• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - England, Samoa, South Africa, Tonga, United States

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The worrying thing is, is that SA didn't even play that well, du Preez had an awesome game.
Indeed. South Africa really didn’t get out of first gear last night and didn’t need to but how anyone expected England to win this game is probably gone in the head. To win you need to score points, how can you do that when you have no backs?
And when you consider that the majority of the back line wouldn’t beat CJ van der Linde in a sprint, it comes as no surprise to see that England were never going to trouble the scorers in ‘open play’.

What makes me laugh the most is that Brian Ashton came into the job saying England were now going to play expansive rugby, what a crock of ****e.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dire is the word.

I mean, I don't mind losing, God knows having been an English sports fan for over a quarter of a century I'm used to it by now, but to see such an inept & gutless display from the nominal world champions is pretty hard to stomach. We (with the admirable exception of the sadly hamstrung Robinson) never looked like troubling the yarps. I thought the moment that summed up the whole match was when Billy, having made a clean break, pirouetted fully 360 looking for support but there was none. He's too good for us, really.

Ashton's thinking is just wrongheaded at times too, WTF did he take off Rees when clearly we needed pace & quick ball & left on the clearly out of his depth Easter? Moody to 6 (where he plays for the English champions) & Corry to 8 (ditto) was the move.

Samoa FTW. Put us out of our misery.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought Easter was decent, from what I seen. Lewis Moody is the best loose forward England have IMO, should be starting every game.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I thought Easter was decent, from what I seen. Lewis Moody is the best loose forward England have IMO, should be starting every game.
Decent, but really limited. Big, but little pace & ordinary distribution.

Anyway, fair play to Tonga. They've just earned the gratitude of all of English Rugby. :thumbsup:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is it just me or is Bob Skinstad horrible over-rated?
Talented and has good hands, but seems to lack a bit of heart sometimes. The fact he spent about 3 years just dicking about when he should've been at his peak suggests he's not fully commited to Rugby.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
...i missed that...what happened to him?
He got his neck into an awkward position during a ruck and got it pushed back so that his ear was touching his shoulder, didn't look too bad for a start but they took him off in the stretcher.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
He got his neck into an awkward position during a ruck and got it pushed back so that his ear was touching his shoulder, didn't look too bad for a start but they took him off in the stretcher.
..hope hes ok..haven't heard anything said about it since...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Horrible to see, hope he's fine.

Tonga have giving it a real lash tho, it must be said. Pretorius's kicking has been about their best player tho. Smit goes over as I type.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
...wow...Tonga really having a great game here...another try...27- 22..great stuff