete ****house. Georgia are awful, missed 3 pens, made numerous handling areas and keep losing their own line-out but they have been the better side thus far. Scary to think that England and Scotland will likely progress from here and that England should get to the semis at least.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England fortunate to be in such a **** group. Look complete ****house. Georgia are awful, missed 3 pens, made numerous handling areas and keep losing their own line-out but they have been the better side thus far. Scary to think that England and Scotland will likely progress from here and that England should get to the semis at least.
I think "should" puts it strongly. We've a decent chance against the French, but it wouldn't be a massive surprise if they turned us over.

Stevens being schooled up front tho. Not a massive surprise given he plays all his rugby on the tight head side for Sarries now.