• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool A - Australia, England, Wales, Fiji, Uruguay

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
re: Pocock.

His running game has improved so much. Perhaps it was those knee reconstructions holding him back earlier as he was a bit of a one-dimensional player in my eyes but he's been massive lately. Consistently breaking the advantage line which is something I hadn't seen from him.

Certainly a form player.
His performance against SA in 2011 was arguably the greatest individual forward performance in WC history

It's not about form but fitness as the only thing standing between him and all time greatness is longevity IMO

BTW, I am not counting any chickens yet as I can see Oz going out in straight sets - lose to Wales and we play SA

Win next week and we should make the final & that will be a clash for the ages against the ABs

Last edited:

ripper868

International Coach
Yeah, think he was a bit embarrassed receiving that award.

Like Socail I owe Bernard an apology as well, he tore them to shreds. Genia was (in my live watching opinion anyway) getting towards his best again, passes were on the money and his direction to the pack was superb. Contrast with Phipps who threw 0 completions from 2 attempts for -70 metres and a gift 3 points when he came on. Mind he did settle well.

The other guy who deserves some love is Kurtley Beale - i still may not like him as a bloke, but gee he did well on the wing and at 15 when Izzy went off.

Can anyone tell me what happened last time we had a 10 named Bernie playing at 10 in a UK World Cup?

Now to beat Wales, lock in top spot and the 'easier' run to the final - though Argentina have been brilliant, and shouldn't be discounted (neither should the French or the Irish)

91Jmay

International Coach
Michael Hooper banned for only one game for dangerous, yellow card at least worthy, no arm clear out. Clearly just because they don't want him out of the Quarter finals, bit of a joke given some of the bans given to smaller teams.

ripper868

International Coach
Michael Hooper banned for only one game for dangerous, yellow card at least worthy, no arm clear out. Clearly just because they don't want him out of the Quarter finals, bit of a joke given some of the bans given to smaller teams.
Yeah, especially given Tom Wood is free to play for kicking a guys head in, Sam Burgess free to play for a high shot and Owen Farrell for a shoulder charge nowhere near the ball. Dan Cole as well for his shoulder on Bernard Foley. If you watch from both angles you'll see their is a hint of arms in Hoopers clean out, stupid as it was, and his cleanish record has helped as well in seeing it be only one week.

Do agree that the minnow teams have been harshly treated.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Weren't some of those you mentioned classed as worthy of a yellow card and hence added to tournament tallies whereas Hooper's was classed as worthy of a red though?

91Jmay

International Coach
Burgess was a yellow, Wood was lucky to escape a ban. Farrell's was a nonsense penalty/card as Aus back was long way offside. Dan Cole was barely a penalty.

Hooper could easily have seen red, was a shocking deliberate head-shot. Meanwhile Tuilagi has been banned 5 weeks for carrying the ball

social

Tuilagi's ban is outrageous.
Length of ban maybe but unquestionably dangerous

Used to be common practice in league and they have attempted to stamp it out

Reckon he'd get 2 weeks in the NRL

Last edited:

social

Terrible match so far with Wales content to spoil and hoof it high at every opportunity and Oz having no continuity

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Aus boys decide to make a game of it by going 13 against 15.

If Wales can't capitalise on this ....

social

Great win from Oz but too much one-out stuff from Wales when we were down to 13

Bizarro world when Oz have a dominant scrum, good goal-kicker and never really looked like scoring a try

Spark

Global Moderator
Great win from Oz but too much one-out stuff from Wales when we were down to 13

Bizarro world when Oz have a dominant scrum, good goal-kicker and never really looked like scoring a try
In fairness, Wales gave away breakdown penalties every time we attacked the 22, so it's not like we got that many opportunities

social

In fairness, Wales gave away breakdown penalties every time we attacked the 22, so it's not like we got that many opportunities
Whilst the Oz cards were fair enough, you have to wonder how Wales got away with it as it seemed like a fairly blatant tactic

Reckon it worked against them in the end as they weren't able to play expansive rugby when they had the numerical advantage i.e. mindset was to spoil, keep it tight, etc and they couldn't change

Spark

Global Moderator
Whilst the Oz cards were fair enough, you have to wonder how Wales got away with it as it seemed like a fairly blatant tactic

Reckon it worked against them in the end as they weren't able to play expansive rugby when they had the numerical advantage i.e. mindset was to spoil, keep it tight, etc and they couldn't change
Yeah the ref took an age to warn them about what they were pretty obviously doing IMO.

Niall

International Coach
Awesome stuff from Aus when 13 men down, but no composure from Wales whatsoever, numerous chances to go wide when numerical advantage, North botched a try and turned down penalty points.

Australia have been the best side however so far, lovely draw now, bookies may disagree, but I think their is very very little between them and NZ.